Build a Radio

badrisuper

Hi All,
I like to build a radio. I want to design a radio with analog out. Anyone ever tried or have any idea please share your ideas.

Thanks in Advance
Badri M

Hi,

There are quite a few variants - "valve based", semiconductors(transistors) and so on. In addition you need to also decide what frequencies you want to cover, MW, SW as also the modulation - AM/FM. Now a days we also have integrated chips which does a lot of the functions without having to build one out of various components - e.g. BEL used to make a single chip for FM.

Doing the traditional way with discrete components would also require tools such as signal generators, scopes and so on. Depends on how deep you want to get into.

I built quite a few some 25 odd years back of various functionalities...of course all discrete components were used....

HTH

I enjoy building equipment too. My first project was an ignition system to launch rockets. It was nothing more than a nichrome wire that lit fire to a rocket engine fuze. I spent some considerable hours on the bench outside the principal's office for launching a rocket in the school yard.

For a radio project consider a kit like this one. It is not expensive and will give you a wealth of experience going forward.

Amazon.com: AM/FM Radio Kit/Trainer (requires assembly-advanced): Toys & Games

i have built match box size radio in +2 , kit comes from kits and spares of Efy , paid 50/- for that with cabinet and shipping,I got 2 kits ..one was gifted to a fren, both has one innovative flat ferrite rod ,a 2x3 cm pcb took 1 AAA cell to run ,it was so cute and fun;)

really enjoyed AM on that ,although sound was weak

designing bigger radio is tough , bpb publications have many books , i have one at hometown on valve radio

Last edited:
I had built one AM radio some 18-20 years ago.
It was based on ZN414 IC (a 3 pin IC in a transistor-like package). It reqd only a few external components and could drive a small 2" speaker or headphones.
Its a good fun project for beginners.

I like to build a radio with analog output. You people have any ideas. I checked Elenco Am/Fm radio kit. But still dont have clear idea.

All radios mentioned here have analogue audio out, if that is what you meant.
Radio broadcast in India is analogue only.

HI
I built a two transistor AM radio way back in 1969, bought the parts form Lamington road for approx Rs.35/-. It gave me great pleasure to hear it.

I had made one with a integrated SONY chip a decade ago (was a efy project). Don't remember the number though. Kits based on the same series are available locally and I have used one in my friends radio set. Possibly this one.

CXA1019AS datasheet pdf datenblatt - Sony Corporation - FM / AM ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

If implemented well can provide a decent stereo sound when used for FM although FM quality is considered equivalent to 64 kbps MP3 files.

I think that EFY article was called "Versatile FM stereo receiver ..." and appeared in January 1999 issue. Kits using equivalent IC (CXA1619) are available in local markets for Rs. 80/- with tuning but are wired for FM only. However this may not be a problem for you since AM transmissions are not very common these days.
Adding an FM stereo decoder based on TEA1330 (equivalent BA1330 also available in local market) is explained in the article mentioned.
Thanks to Audiodoc, you reminded me of my hobbyist days! :)

Last edited:
many china 100Rs cheap radios use sony chip spechially the kchibo...may be altering these with some quality components will be even better
- fit a diy tuning dial
-bigger enclosure
-good audio stage and 3 incher sweet singing speaker from vintage radio
-finally integrate a 3.6v rechargeable battery back

Slightly going OT, cud I mod such FM receivers to go beyond 108 MHz ? am interested in going to 120 so that it can be used as a scanner ...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back