Building a 3-way TL speaker

newlash09, I would suggest do come down to Mumbai and hear the speaker before it’s sent to you. Once you hear them, any changes that you may want could still be incorporated.

Thanks for the advise prem :)

I will definitely be visiting Mumbai for a listen. Mostly will bring my own amplification too. So any changes if necessary in the voicing of the speakers, can still be done before I take delivery. Thanks :)

Mundrof looks good choice as many HiFi speakers(B&W, Dynaudio) do use them.Budget HiFi speakers use PP caps from Bennic, Spirit or Yontex.

Hi spirovious :)

The mundorf caps are actually planned for the crossover. But since a cross over design, even after months of simulation, was always going to be a hit or a miss. And usually leads to a lots of wastage. We decided to go with what was available locally...So once the crossover as finalised.. we could swap the components with better expensive ones.

Caps change the sound. Using different caps give you different sound. So better finalise now.

Thanks again prem :)

Caps do change the sound. But the idea was to nail the crossover frequencies for the passive crossovers build. So once that was confirmed.. we could replace the crossover components witb expensive ones without entailing wastage :)

Hi all :)

Thought I could jump in now into the discussion :)

First and foremost.. I would like to say that iam thankfull that Hari sir has accepted my request to undertake this time consuming build on my behalf.

Money is always secondary.. I could never make up for the months of simulation that went into the cabinet design or the driver choice or the cross over design. So I will be ever gratefull to hari sir..for undertaking this build on my behalf. Just for kicks..it might help to know that each speaker weighs 100 kg +

This is a one of a kind build. Which is very very custom to my specific room and listening habits.

I started this journey with a thread called...has anyone heard the new Kef r series. And I was coming from PMC twenty 26 speakers. So they were really big boots to fill for my next speaker.

As the conversation prolonged...I realised that no ready made speaker could satisfy my exact needs.
So on a hunch, as suggested by @prem...I reached out to hari sir. With a request to kindly build my next speakers that would gell in my room, and still best the present PMC speakers . We just spoke and discussed it down to the last detail for months.. before the whole build started.

So I guess what You see in those pics is pretty much my next speaker :)

But please bear in mind that this is not a cheap build. Every single driver here is top of the line from their respective companies . And the component cost alone is huge. But Iam still very very happy I went down this custom route.

Thanks a ton for reading :)

We, the audiophile friends in Hyderabad are eagerly waiting to listen to these speakers, from finish wise they don't look anything less than the renowned Wilson Audio speakers ; the fact that such an herculean DIY effort will be within our city limits soon, is a cause enough for celebration!!!
:):)

They're looking quite good, considering the components and hardworking involved, they'd be sounding awesome as well..
Congratulations @Hari Iyer and @newlash09. Can't wait to listen to them.

We, the audiophile friends in Hyderabad are eagerly waiting to listen to these speakers, from finish wise they don't look anything less than the renowned Wilson Audio speakers ; the fact that such an herculean DIY effort will be within our city limits soon, is a cause enough for celebration!!!
:):)

They're looking quite good, considering the components and hardworking involved, they'd be sounding awesome as well..
Congratulations @Hari Iyer and @newlash09. Can't wait to listen to them.

Thanks a ton karthik.. for your kind words :)

I just hope the rest of my chain...more importantly my room.. do justice to the time and effort that has gone into building these :)

We will all have a listen come May next year I guess:)

My take is that the tweeter is the difference between an excellent, good or average sounding speaker. Hence, it follows that the tweeter circuit use the best components. It's OK to use less than best components for the other circuits.

Thanks again prem :)

Caps do change the sound. But the idea was to nail the crossover frequencies for the passive crossovers build. So once that was confirmed.. we could replace the crossover components witb expensive ones without entailing wastage :)

I Believe, tuning is the crucial part for integrating three drivers together. Combination of xover and slope needs to be concluded by tweaking the analog circuit and auditioning. It's a tedious task in passive world.

My take is that the tweeter is the difference between an excellent, good or average sounding speaker. Hence, it follows that the tweeter circuit use the best components. It's OK to use less than best components for the other circuits.
I concur, they eventually get Mundorf EVO oil later.

I Believe, tuning is the crucial part for integrating three drivers together. Combination of xover and slope needs to be concluded by tweaking the analog circuit and auditioning. It's a tedious task in passive world.
Equally difficult in active too. It has many variables, driver spacing, voice coil centering, internal wired used, amplifier speed for all three active amplifiers to name a few. Even if your tweeter and midrange integrate well, leave it there and don't loose your sleep with the woofers.

PMC speakers are

Hi balavignesh :)

The PMC are really fast speakers. They rock out on rock, EDM and punk etc. And that was the bulk of my listening when I got them. Subsequently Iam listening to a lots of vocals, especially female vocals. So was feeling them a bit dry sounding there. So this new speaker build was to establish a very emotional connect with the singer for vocals.

Subsequently, after trying different amps, I've finally settled with tubes for the PMC . They do sound great on female vocals now, but tubes or atleast class A amplification is a must for them. I really wouldn't suggest SS with the PMC.

The PMC will be shifting to my HT system once the new speakers arrive. As I don't have room for a dedicated sub, the PMC should really rock the bass there, and probably cover some ground that usually a dedicated sub fills.

FM Sachin Chavan is planning to listen these speakers today.

Thanks @Hari Iyer for the invite. It was a privilege and pleasure. Let me capture my impressions here.

Firstly, let me say that I am easily the technologically most ignorant member on this thread. So no pretence about understanding what I don’t. Guys, please tone down your expectations from this report.

Having clarified that, let me first express my emotion about this project itself. Having known Hari for over a year, I have been extremely impressed with his passion for technology - not just at knowledge level, but even at the level of creating. He is also one of the most truthful (painfully so at times) persons I know and that’s how true technologists are. I said painfully because every time he hears my optimisations with my entry level system, I have to be ready for almost no appreciation, but very keenly spotted specific gaps being highlighted. Knowing a bit or two about personality types (as well as Hari), I am able to now take it, and keep working on the gap pointed out. Hari has built speakers and systems in the past, but this is the first project he has undertaken since I met him. So I’ve been curious myself. Reading the technical discussion on the thread is mostly a bouncer for me, so I was eagerly waiting for the opportunity to actually listen. For a full-time professional to dedicate so much time and effort is a testimony to his passion and I find that highly admirable.

And then @newlash09 ! Arts and technology have evolved and prospered over the centuries because there were benevolent sponsors. Whether in the form of kings, noblemen or more recently some business houses and governments. It’s not transactional and cannot be measured in terms of monetary returns. And therefore requires a leap of faith along with generosity to commision projects of art and technology that speak of individuality and passion. Having resources is not the only qualifier. I admire newlash09’s adventurous and encouraging spirit. (A reference to @prem is due here too as the networker connecting the two).

Now let me get to the listening session (I can hear some ‘hussshh’ here).

I had seen the photos beforehand, but for someone who hadn’t, the sight of the speakers is itself a shocking experience! They look so different from the staid vertical boxes we are so used to. They were still delightful to me, especially to touch and feel the deco painted surface - the color combo oozing individuality. Two shape references come to mind - the ATM machine (Any Time Music?) and the Emperor Penguin. Am so glad newlash09 didn’t go for the usual wood veneer (something like most, I too am used to as default). Am sure there must be contextual blending reasons behind it.

Coming to the sound (I heard old Hindi, Norah Jones, Allan Taylor, Dave Brubeck and Led Zepp), let me share the first impression as I settled down and Hari put an old Hindi LP (the only LP I heard before moving onto the CDs I carried). The immediate feeling was: “this sounds right”. Followed immediately by “this connects emotionally with me”. And doesn’t seem to be making much effort to impress me, but just conveys emotion in an easy manner. This feeling remained through the CDs too.

I think (rather, guess) Hari has got the crossovers right as the sound felt very coherent across the frequency range. Coming from a tall 3 way, that’s quite an achievement. The mids are at ear level instead of the tweeter which made me wonder for a second why was it still sounding right, before Hari helped me see how the upper part of the cabinet is slope forward. I’d think this will suit a mid field listening position the best - say anywhere between 4 to 8 feet from the speaker plane. Hari’s room didn’t allow me to listen from far field, so cannot confirm this.

The imaging seemed good to me (I feel a bit charlatanish using these terms as I have heard so few systems). But I tried moving from one lateral wall to another and the image stayed at the center.

As of now, the speakers’ strength seems to be the mid-range, especially vocals. Hari helped me see that the tweeters would take 300 hrs to open up fully, so the voice will undergo a change, most likely for the better. But even as of now it’s very enjoyable to listen to vocals for prolonged periods. I’d like to listen again after some more break in as right now I felt the airiness in the treble lacking. The sound therefore, coupled with Hari’s tube amplification, is on slightly warmer side.

While the vocals were enjoyable, Jazz (Take Five) sounded quite engaging, but when the volume was raised a bit. I’d like more transient here, especially when the sax kicks in.

There are various ways to see sound. One of the ways I see it ason a continuum from melody to rhythm. These speakers (with the tubes) are towards the melody side and consequently may gain from a bit of enhancement on the rhythm side. One way is to couple with SS amp (we’ve decided to bring my Audiolab integrated next time). Or else with the packing inside the woofer cabinet. Hari said it was thicker earlier, and consequently the bass was fast but thin. He has already removed half of that packing. My personal optimum lies somewhere between that half and full quantity. A bit more of speed and separation in the bass so that it can play faster music like Rock too. It can enhance the rhythm a bit without compromising much on the lovely melody.

But since this is a custom-built, what matters is the user needs and preference. Reading newlash09’s post here I see that he is aiming for a system in contrast to the PMCs. And if he is going to be using these speakers in a more private room, a study or a bedroom... it’s more likely to be for melodious, soothing music than energetic, blood-pumping music. I can see how these speakers could be ideal to listen to in the night as one is winding down. Something like preferring warm yellow light instead of bright white light. Something that helps you relax than excite you. Mistake not, these aren’t warm in a fuzzy way, there’s good clarity.

What I couldn’t test was the soundstage. And that’s because for the size of the speakers Hari’s room isn’t wide enough to separate them sufficiently apart. Ideally they need to be at least 7 ft apart (my gut feel totally) to get enough separation between instruments in a busy piece like Stairway to Heaven.

That’s my overall impression. Have I missed anything? I guess that’s most of it. I understand that this is a trial crossover to set the design and build parameters. Once the higher end crossover comes in, the sound will be further refined. And by then the tweeter would have broken in too. I am waiting for a second or third listen when that happens.

Ok, here’s the last bit on the admiration. How can I forget the forum! How on earth would these three guys have come together to effectuate this kind of a project without such a forum! While there are a number or value propositions the forum offers (trouble shooting, decision making, awareness & education, buying and selling etc.), this one is the pinnacle - when one FM brings two others - one a generous connoisseur and the other a passionate technopreneur together to create something that can only further the love for sound for all involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats !
Thanks for sharing the build and review. How much was the total cost of the build ?
Thanks and regards.

Thanks @Hari Iyer for the invite. It was a privilege and pleasure. Let me capture my impressions here.

Firstly, let me say that I am easily the technologically most ignorant member on this thread. So no pretence about understanding what I don’t. Guys, please tone down your expectations from this report.

Having clarified that, let me first express my emotion about this project itself. Having known Hari for over a year, I have been extremely impressed with his passion for technology - not just at knowledge level, but even at the level of creating. He is also one of the most truthful (painfully so at times) persons I know and that’s how true technologists are. I said painfully because every time he hears my optimisations with my entry level system, I have to be ready for almost no appreciation, but very keenly spotted specific gaps being highlighted. Knowing a bit or two about personality types (as well as Hari), I am able to now take it, and keep working on the gap pointed out. Hari has built speakers and systems in the past, but this is the first project he has undertaken since I met him. So I’ve been curious myself. Reading the technical discussion on the thread is mostly a bouncer for me, so I was eagerly waiting for the opportunity to actually listen. For a full-time professional to dedicate so much time and effort is a testimony to his passion and I find that highly admirable.

And then @newlash09 ! Arts and technology have evolved and prospered over the centuries because there were benevolent sponsors. Whether in the form of kings, noblemen or more recently some business houses and governments. It’s not transactional and cannot be measured in terms of monetary returns. And therefore requires a leap of faith along with generosity to commision projects of art and technology that speak of individuality and passion. Having resources is not the only qualifier. I admire newlash09’s adventurous and encouraging spirit. (A reference to @prem is due here too as the networker connecting the two).

I had seen the photos beforehand, but for someone who hadn’t, the sight of the speakers is itself a shocking experience! They look so different from the staid vertical boxes we are so used to. They were still delightful to me, especially to touch and feel the deco painted surface - the color combo oozing individuality. Two shape references come to mind - the ATM machine (Any Time Music?) and the Emperor Penguin. Am so glad newlash09 didn’t go for the usual wood veneer (something like most, I too am used to as default). Am sure there must be contextual blending reasons behind it.

Coming to the sound (I heard old Hindi, Norah Jones, Allan Taylor, Dave Brubeck and Led Zepp), let me share the first impression as I settled down and Hari put an old Hindi LP (the only LP I heard before moving onto the CDs I carried). The immediate feeling was: “this sounds right”. Followed immediately by “this connects emotionally with me”. And doesn’t seem to be making much effort to impress me, but just conveys emotion in an easy manner. This feeling remained through the CDs too.

I think (rather, guess) Hari has got the crossovers right as the sound felt very coherent across the frequency range. Coming from a tall 3 way, that’s quite an achievement. The mids are at ear level instead of the tweeter which made me wonder for a second why was it still sounding right, before Hari helped me see how the upper part of the cabinet is slope forward. I’d think this will suit a mid field listening position the best - say anywhere between 4 to 8 feet from the speaker plane. Hari’s room didn’t allow me to listen from far field, so cannot confirm this.

The imaging seemed good to me (I feel a bit charlatanish using these terms as I have heard so few systems). But I tried moving from one lateral wall to another and the image stayed at the center.

As of now, the speakers’ strength seems to be the mid-range, especially vocals. Hari helped me see that the tweeters would take 300 hrs to open up fully, so the voice will undergo a change, most likely for the better. But even as of now it’s very enjoyable to listen to vocals for prolonged periods. I’d like to listen again after some more break in as right now I felt the airiness in the treble lacking. The sound therefore, coupled with Hari’s tube amplification, is on slightly warmer side.

While the vocals were enjoyable, Jazz (Take Five) sounded quite engaging, but when the volume was raised a bit. I’d like more transient here, especially when the sax kicks in.

There are various ways to see sound. One of the ways I see it ason a continuum from melody to rhythm. These speakers (with the tubes) are towards the melody side and consequently may gain from a bit of enhancement on the rhythm side. One way is to couple with SS amp (we’ve decided to bring my Audiolab integrated next time). Or else with the packing inside the woofer cabinet. Hari said it was thicker earlier, and consequently the bass was fast but thin. He has already removed half of that packing. My personal optimum lies somewhere between that half and full quantity. A bit more of speed and separation in the bass so that it can play faster music like Rock too. It can enhance the rhythm a bit without compromising much on the lovely melody.

But since this is a custom-built, what matters is the user needs and preference. Reading newlash09’s post here I see that he is aiming for a system in contrast to the PMCs. And if he is going to be using these speakers in a more private room, a study or a bedroom... it’s more likely to be for melodious, soothing music than energetic, blood-pumping music. I can see how these speakers could be ideal to listen to in the night as one is winding down. Something like preferring warm yellow light instead of bright white light. Something that helps you relax than excite you. Mistake not, these aren’t warm in a fuzzy way, there’s good clarity.

What I couldn’t test was the soundstage. And that’s because for the size of the speakers Hari’s room isn’t wide enough to separate them sufficiently apart. Ideally they need to be at least 7 ft apart (my gut feel totally) to get enough separation between instruments in a busy piece like Stairway to Heaven.

That’s my overall impression. Have I missed anything? I guess that’s most of it. I understand that this is a trial crossover to set the design and build parameters. Once the higher end crossover comes in, the sound will be further refined. And by then the tweeter would have broken in too. I am waiting for a second or third listen when that happens.

Ok, here’s the last bit on the admiration. How can I forget the forum! How on earth would these three guys have come together to effectuate this kind of a project without such a forum! While there are a number or value propositions the forum offers (trouble shooting, decision making, awareness & education, buying and selling etc.), this one is the pinnacle - when one FM brings two others - one a generous connoisseur and the other a passionate technopreneur together to create something that can only further the love for sound for all involved.
Thanks Sachin for taking time to come down and review the speakers. Much appreciated. I have taken your opinion about bass could be more tight - I adjusted stuffing in the line and now they sound much tighter and relaxed. The impedance curve and phase also benefited. You can give your impressions once again when we meet on Saturday.

After Sachin's visit yesterday, i measured the speakers once again as i was not happy with a peak at 3.5KHz and wanted the response to be flat in the midrange. I tried many things like tweeter level, contour ckts etc, but the required level was not achieved even with many configurations.
Without Emblem.jpg

If you review the above SPL there is a dip in the FR begin 1KHz and after that a peak centered at around 3.5KHz. After evaluation, i discovered that this was not due to the response of the tweeter or midrange but because of the sloping baffle between the mids and the tweeter. I converted the 3.5Khz to wavelength and found it to be 3.82 inches centered between the tweeter center and the slope. As this was an acoustic issue, this would have been difficult to correct electrically. This can also be noticed in the minimum phase curve

Having a felt on the sloping baffle would have mitigated the issue, but that would mean compromising on the finish of the speakers. I again thought that absorbing the frequency would not benefit and discarded the felt idea. I wanted to break the resonance at the frequency between 1KHz to 3.5KHz and this needed another approach. Since Newlash09 was open to the idea of the speakers needing an identity we had discussed to have my Emblem on the box.

So i went ahead and stuck my emblem on the exact slope which was causing the resonance issue as below,
Emblem.jpg o

I listened today evening and found the midrange to be very smooth and later confirmed with my elder brother removing and adding them (they are currently stuck with double sided tape) and he too confirmed improvement in the mids.

I then measured the speakers with the emblem on and this is what i got,

With Emblem.jpg

You can see the dip in the response between 1KHz and 3KHz is very much smooth and also seen in the minimum phase response.

The emblem is around 4mm higher from the slope. This difference in depth helped to break the resonance and leveled the SPL and made it smooth removing high and low Q points also serving dual purpose of having an emblem and tackling the acoustic issue.
step.jpg
Below is the step response,

Hi Sachin :)

Iam sorry I couldn't respond before. I've been dowm with a terrible flu since the 24th night Christmas party which went overboard :D

Thanks for taking the time to listen to These hari sir's creations of blood, sweat and heart . And thanks a ton for sharing your feed back. I would have loved to drop in for a listen too, but Iam flying out shortly. So couldn't accommodate a trip to
Mumbai.

So that makes your listening contributions all the more important. The more ears the better, as we each have a particular taste to our musical presentation.

I for one, am fondly looking forward to a speaker with a emotional mid range for female vocals, and some fast deep bass also in the mix, so that I can get my EDM , electronic dance and modern punk fix too. Thanks again for sharing your listening experiences :)

@Hari Iyer

whats up with this speaker ?
I received the Mundorf capacitor 3 weeks ago, but am too busy with office schedule and am unable to do much work on them due to time constraints. Hoping to get them ready probably by this weekend. Will post final measurements graphs after that.

I received the Mundorf capacitor 3 weeks ago, but am too busy with office schedule and am unable to do much work on them due to time constraints.
Yes in most of my projects too, there is this gap of several months sometimes between designing the simulated xo and actually building the real one. Largely because the procurement of parts takes a lot of time, and then you lose momentum and must struggle to regain it.

Hari, do you have measurements of the raw drivers to share?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back