Building a cheap HTPC.

NO :sad:

is it there on the cards, and which type of connector is to be used?

Thanks

see if this link helps....
Spdifer | AC3Filter
also search for HDMI_R168.exe the realtek ATI HDMI drivers and see some new settings inthe ATI control panel for spdif output.

Most graphics card advertise as 5.1 capable via spdif but the only working stuff I have personally seen is the onboad nvidia 8300/8200/9400 which output 5.1/7.1 from HDMI.

But 2600 also works - just need additional SW to make it work I guess. Search and go through trials - you will set it up.

Also use the latest ffdshow through MPC-HC - pass AC3/DTS through spdif. See if it works. Its difficult to offer a solution without seeing the problem but i guess the above drivers and SW can fix it.

Last edited:
see if this link helps....
Spdifer | AC3Filter
also search for HDMI_R168.exe the realtek ATI HDMI drivers and see some new settings inthe ATI control panel for spdif output.

Most graphics card advertise as 5.1 capable via spdif but the only working stuff I have personally seen is the onboad nvidia 8300/8200/9400 which output 5.1/7.1 from HDMI.

But 2600 also works - just need additional SW to make it work I guess. Search and go through trials - you will set it up.

Also use the latest ffdshow through MPC-HC - pass AC3/DTS through spdif. See if it works. Its difficult to offer a solution without seeing the problem but i guess the above drivers and SW can fix it.

Thanks for the reply.
HDMI_R225A.exe was available, downloaded it and installed, checked HDMI output, also downloaded the latest klite 4.9, checked AC3/DTS pass through but only getting 2 channel. Are you sure it works in Windows XP?

2 things.....

hope you have used 96 hz in optical out in spdif (check with playing with MPC-HC ffdshow enabled as filter in audio and let ac3, dts passthrough). If 5.1 is passing through then sw setup is fine.

in the audio hw section od XBMC there is an option of digital receiver and pass through for ac3 dts and also disable stereo output for all speakers. It works fine man, Just try again. (let XBMC downoad all fanrt images for movies, music etc and see you collection shine with stories, images, movie info, ratings etc).

PS: I did not get the 5.1 cable repair part. Anything decent band bridge is fine.

How to check MPC-HC ffdshow enabled as filter in audio ?

How to check MPC-HC ffdshow enabled as filter in audio ?

in MPC-HC set ffdshow as default codec and set to prefer in external filter option.

In the codec filter of ffdhsow video select all file formats except dvd etc. Select RAW also.

In output section of ffdshow audio select dts and ac3 passthrough. Select if your sound mixer offers similar settings. My realtek offers spdif on/off. Select to on in your case.

Its diff to offer a solution without seeign it. But see what I told you helps.

Please note - the ATI can pass through 5.1 but that needs to be supplied to it right? Either the soundcard decodes(passes through) the audio to the graphics card that budnles audio or video together. Or there is a faciltiy that the SW (like MPCHC or VLC etc) use the sound output as ATI 2600 (which i think it wont) so that it could pass AC3 5.1

In either case the SW processes the video file - so see if the SW is set correctly.

Then come to the HW - if there is no spdif in on the ATI 2600 then the graphics card needs to process audio - so there might be a driver. Same in my case of integrated SC realtek. It does analog and optical digital out to 5.1 AC3. But for HDMI video and audio together - I have to use NVIDIA audio drivers (version is important) that processes AC3 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM.

See if a driver is obtainable for your ATI. That should be analogous to my board. See if it helps.

HTPC without bray will be fine.But playing HD content ,you need either powerful processor(>C2D2.4 Ghz or P4 3Ghz) or GC (HD series)

Even with GC processor shld be atleast C2D 2.4Ghz(dont know abt AMD)

may be wrong assumption... laptop with 1.66GHz c2D processor,1GB ram...with inbuilt intel GMA plays HD 720p easily

may be wrong assumption... laptop with 1.66GHz c2D processor,1GB ram...with inbuilt intel GMA plays HD 720p easily

yes with HW acceleration the AMD 5200 plays 720/1080p BRRips with 7-15% CPU usage. You got the right codec - the cpu utilization is lower.

This is something I have been pointing out for a long time now. It is absolutely not necessary for a HTPC to have a dedicated display card. It can play all sorts of video content (yes, HD too) just fine even without a display card.

This is something I have been pointing out for a long time now. It is absolutely not necessary for a HTPC to have a dedicated display card. It can play all sorts of video content (yes, HD too) just fine even without a display card.

+1 with the right driver (coreav with cuda acceleration on my Asus M3N78EM through MPC-HC using VMR9 renderless -with some shader combination turned on) and right SW combination 720/1080p rips play fine. CPU hovers around 5-14% for me throughout.

Movies tried - Pixar (short movies) in 720p, Elephants Dream (1080p), Dark Knight, Iron Man (1080p rip - now deleted).:eek:hyeah:

on 15.5 inch lappy sceen the inbuilt GMA displays fine ....
but with dedicated Graphics Card ,on a bigger screen like 42 inch plasma ,difference in video quality may apparent.....

i have never built HTPC but HTPC builders use G. Cards suprateep what ur experience say?

but with dedicated Graphics Card ,on a bigger screen like 42 inch plasma ,difference in video quality may apparent.....

i have never built HTPC but HTPC builders use G. Cards suprateep what ur experience say?

i was skeptical about the onboard graphics first - but with an AMD 7750 (apparently not needed even a lowly 5200 does fine) + M3N78EM combo (nvidia 8300) CPU usage is 15-25% using DXVA and vmr9 (with shader support on for certain filters). With the new coreavd codec and support for CUDA acceleration (newer 186 drivers) the CPU usage is down to 10-14%. And I am talking about rips :eek:hyeah:

BTW using ffdshow does push up the CPU usage to 45-55% with a filters like post processing, deinterlacing, warpsharp, picture correction on.

It does not matter if your output goes to a laptop display or to a Plasma TV or an LCD TV (size immaterial). Its all about resolution. And I can get 1920*1080 output without any problem without a graphic card on my AMD based HTPC.

Bear in mind that it is fairly unusual for you to run a movie while still ripping an Audio CD at the same time :). So, if playing the video with all the bells and whistles on takes even 50% of the processor's power - what is the problem? That is the way I see it.

Of course my HTPC is dedicated and I do not use it as a general PC. It is used only for ripping media and playing media. Period.

For all the people who are using HTPC's here are missing the basic idea behind HTPC. An HTPC is Silent/Low Profile / Beautifull Looking living room PC.

Please suggest/choose components which produce very low noise. Things like using > 80% efficient psu , 2.5" Hard Drives or even SSD's, passive cooloers for Components go a long way in separating an HTPC from a PC.

Additionally, use specialized cases which are meant to merge in with your equipment, No they are not as costly as one thinks.

Besides that use an interface which can give you 8-10 feet experience without using a KB or Mouse.

Lets not make this a general PC configuration thread.

I beg to differ. IMHO, the basic idea behind a HTPC is to have a PC which performs at the levels necessary for an ideal Home Theatre setup, be it a large screen TV or Projectotor.

It has to be silent, be capable of huge storage, process high definition video & audio without hiccups and may be have a TV Tuner if necessary.

Low Profile and Beauty are not necessary for a HTPC. If u have the exra money to spend u can do so for Low Profile & Beauty, but they add nothing to the Home Theatre in the dark.

giddavr

HTPC: Asus P5VMDO Mobo, Intel Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR2 800MHz.RAM,
Nvidia GE Force 8600GT Grafix, Windows7ultimate, MPC Classic Player outputting to Panny AX200U, SPDIF signal to Onkyo505, PolkAudio Fronts & surrounds in 7.1 setup. 15" DIY Sub 150w. amp. from Parts Express USA. Wireless KB with Trackball. Samsung upconverting DVD player. 1350GB HDD.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. IMHO, the basic idea behind a HTPC is to have a PC which performs at the levels necessary for an ideal Home Theatre setup, be it a large screen TV or Projectotor.

It has to be silent, be capable of huge storage, process high definition video & audio without hiccups and may be have a TV Tuner if necessary.

Low Profile and Beauty are not necessary for a HTPC. If u have the exra money to spend u can do so for Low Profile & Beauty, but they add nothing to the Home Theatre in the dark.

giddavr

HTPC: Asus P5VMDO Mobo, Intel Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR2 800MHz.RAM,
Nvidia GE Force 8600GT Grafix, Windows7ultimate, MPC Classic Player outputting to Panny AX200U, SPDIF signal to Onkyo505, PolkAudio Fronts & surrounds in 7.1 setup. 15" DIY Sub 150w. amp. from Parts Express USA. Wireless KB with Trackball. Samsung upconverting DVD player. 1350GB HDD.

Agree with you giddavr! It would be nice to have a sleek looking HTPC, but that is by no means a must. A remote control on the other hand is essential in my opinion.

very true. I also believe a remote is essential. If we are able to afford, then going in for a stunning cabinet is worthwhile.

I dont know if this is the correct thread to ask a question. I use my Vostro 1400 to connect to my tv (presently a 29 inch pana) through a dell accessory cable. I am able to output video using component cable but there is an spdif option in the accessory which accepts a round connection. i dont find an cable to connect to my av receiver. what cable should i buy.

very true. I also believe a remote is essential. If we are able to afford, then going in for a stunning cabinet is worthwhile.

I dont know if this is the correct thread to ask a question. I use my Vostro 1400 to connect to my tv (presently a 29 inch pana) through a dell accessory cable. I am able to output video using component cable but there is an spdif option in the accessory which accepts a round connection. i dont find an cable to connect to my av receiver. what cable should i buy.

bandhu u need to tell me what accessory do you have with the dell?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos1400/en/OM/WY106A01.pdf is this as shown on pg 86??

I am not sure of the accessory - but it seems you can use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to get 2 channel sound from TV or receiver by connecting the 3.5mm end into the accessory.

Apart from it the output AFAIU also can output digital sound - you can use a toshlink converter and a optical cable or a coaxial cable to output D5.1/DTS sound to receiver. A normal RCA cable from Banridge costs around 300-500 and similar or lesser for the coaxial cable.

Back