Building a cheap HTPC.

You may want to also consider a NAS for audio/video storage, if you are watching video off your HDDs. I use a ReadyNAS Duo with a 500GB HDDD, with an additional 1.5TB external Seagate. The ReadyNAS is also a music server,for my Squeezebox, and is networked connects wirelessly, and doesnt require the system to remain on for playing music.

In my estimates the amd 780g chipset should be capable enough for your TV to see movies as well as for casual gaming.The reason I suggest this is it has a fantastic graphic card(for an IGP).Agreed games like CRYSIS are out of the question but older games that are 2-3 years old will run just fine,buttery smooth (games like return to wolfenstein,sonic and maybe even new games like STREET FIGHTER 4 on medium settings.)Get a mobo with this chipset, you won,t regret it.
As for the processor athlon in my opininion is just slow.A better option would be a little known chip called phenom X3 that bludgeons core 2 duo in every aspect except games.This is because it is tri-core and it still is cheaper than a core 2 duo .Try to get one with a "E" in the ending because it is very energy efficient although there is a premium attached to it.
As for RAM 1 GB is out of the question dude,4 GB should be optimum as it is RAM has become inexpensive.

AMD 780g mobo around 3500-4500.(Worth every paisa because of radeon 3200)
1 TB HDD from Weastern Digital or Samsung or Seagate around 4000-5000.
phenom X3 2.3 GHz around 5000-5500.(maybe even less)
2 * 2 GB RAM from OCZ or corsair around 2000-3200.
I have no clue about a Bluray player but get it even if it is expensive with ATI AVIVO picture quality will be beautiful.

As for the extras go for ASUS XONAR for a sound card and if your serious about gaming nothing less than radeon hd 4850.

So finally hope my comments were a tad useful and if you go the whole hog(read with bluray player, XONAR and 4850)your htpc will replace a stand alone bluray player, your console,music system and not to forget you,d have a formidable computer.

hi can any body suggest me how assemble a HTPC with internet and record TV programs from tata sky in the same unit

Internet for browsing is similar to regular PC.If you install with HTPC cabinate,you need to check which cabinate/SW supports it.

I myself with regular cabinate installed 7300 VC & D2X xonarSC ,even avertv007 for Dishtv program recording.

I am reminded of one of Suprateep's posts that I read somewhere. Building the cheapest HTPC would involve plonking an MSI Media Live motherboard in it. That single component can replace your DVD player, your CD player as well as your amplifier!!! If that is not magic, I dont know what is. :)

There is not yet word out as to how good the audio quality is - but it certainly would be useable going by the few reviews out there.

I am reminded of one of Suprateep's posts that I read somewhere. Building the cheapest HTPC would involve plonking an MSI Media Live motherboard in it. That single component can replace your DVD player, your CD player as well as your amplifier!!! If that is not magic, I dont know what is. :)

There is not yet word out as to how good the audio quality is - but it certainly would be useable going by the few reviews out there.

MSI Media Live Diva Review - Motherboard Reviews - TrustedReviews

However I forgot to mention that I would never be using that board anytime soon:). It does not support XP and I am having no business with Vista!

Yes I did read that, Suprateep. Thank you. However until a shoot out of sorts occurs between this solution and an AVR-DVD player combination, we may not really be able to make out the effectiveness of this combination. But this is a great and grand idea.

On the same note though I think this is a much better review than the other one. Do read if you have not already done so.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article918-page1.html

Did not want to go OT on the "Something to compete with the Essence XT" thread. So posting here. Quoted post by spirovious is from above-mentioned thread.

Hi friends,

There is other way to get BEST out from your PC.

Say if you have HDMI HD AVR, you can simply but 2 SC,one for Stereo listening & other for HDMI .

ie We can select output from windows of perticular SC which we wish.
In my case ,I can use Xonar & Realtec output with opt selection whichever is neede.

In short you can add 2 sc of your choice,one best for stereo & other for Ht purpose.

Thats great news. This opens up possiblities for us. Could you please post some more info on this please.

Please suggest a good combo of cards for my requirement. I want to use my existing PC as a HTPC until I build a dedicated one. I am happy to spend around 5k to 6k(excluding a more powerful PSU) but don't want to buy a WDTV or Xtreamer because it would make my dream HTPC redundant. My urgent need is a source for playing HD movies and experience both HD Audio and Video. My current PC is a basic one with a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S21 motherboard. I have only one PCI Express slot and 2 PCI slots empty on my motherboard. I need a HD capable Display card and a decent Multichannel Sound Card. Since I have only one PCI-E slot, one of them needs to be PCI. Would you please suggest a combination that fits into my budget. Later on when I build my HTPC, I shall add a Xonar Essence STX for stereo, the multichannel card and the HD display card for movies. I am not into gaming. The idea is to be able to carry forward the Display card, Multichannel card and the PSU to the HTPC when built.

Also, my AVR does not have a HDMI, so I need to connect the HDMI cable from the display card to the Projector and the SPDIF to the AVR for sound.

Thanks in advance!!

Did not want to go OT on the "Something to compete with the Essence XT" thread. So posting here. Quoted post by spirovious is from above-mentioned thread.

Thats great news. This opens up possiblities for us. Could you please post some more info on this please.

Please suggest a good combo of cards for my requirement. I want to use my existing PC as a HTPC until I build a dedicated one. I am happy to spend around 5k to 6k(excluding a more powerful PSU) but don't want to buy a WDTV or Xtreamer because it would make my dream HTPC redundant. My urgent need is a source for playing HD movies and experience both HD Audio and Video. My current PC is a basic one with a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S21 motherboard. I have only one PCI Express slot and 2 PCI slots empty on my motherboard. I need a HD capable Display card and a decent Multichannel Sound Card. Since I have only one PCI-E slot, one of them needs to be PCI. Would you please suggest a combination that fits into my budget. Later on when I build my HTPC, I shall add a Xonar Essence STX for stereo, the multichannel card and the HD display card for movies. I am not into gaming. The idea is to be able to carry forward the Display card, Multichannel card and the PSU to the HTPC when built.

Also, my AVR does not have a HDMI, so I need to connect the HDMI cable from the display card to the Projector and the SPDIF to the AVR for sound.

Thanks in advance!!

Well for movies, you could get even a Creative soundcard and take a digital out from it to your receiver. That would be a very economical solution.

While what spirovious says is possible, one does need to be prepared for typical PC things such as driver conflict and all that sort of funky stuff. I always disable my onboard sound solution when I install a separate sound card. Saves on memory and keeps things simple.

Well for movies, you could get even a Creative soundcard and take a digital out from it to your receiver. That would be a very economical solution.
Can you please recommend some proven multichannel soundcards with SPDIF along with approximate price ranges..Thanks:)

While what spirovious says is possible, one does need to be prepared for typical PC things such as driver conflict and all that sort of funky stuff. I always disable my onboard sound solution when I install a separate sound card. Saves on memory and keeps things simple.
If it is as simple as checking a box as to which sound card to use, I am happy for this solution. Anything more, would rather look for a simpler solution - mayber a motherboard which has an onboard 7.1 and add a Xonar for Stereo.

Can you please recommend some proven multichannel soundcards with SPDIF along with approximate price ranges..Thanks:)

If it is as simple as checking a box as to which sound card to use, I am happy for this solution. Anything more, would rather look for a simpler solution - mayber a motherboard which has an onboard 7.1 and add a Xonar for Stereo.

The second point you mentioned is the way I would look at for an economical solution. You could look at a motherboard which has an SPDIF out and use this to connect with your receiver. Later on you can add a sound card and use its analog out if its a good enough sound card, as compared to your receiver.

The second point you mentioned is the way I would look at for an economical solution. You could look at a motherboard which has an SPDIF out and use this to connect with your receiver. Later on you can add a sound card and use its analog out if its a good enough sound card, as compared to your receiver.

Sounds good:) So, I need a motherboard with HDMI out and an onboard SPDIF. This way, I can connect the SPDIF to my AV receiver(for multichannel), the HDMI to the projector(for display). This solves my movie requirement.

Now to address my Stereo needs, I just need to add a Xonar STX. Will connect the analog stereo out from this to my stereo pre-amp.

Hello members. Got a few queries.

I can't afford to invest in dedicated HTPC but would like to utilize my existing rig. Its a semi decent machine with a HD4670 Super (512mb DDR3). I'll go the X-Fire way in the near future. Will this suffice for FHD? Or, do I need to invest in a better card?

The connections would be PC-AVR(HDMI)-TV(HDMI).

The mother board has some on-board sound card and optical out. But, what about HD audio? I want my AVR to do all the decoding. How do I go about it in a cost effective manner?

And, how to direct both video and audio through one HDMI output?

Another thing.. if I get a BD drive, will the PQ & SQ be comparable to a stand alone BDP/PS3 Slim?

Sorry for the long post people, am a pure noob:eek:

Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back