Building a new stereo room - need help!

Miany

Hi All,

I am finalizing the plan for my house. I will be having a dedicated stereo room. I am unable to finalize the room dimensions as of now. Did some googling and went mad!

One common suggestion that i found was 10H * 17W * 23L (all in feet). Is it a good starting point while building a stereo room? I know there is no absolute ideal size in this regard. But i would like to get it as close to right as possible in the beginning itself. Please share your thoughts. Please find the details about my current setup below.

Marantz SA8005/Auralic Aries Streamer->Schiit Yggdrasil->Schiit Freya->ATC SCM 19Actives.

I will definitely be looking at upgrading my speakers while moving in to the place. Lets say ATC SCM40Actives or Something like Rethm Saadhanas if budget permits.

Please share your inputs!

Thanks,
Miany

I had put the same question to someone for a proposed 14 x 23 room. This is what he said
i would suggest a double height space for your audio/media room. 14 x 23 is a good footprint size, but i have always seen that height makes the room sound amazing. Additional volume just adds a certain scale and ease to the reproduction.

Seems pretty long to me.. the distance of the system from the listening position will be quite large.
If the distance of the speakers from the side walls is 2ft each that leaves 13 ft as the space between the speakers.
Assuming the two speakers and the listener form three vertices of an equilateral triangle, the listening position will be roughly 13-14 ft from speakers. The length of 23ft is a bit too much.
If the volume of room is large probably the amp will need to be sufficiently powerful to give the desired effect.

My room is 13x10 and the listening position is about 7-8 ft from the speakers and distance between the speakers is 7 ft and the speakers are around 1 ft from the side walls.
The sound stage at this position is quite amazing.

One common suggestion that i found was 10H * 17W * 23L (all in feet). Is it a good starting point while building a stereo room?
EVERY room is an equalizer, creating peaks & nulls in the frequency response that were not in the recording. When you see a suggestion like 10x17x23, it is an attempt to spread the problems to different frequencies so you don't end up with too severe of a peak or dip at any particular frequency. It's a good starting point, but don't worry if you have to adjust dimensions to fit your house plans.

Hi All,

I am finalizing the plan for my house. I will be having a dedicated stereo room. I am unable to finalize the room dimensions as of now. Did some googling and went mad!

One common suggestion that i found was 10H * 17W * 23L (all in feet). Is it a good starting point while building a stereo room? I know there is no absolute ideal size in this regard. But i would like to get it as close to right as possible in the beginning itself. Please share your thoughts. Please find the details about my current setup below.

Marantz SA8005/Auralic Aries Streamer->Schiit Yggdrasil->Schiit Freya->ATC SCM 19Actives.

I will definitely be looking at upgrading my speakers while moving in to the place. Lets say ATC SCM40Actives or Something like Rethm Saadhanas if budget permits.

Please share your inputs!

Thanks,
Miany

Hi

Currently with the existing setup....what is the listening distance and dimensions? Is it placed in the seating area or hall along with other furniture?

Updating speakers later once you move in ..may change the listening experience and so if you plan to use the existing setup in the new place for a while, you may need to factor distance and space (keeping in mind that you may possibly upgrade to better or bigger speakers....ensure no overkill).

Hi

Currently with the existing setup....what is the listening distance and dimensions? Is it placed in the seating area or hall along with other furniture?

Updating speakers later once you move in ..may change the listening experience and so if you plan to use the existing setup in the new place for a while, you may need to factor distance and space (keeping in mind that you may possibly upgrade to better or bigger speakers....ensure no overkill).

Even the current room is a dedicated room for listening only. Except for the chair and equipment rack, there are no other furniture. The room is almost 12 feet * 11 feet with a ceiling height of 10 feet. Speaker

Speakers are kept almost 7 feet apart and the listening position is also 7 feet from the centre.

No. I am not planning to use the current setup in the new place...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back