Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

Very nice work,loved the pics,i ll soon post mine ,HT in a new home,dont have a dedicated room as my living room is the my HT room.Fibre optic ceilings are worth every penny and DIY seems to be the best option..............cant wait to go Home!!!!
Thanks Saurabh. All the very best for your HT build. Are you going in for Optic Fiber as well? Do post WIP pics.

Santhosh,

Just stumbled upon this thread. Excellent theater. I am sure it will be inspiring to lot many and give lots of ideas.

Congrats again.

Santhosh,

Just stumbled upon this thread. Excellent theater. I am sure it will be inspiring to lot many and give lots of ideas.

Congrats again.
Thanks Manoj for your kind words. Like I mentioned on your HT Thread, you too have a very nice theater and great gear:).

Dear Santhosh,

Great HT you have there. I am also building one and plan to do the false ceiling soon. Can you let me know from where I can get those optic fibre kit ? I am from Trivandrum, Kerala and if it is available at Banglore, I can arrange to get it from there if you can give me the address. Is yours still working and how is it?

Thanks

Sajan

Dear Santhosh,

Great HT you have there. I am also building one and plan to do the false ceiling soon. Can you let me know from where I can get those optic fibre kit ? I am from Trivandrum, Kerala and if it is available at Banglore, I can arrange to get it from there if you can give me the address. Is yours still working and how is it?

Thanks

Sajan
Hi Sajan,
I got the optic fibre kit from 2 different shops here in BVK Iyengar Road in Bangalore. Mine is still working well. I did not use the original light source since it was RGB (color changes every few seconds). I built my own source using 1 Watt LED per kit.

Santosh,

Your HT room and DIY has been an inspiration for me. Now I am also builing a dedicated HT room. Please can you look my thread and guide me on doing the best acoutics possible. Lonk is given below.

Thanks,
Alok

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...-journey-room-home-theater-diy-acoustics.html
Alok, thanks for your kind words. I am really sorry I saw your post only now. In the meanwhile, your HT has turned out be very good. Very good effort and fantastic outcome :).

I got the optic fibre kit from 2 different shops here in BVK Iyengar Road in Bangalore.

Santosh buddy, your HT project is simply awesome. I wish you could share the information on how to obtain fiberoptic kit for the ceiling. I am located in Siliguri and it is quite difficult to source stuff here. I am in the process of building my own small HT room (thread here)

I look forward to your tips on my thread as well.

Cheers!

Thanks John, I have detailed how to do it here:
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...eatre-room-please-guide-me-31.html#post104747

About availability, I am travelling today and back Monday, will check the shops here next weekend and let you know.

Thanks a lot Santosh. I also like your idea of a drop-down screen with a plasma at the back; I might borrow the same idea from you, although I had initially thought of a fixed screen. What screen did you use? I will need something like 115" or 120" inches.

Cheers!

John

Thanks a lot Santosh. I also like your idea of a drop-down screen with a plasma at the back; I might borrow the same idea from you, although I had initially thought of a fixed screen. What screen did you use? I will need something like 115" or 120" inches.

Cheers!

John

Well, I removed the Plasma and moved it to another room within a few months because of two reasons:
1) I was not using it much. This was because, whatever time I spent watching videos in the Home Theater, I wanted to watch it on the large screen. It is a 120" Panoview screen.
2) Having a flat panel (flat reflective surface) in between my front speakers was messing the stereo image. The rear wall is otherwise absorbant.

John,

I and some of us were of the view to have a television in our dedicated movie room but eventually gave up the idea sooner then later.

If one wants to see movies then there is no point to watch on television when we have a over 100 inches screen to beam via projector. If we want to see the routine program mes or serials then it it not worth to watch in such a dynamic room.

The fixed screens are better suited in a dedicated room because the wear and tear is very less compared to a drop down screen and moreover no small hassle of pulling down and up the screen.

V.

Cheers!

John

Last edited:
I realised I had not posted details on the star light ceiling only when Raj asked about it in another thread. I shall request mods to move this post to the correct "point in time". Ok, here goes:

Hi Santosh ,

Can you provide the address/contact no. of the shops in banglore ,which sell fiber optics and LED controler .Also how you you made white LED control for star ceiling .

-regards
Apurva

Hi A/V Enthusiasts,

As you may have read in my recent introduction message, I am building a dedicated entertainment Room. The size of the room is about 15x12 feet in size and has a height of about 8.5 feet.

Since this is a dedicated entertaiment room, I intend to get it treated for acoustics (both sound proofing and sound improvement). So, I need your suggestions on how I should proceed with acoustic treatment for this room.

Currently, the civil work is still going on and the structure has just been completed. Yesterday, I took a day off from work to get the electrical conduits laid. Here are some pictures that I shot yesterday with my mobile camera (please excuse the quality of pics):

Front Wall (seperate electrical conduits laid for electrical and A/V cabling)

Left Wall (There is a window to the left of the picture)

Right Wall (Has one more window which cannot be seen in this pic. There are so many windows here as the area below used to be a garden)

Right Wall (This is the third window)

Back Wall (Opening behind ladder is the entrance to the room)

Ceiling (Used to be a pergola before)

It is too difficult to do this all kind of work alone. But I would like to suggest some helpful tips as follows:
Preparing the Room

Without a properly outfitted room, even top-of-the-line home theater equipment will be lackluster. For those with a million-dollar budget, this means thick concrete walls with no windows, solid-core doors with yards of weatherstripping, and sound-absorbing baffles on the walls and ceiling. But for the rest of us who just want to retrofit a corner of the basement or the kids' room, there are some simple things that can be done to improve any space's acoustics and lighting.

Start with a rectangular room with as few doors and windows as possible. Open floor plans and vaulted ceilings make it more difficult to keep the sound effects in and the barking of the neighbor's dog out. If the room is oddly shaped, map out a rectangular (or at least symmetrical) space within it to treat as the home theater.

Next, cover the floors. Bare concrete, wood, and tile reflect sound waves, which can muddy a movie's dialogue and make the sound effects harsh. Try adding carpeting or an area rug and outfitting the room with upholstered furniture to help absorb errant sound waves. The same goes for walls and windows a painting, bookshelf, or drapes placed at the sides of the room will absorb unwanted noise. Thick curtains over windows are doubly smart because you also want your home theater to be dark too much light increases screen glare and reduces contrast. Keep in mind, however, that staring at a brightly lit screen in an otherwise dark room will eventually strain your eyes. Installing dimmer switches on lighting fixtures will help you find the happy medium.

Hey guys,

I am putting up everything together to have a accoustic room.

I live in a Apartment & use cerwin Vega LS15's & onkyo 606. Benq is on its way!

However, I have a unique problem here. The Room i am using as a HT is actually a bedroom of 19*16, having Wardrobes bottom to ceiling - wall to wall. & on the opposite side i have a french window of 7*8 size with Upvc Windows & cant close it (should be openable)

THis room doesnt have any bed so planning to use it as HT room.

now,

1st, having a wardrobe can it be a problem or good? i dont think i can cover the surface too

2nd, how to enclose the french windows?

Also i have already done the wiring - False ceiling - wooden flooring. now to have a accoustic room what would you suggest? & how much would be approx cost.

i believe the wooden flooring is good as it is!

Hi santosh,
It took me around 2 months to complete this thread. Congratulations on your setup.(Better late than never). I am also planning a setup in a small room (12X10). Hope it works put fine. Thanks for the detailed and exhaustive thread.

Sorry to revive an old thread. I am based out of Bangalore now. It would be really helpful if I could get references for reputed installers of fiber optic star ceilings. I have the kit and I am in the process of getting my HT built, but the person building it doesn't have expertise in star ceiling installations. Please help.

Back