Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

Looks great! That was real quick :)
It was great meeting you on Saturday evening. We were discussing the seating and you did it in less than 24 hours. Kudos!

Looks great! That was real quick :)
It was great meeting you on Saturday evening. We were discussing the seating and you did it in less than 24 hours. Kudos!
Thanks Sharad for having us over. You have executed your home theater very well. Have been wanting to write a detailed post on your build thread but haven't been able to. Will do so soon:).

I had not done anything on the seating all these days as I have not come across the right (read as right configuration and right budget) seating. So was managing with a spare sofa that we had.

Today, I bought a listening chair (real leather) today at Lifestyle. They had a clearance sale going on and this chair was listed at 7k (Original price was 25k). The catch was that there was only one piece in black and it had the leg-rest(?) missing. There was one in white for 10k which was better overall and also had the leg-rest but it would look out of place in my otherwise red and black room. So, I convinced them to sell me the black chair with the white leg-rest for 10k:clapping:. Frankly, if they had 4 of these for 10k each in the same color, I would have picked up all four. They are very comfy, well built and super VFM. Now I need to get some black leather upholstery for the leg-rest. I still need to figure out what to do for the rest of the seating....but later.

My dream to buy a Ekornes Stressless Chair still remains. Some day!! Until then this is the one:)

Thanks to Subhash for letting me know about the sale. Guess he may have not seen this as he could not figure out which one I bought when I described to him over phone.

Here are some pics:
IMG00237-20110213-2223.jpg

IMG00233-20110213-2056.jpg
Nice chair dear----is that a Sofa 'n' Bed behind the chair?

this looks cool
i hadnt seen this
the one i saw was different it was a proper recliner (black) very compact ,let me chk it out latter this week if it is still there it was priced @ 19k original price was 27k

Nice chair dear----is that a Sofa 'n' Bed behind the chair?
Thanks Mandeep bhai. Long time...you have been missing in action. Enjoying your HT..eh:)?

Yes, that is a Sofa cum bed that you see behind the chair. It is temporarily being used as a sofa until the seating is commissioned.

this looks cool
i hadnt seen this
the one i saw was different it was a proper recliner (black) very compact ,let me chk it out latter this week if it is still there it was priced @ 19k original price was 27k
Thanks mate, sale ends this Saturday I think. So hurry.

Hi Santosh,

Recently i got my high end Exclusive home theatre setup from PROFX, on M G Road.
Acoustic consultancy was free & their experienced acoustic proffesional got it done at reasonable cost. Sounds great & fantastic, worth for money. Better to contact them, than regretting later.

Cheers,

Thanks Mandeep bhai. Long time...you have been missing in action. Enjoying your HT..eh:)?
Yes, that is a Sofa cum bed that you see behind the chair. It is temporarily being used as a sofa until the seating is commissioned.

.... hello bro' , trying hard these days to loose some weight and get in shape , addicted to my HT,

---i have a same SOFA 'N' BEDin my HT room, planning to buy a LAZYBOY Recliner, but its too costly, do u have any info about the quality of Godrej recliners :)

Last edited:
Hi Santosh,

Recently i got my high end Exclusive home theatre setup from PROFX, on M G Road.

Acoustic consultancy was free & their experienced acoustic proffesional got it done at reasonable cost. Sounds great & fantastic, worth for money. Better to contact them, than regretting later.

Cheers,
Thanx Divakar. I did the home theater and acoustics myself with help from knowledgable members here. Turned out better than I expected. Great learnings too. No regrets whatsoever. I am loving it!!

Do share some pics of your home theater.

TIA.

i have a same SOFA 'N' BEDin my HT room, planning to buy a LAZYBOY Recliner, but its too costly, do u have any info about the quality of Godrej recliners :)
If you have the space and budget for Lazyboy, nothing like it. Not sure about Godrej though.

Hi Santosh,

Cheers,

FU:)(Fullproof Useless) MG( marketing Guy)

AMAZING work Santhosh i can really imagine how your HT would sound:cool:..
Wish to drop in some time to check out the nirvana of being AUDIOHOLIC:yahoo:.
Somehow missed this thread , your post on star sky lighting brought me here...
DIY definitely is the best way to go....Would need your advice when iam planning a dedicated HT room..

Thanks mate. Sure, drop in when you get a chance:).

Thanks santosh wil get the DSLR (Hobby Photogragher) as well....cant wait to click pics of ur HT beauty...PM when u wil be free wil drop in:).....
Well saw that u own the RD beast as well...Similar tastes :yahoo:

The AV room has been functional for close to two years now and has worked very well for both audio and movies. However, there were some incomplete bits which I would like to complete one by one. I had left the front wall unfinished as I wanted to build a diffuser there and at the same time make it look good. Also pending are corner traps and a diffuser behind the listening position (currently it is absorbing).

I want to start off with the diffuser build shortly and was discussing with member Hiten over email since he is full of ideas and also loves album art. I told him I would like to build a diffuser that would be able to display some LP, CD Album art and also some etched art on plexiglass/acrylic.

Currently, I have placed some LPs on the front wall and they look like this:
f1f0e628.jpg

371753c4.jpg

I need suggestions from you all. Am starting off quoting Hiten's post on the turntable thread, so we can continue the discussion here.
If you are planning a diffuser wall with album art (Vinyl+CD) on them I suggest little glass shelves (2" x 13" edges smoothed out) on different unparallel levels would look good also. With shelf you can easily access different album and change them (or unless you are keeping two copies of albums :D) A square grid will also look fantastic and will add design value to the interiors. can you share some pic/diagrams/sketches or sample from the net. Are you planning like this...
AAAACicanuoAAAAAAAQunQ.jpg

with little less depth of the shelfs ?

As a diffuser design, how is this?
Diffuser1.jpg

Diffuser2.jpg

Diffuser3.jpg

Note the convex design. This helps diffuse sound better. I would like to DIY it using plexiglass/acrylic instead of wood as I can also try and include some LED backlight. Something like this:
Make Your Own Custom Glowing Etches

I do not want the room to become too bling. If you folks think I am going overboard with the etching and LED Lighting, I'll take the idea out of the plan:).

Last edited:
hi guys,

anyone knows a good acoustic consultant in pune? need to get some basic room treatment done for my HT room.

Thanks

The AV room has been functional for close to two years now and has worked very well for both audio and movies. However, there were some incomplete bits which I would like to complete one by one. I had left the front wall unfinished as I wanted to build a diffuser there and at the same time make it look good. Also pending are corner traps and a diffuser behind the listening position (currently it is absorbing).

I want to start off with the diffuser build shortly and was discussing with member Hiten over email since he is full of ideas and also loves album art. I told him I would like to build a diffuser that would be able to display some LP, CD Album art and also some etched art on plexiglass/acrylic.

Currently, I have placed some LPs on the front wall and they look like this:
f1f0e628.jpg

371753c4.jpg

I need suggestions from you all. Am starting off quoting Hiten's post on the turntable thread, so we can continue the discussion here.

As a diffuser design, how is this?
Diffuser1.jpg

Diffuser2.jpg

Diffuser3.jpg

Note the convex design. This helps diffuse sound better. I would like to DIY it using plexiglass/acrylic instead of wood as I can also try and include some LED backlight. Something like this:
Make Your Own Custom Glowing Etches

I do not want the room to become too bling. If you folks think I am going overboard with the etching and LED Lighting, I'll take the idea out of the plan:).

Hi Santosh,
I have been following the thread and would like to congratulate you for doing a splendid job on your HT room, very well done!!! However, from what I understand don't we need to keep a balance in the room between sound absorption and reflection? having acoustic ceiling tiles, acoustic panels all around, carpet.........will these not be an overkill? too much absorption also is not advisable, please correct me if i am wrong? I need some acoustic room treatment to be done in my HT room hence would like to know how and where to begin.

Regards

Hi Santosh,
I have been following the thread and would like to congratulate you for doing a splendid job on your HT room, very well done!!! However, from what I understand don't we need to keep a balance in the room between sound absorption and reflection? having acoustic ceiling tiles, acoustic panels all around, carpet.........will these not be an overkill? too much absorption also is not advisable, please correct me if i am wrong?
Thanks for the kind words. You are absolutely right about too much absorption not being right. From the pics, it might seem to you that I have used 100% absorption on all 6 surfaces of the room. But here is how I have done it:
Front wall (behind speakers): Fully Absorptive. Diffusers planned but not implemented yet
Left & Right wall: Absorptive upto 4 feet(ear level is ~3ft) and reflective from 4ft mark to ceiling
Rear Wall: Currently same as Left and Right wall, but will have diffusers
Ceiling: Only centre portion is absorptive, sides are not (have bass traps built into it)
Flooring: Thin wall to wall jute Carpet and thick carpet only in first reflection points.

I have not done any measurements yet and was discussing with member gvenu recently also and I should request t.anthony's help to do this shortly.

Not sure of professional help in Pune. If you are game for DIY, you should start a thread in this section and knowledgable members here are sure to help you in your build (like they helped me build mine) :).

Hope this helps.

WOW how did I miss this thread for so long. I stumbled upon this thread today and completed all 35 pages of passion at a stretch!
Great work Santhosh! It will be truly a lesson for others to follow.
BTW how much is complete according to you. Can't wait to see the final pictures.

Which camera are you using currently. I suggest to use a good DSLR for the climax which will do justice to the time, money and effort spent on this HT. Did I say HT, oh yeah this is what I call as Home Theatre. :D

Thanks Santy for your kind words:)

I am not into photography and so have a 8 year old Sony digital camera that works well except capturing images in a low-lit environment. Many photography enthusiasts have on my request visited my place to take pics, but when they do come... they invariably forget their SLRs:).

Last edited:
Very nice work,loved the pics,i ll soon post mine ,HT in a new home,dont have a dedicated room as my living room is the my HT room.Fibre optic ceilings are worth every penny and DIY seems to be the best option..............cant wait to go Home!!!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back