Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

Thanks for writing in detail Raghav. But, I had already understood these points from your earlier posts. See, I don't know whether the optic fibre used in my star lit ceiling is plastic or glass. I don't remember the box or instructions having any such detail. So just wanted to know how would I find out the difference between glass fibre and plastic fibre just by looking at it.

Ok, here is what I will do. I will cut off a tip of one of the strands and burn it. If it melts, it is plastic. If it does not melt, it is glass. I am talking normal temperature here, plastic should melt off a matchstick while glass may require higher temperature. What do you think?

Just curious, what is used in SPDIF\TOSLINK cable - Glass or plastic?

Hi,

Though my room is around 200sqft the actual area of the Starlit ceiling is around 100sqft. This is due to storage on one wall and a beam cutting out 50 sqft on one side.

Now I had given up on the idea of starlit ceiling because of the cost involved (Initial quote was for Rs80000), but your HT made me inquire for cheaper options. DIY was not for me.

Then I got contacts of 3 vendors in Mumbai for the same. This is what we discussed:

1. 2.5-3 points needed per sqft so 250-300 in all points.
2. Glass fibre optic is more expensive than plastic. One vendor refused to work with plastic fibre optic (maybe to earn more). The other vendor Autorama does both and he suggested to use only plastic fibre optic for Home lighting. He said glass is more expensive but not suited to small home application. This guy my architect says is knowledgable and in business for many years. Has done big turnkey projects as well. Cost of project with plastic is Rs30000 and with glass is Rs50000.
2 to 3 points per sq feet will look good. Does this include the cost of the ceiling as well? If so, are they using Gypsum boards or plywood or some acoustic boards? Inspite of DIY, I spent close to 35k including cost of perforated hardboard, woodenframes, carpenter labour, glasswool and fabric. Apart from looks, the ceiling was designed for acoustics to be a diffsorber (diffusor + absorber). It seems to be working very well for me, so the DIY was really worth it.

3. You can choose coloured and twinkling lights. Here I thought best to choose light colours like white, yellow and amber avoiding Red, Blue, Green.

4. Mridul said that glass is better as it has more throw of light. But I need very dim lighting when watching the screen. Glass, he said is better to focus on walls or other objects. He also said people using fibre to mislead and not provide LED lights but some mixture. I have no idea of this.

5. Also I wanted to know what is your light source and of what wattage?

Raghav
My Optic fiber kit came with color changing lights(RGB)and a voltage adapter. I removed the RGB lights because the real night sky is black background with white stars in various brightness levels. So, I modified the kit by adding a 3W white LED which I salvaged from a new LED spot light. I also used the reflector and circuitry by breaking it open. I have used two such kits, so two 3W LEDS and also have a maintenance point for it so I can change the LED if it goes kaput:lol:.

Some learnings that may be useful to you are:
1) Optic fiber is a medium wherein any light you pass through it, it comes out through the other end and the tip gets illuminated. You can cut the fiber short with a scissor and still only the tip will be illuminated.
2) If you want the tips to be of different brightness, tie a loose knot in some of the strands, so the light becomes a little weak in these strands
3) If you need the tips to glow brighter, use a more powerful source with a better reflector.

My honest thoughts are you don't need longer throw or brightness as it will distract you while watching movie. If you are thinking of using a dimmer, it is possible but dimmer for LED is very expensive.

That experiment will definitely tell you whether it is glass or fibre. Cost of ceiling is not included, but Acoustic Ceiling is going to cost around Rs10000 extra. This is another agency doing the ceiling.

And, yes I want dim lights only and no Halogens only LED. This I will make sure when talking to them in detail.

Thanks

Thanks for writing in detail Raghav. But, I had already understood these points from your earlier posts. See, I don't know whether the optic fibre used in my star lit ceiling is plastic or glass. I don't remember the box or instructions having any such detail. So just wanted to know how would I find out the difference between glass fibre and plastic fibre just by looking at it.

Ok, here is what I will do. I will cut off a tip of one of the strands and burn it. If it melts, it is plastic. If it does not melt, it is glass. I am talking normal temperature here, plastic should melt off a matchstick while glass may require higher temperature. What do you think?

Just curious, what is used in SPDIF\TOSLINK cable - Glass or plastic?

2 to 3 points per sq feet will look good. Does this include the cost of the ceiling as well? If so, are they using Gypsum boards or plywood or some acoustic boards? Inspite of DIY, I spent close to 35k including cost of perforated hardboard, woodenframes, carpenter labour, glasswool and fabric. Apart from looks, the ceiling was designed for acoustics to be a diffsorber (diffusor + absorber). It seems to be working very well for me, so the DIY was really worth it.

My Optic fiber kit came with color changing lights(RGB)and a voltage adapter. I removed the RGB lights because the real night sky is black background with white stars in various brightness levels. So, I modified the kit by adding a 3W white LED which I salvaged from a new LED spot light. I also used the reflector and circuitry by breaking it open. I have used two such kits, so two 3W LEDS and also have a maintenance point for it so I can change the LED if it goes kaput:lol:.

Some learnings that may be useful to you are:
1) Optic fiber is a medium wherein any light you pass through it, it comes out through the other end and the tip gets illuminated. You can cut the fiber short with a scissor and still only the tip will be illuminated.
2) If you want the tips to be of different brightness, tie a loose knot in some of the strands, so the light becomes a little weak in these strands
3) If you need the tips to glow brighter, use a more powerful source with a better reflector.

My honest thoughts are you don't need longer throw or brightness as it will distract you while watching movie. If you are thinking of using a dimmer, it is possible but dimmer for LED is very expensive.

That experiment will definitely tell you whether it is glass or fibre.
Raghav, the optic fibre in my HT is plastic. I was able to melt it with a matchstick:). Sorry, I took so long to do this experiment.

Hi Santhol2,

Amazing work! How much is the total cost involved so far for acoustics/interiors/misc etc your room?
Thanks buddy. I am really not sure. I meant to calculate this, but never got down to doing it. My guesstimate including materials and labour is around 3.5 to 4 Lakhs INR. This does not include the construction of the room (Civil Work) and AV equipment. I had most of the equipment before itself, but only recently I was able to provide a proper home for it:).

I think you couldn't have moved your eyes off from your theatre even while you want to go for work!!!

Hardwork, passion, patience is a combination of your masterpiece!!!:clapping:

Thanks buddy. I am really not sure. I meant to calculate this, but never got down to doing it. My guesstimate including materials and labour is around 3.5 to 4 Lakhs INR. This does not include the construction of the room (Civil Work) and AV equipment. I had most of the equipment before itself, but only recently I was able to provide a proper home for it:).

Re: Make money from home without any investment.

There is alot of fraud on inter net.but i have brought one website to you people that will guide you how to make money on net..and no need to pay any fee. Now you can Make Money ($$) while working from home. You can earn thousands of dollars online. We will guide you how to make money online from home and the latest methodURL: make money online from home| Earn money online| work at home opportunities| work at home| Cafe4Fun.com

@cafe4fun: If I work from my home theater, will I make more money that from any other room in the house?

I'm Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me Santhosh :)

This post has been long pending from me, I've been thinking to do this ever since I visited Santhosh during my recent holiday.

We've been saying pictures speaks thousand words but seriously one must visit his HT room personally to feel it. The pictures he has posted so far just don't do the justice at all (I've been part of the the problem, promised to pick my Friends SLR and finally managed to forget it).

I had to make a 1 hour journey with 100's of speed breakers and 1000's diversions within Bangalore to reach his place. But I forgot everything when I was at his home. Boy he has a nicely done home, very well thought of and constructed. I could only envy at you Santhosh, My next home construction wouldn't be without your advice. Fortunately we didn't power at Sathosh's house the time we visited, that helped us visit Santhosh's other prized possessions. He has a fully functional tool kit which find in garages overseas (Is there a technical term for it). Also was able to get a glimpse of RD350 & Suvedha, Didn't get time to ride it around though. Although I couldn't control the grin when I thought about Santhosh on Suvedha :D. We get some nice chai and power comes back again.

We visited his HT room and I was running out of time already. Once you open the doors your mouths will definitely go wide open, at least that's what my other friends visiting along with me did. Those Red colored cloths with those spot lights and star lights gave it a very rich experience. We got to watch a short 5 minutes of Avatar BD projected from Optoma HD20 and I was blown away with the colors. Santhosh rightly pointed out about the 3-D like effects within few scenes of Avatar. This BD must be the new reference quality. But what interested me most is the Sub & Surrounds, they were just adding another dimension. I was told by Santhosh that room acoustics are the one which play the major part here. I was able to then understand the amount of research & effort spent on treating this room. Without his own experience and just using Internet & us HFV'ers he has done a commendable job. Hats off to you, not many here have the patience and endurance to do this - myself included (Make sure you're in Chennai for a month when I do mine ;) ) . Only thing which I wanted a bit more was on the center channel - hopefully it was improved with Emotiva.

Next we had a very very short listening session on his music set-up. Source was from a NAS where he had all ripped FLAC's which was streamed through Squeezebox. I didn't notice the amplification chain at all, but the speaker where his B & W. He played Hotel California and I was taken away, Everything was spot on. This was just a 2.0 set-up and the speakers delivered the lows very tight, mids sweet and highs perfect. You have to listen to believe it. Those 5 minutes were the best music in a best atmosphere I've ever heard in my life. The channel separation was brilliant and during the final audience claps I just felt to be part of them - such is the impact it left on me. Looking forward to listen it again in his HT room with his new toy UMC -1. As I was running short of time I had to leave and couldn't do anything more other than just admire this guy's passion.

Thanks Santhosh was allowing us to ponder over your home and the nice refreshments. I'll make sure I visit often to create the Anti-HFV :licklips:

U forgot to say this,,, as like forgot to bring the SLR, forgot to notify me in advance about your programme to bglr, since i am also suppose to join with you...:cool:

U forgot to say this,,, as like forgot to bring the SLR, forgot to notify me in advance about your programme to bglr, since i am also suppose to join with you...:cool:

Okay I admit :p - Because of the joyous holiday I forgot everything I promised. Couldn't meet Venkatesh even. We shall plan a trip during August 15th holiday what say thalaiva? I'll not forget the SLR either ;)

wow just caught this thread somehow missed it. you've made a superb room santhosh!!! i have to come over now :D particularly love the ceiling and how you got it done for that lower cost way to go!!! :clapping:

I had to make a 1 hour journey with 100's of speed breakers and 1000's diversions within Bangalore to reach his place. But I forgot everything when I was at his home. Boy he has a nicely done home, very well thought of and constructed. I could only envy at you Santhosh, My next home construction wouldn't be without your advice.
:lol: most of Bangalore is like that boss, nothing to do with location of my house. Yesterday Kapvin and Soundgreat made the epic journey too, luckily I was with them in the car to ensure we don't get lost (Venkat and especially Suri can vouch for my knowledge of Bangalore roads:p). Soulforged has been wanting to drop in but is worried about getting lost:lol:.

Fortunately we didn't power at Sathosh's house the time we visited, that helped us visit Santhosh's other prized possessions. He has a fully functional tool kit which find in garages overseas (Is there a technical term for it). Also was able to get a glimpse of RD350 & Suvedha, Didn't get time to ride it around though. Although I couldn't control the grin when I thought about Santhosh on Suvedha :D. We get some nice chai and power comes back again.
I know you want your imagination run wild trying to picturise me on a puny Suvega. I'll save you the trouble, here is a pic of me with my then just purchased Suvega embarking on a ~15 km ride back home. Unsure about what helmet would suit this, I decided on my bicycle helmet:lol::
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/post-1950/97364d1233734559-suvega-dsc07530.jpg

This post has been long pending from me, I've been thinking to do this ever since I visited Santhosh during my recent holiday.

We've been saying pictures speaks thousand words but seriously one must visit his HT room personally to feel it......

.......Looking forward to listen it again in his HT room with his new toy UMC -1. As I was running short of time I had to leave and couldn't do anything more other than just admire this guy's passion.

Thanks Santhosh was allowing us to ponder over your home and the nice refreshments. I'll make sure I visit often to create the Anti-HFV :licklips:
Thanks Suresh, you definitely are very generous with your words. It was really nice meeting you and your family. My wife found it so hard to believe that we knew each other so well without having met. I must thank you too as you have been instrumental in getting my HT to where it is. Thanks for all your suggestions over phone (over ISD), not to mention the goodies you have sourced for me from UK.

I am glad you enjoyed the HT buddy. Dude, you watched Avatar for almost 30 minutes, not 5 minutes...hehehe. Yes, the Emotiva has made a lot of difference to the movie experience, you should visit again with more time and a DSLR in your hands:). I have also made note of your valuable suggestions, will implement them when I get a chance.

Long awaited mate, please drop in next time you are in Bangalore.

:lol: most of Bangalore is like that boss, nothing to do with location of my house. Yesterday Kapvin and Soundgreat made the epic journey too, luckily I was with them in the car to ensure we don't get lost (Venkat and especially Suri can vouch for my knowledge of Bangalore roads:p). Soulforged has been wanting to drop in but is worried about getting lost:lol:.

It would be a challenge for Google to create maps & directions for Bangalore. As I told you I'll park my car in Hosur next time and get help from you :lol:

I know you want your imagination run wild trying to picturise me on a puny Suvega. I'll save you the trouble, here is a pic of me with my then just purchased Suvega embarking on a ~15 km ride back home. Unsure about what helmet would suit this, I decided on my bicycle helmet:lol::
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/post-1950/97364d1233734559-suvega-dsc07530.jpg

Actually Santhosh, I think you've been on diet after acquiring Suvega :lol:

I am glad you enjoyed the HT buddy. Dude, you watched Avatar for almost 30 minutes, not 5 minutes...hehehe. Yes, the Emotiva has made a lot of difference to the movie experience, you should visit again with more time and a DSLR in your hands:).

It was just 10 minutes buddy, the initial fight scene and then few scenes which where like 3-D. Next time we will dedicate a whole day - that is if your SWMBO allows ;)

Okay I admit :p - Because of the joyous holiday I forgot everything I promised. Couldn't meet Venkatesh even. We shall plan a trip during August 15th holiday what say thalaiva? I'll not forget the SLR either ;)

Srini Sir, both these chaps are very busy! Santosh is far better than this Teky. Teky - a mysterious guy!:argue::argue: I could not get a glimpse of you man while you were in Chennai.:mad: If you were not our kurvi, you would have been :confused:

See he is always online when he is at work and he was seldom online while he was on a vacation!:eek:hyeah:

@Santhosh, I demand an invitation from you Santosh. You look cool on your Suvegha, would have been more cool if you were wearing shorts!:eek:hyeah:

Cheers!

wow just caught this thread somehow missed it. you've made a superb room santhosh!!! i have to come over now :D particularly love the ceiling and how you got it done for that lower cost way to go!!! :clapping:
Stevie, thanks for your kind words. Please do drop in sometime mate. Considering our past attempts to catch up, it does look like it will only happen when Suri and iaudio are in Bangalore on their audio yatra.

@Santhosh, I demand an invitation from you Santosh. You look cool on your Suvegha, would have been more cool if you were wearing shorts!:eek:hyeah:
Venkatesh, you are invited buddy. Anytime you are in Bangalore, do drop in for a listen and some movie watching.

It would be a challenge for Google to create maps & directions for Bangalore. As I told you I'll park my car in Hosur next time and get help from you :lol:
Yesterday, I experienced maps for the first time in India. Saw how Kapil (Kapvin) used his Garmin to navigate through Bangalore. Was impressed with the accuracy man.

hey santosh good to meet you (back) on hifi vision.....
nice set up...lots of time, patience, hard work, passion (and money) has gone into this setup.
will try to make it to your home soon...

:clapping:

hey santosh good to meet you (back) on hifi vision.....
nice set up...lots of time, patience, hard work, passion (and money) has gone into this setup.
will try to make it to your home soon...

:clapping:
Same here Aditya, nice to see you here. Pleasantly surprised to know we have common interests other than automobiles:).

Sure buddy, lemme know when you wanna drop by.

I had not done anything on the seating all these days as I have not come across the right (read as right configuration and right budget) seating. So was managing with a spare sofa that we had.

Today, I bought a listening chair (real leather) today at Lifestyle. They had a clearance sale going on and this chair was listed at 7k (Original price was 25k). The catch was that there was only one piece in black and it had the leg-rest(?) missing. There was one in white for 10k which was better overall and also had the leg-rest but it would look out of place in my otherwise red and black room. So, I convinced them to sell me the black chair with the white leg-rest for 10k:clapping:. Frankly, if they had 4 of these for 10k each in the same color, I would have picked up all four. They are very comfy, well built and super VFM. Now I need to get some black leather upholstery for the leg-rest. I still need to figure out what to do for the rest of the seating....but later.

My dream to buy a Ekornes Stressless Chair still remains. Some day!! Until then this is the one:)

Thanks to Subhash for letting me know about the sale. Guess he may have not seen this as he could not figure out which one I bought when I described to him over phone.

Here are some pics:
IMG00237-20110213-2223.jpg

IMG00233-20110213-2056.jpg

Last edited:
Back