Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

In chennai Modfurn is having 25K recliner +10K for motorized and it is a decent one with 5 years warranty for mechanism. Still if you want to go down.. 20K recliners were available in various shops around chennai.. Dont comparing with Laz... But still good for the price and have good comfort.. In variou shops HT recliners are directly imported ( circular one- 3 sets / or Two Recliners combined - all with cup holders) below 50K...

Check out all the Furniture exhibition in chennai and it is common..

Thanks Srini, I am atleast 6 months away from buying seating for the room. Just checking out a few options without any money in pocket:lol:.

ethan-allen-traid-chair-and-ottoman.jpg

Ethan Allen
Triad Chair and Ottoman

Today I saw a movie theater chair in a showroom costing around 9k+ vat per seat. It looks somewhat like this: Movie chairs, auditorium school church stadium theater Vegas
It was comfortable and very similar to what you see in the multiplex theaters. It is not very plush (like the examples shown in this thread) but definitely good for movie watching. It has to be bolted down to the floor. It is an office furniture showroom (called Ergonomics I think) in 6th main (between 100ft rd and 80 ft rd), Indira Nagar, Bangalore. If anyone is interested, you can check it out.

santosh , this looks cool why dont v chk this out ?

Subhash, this place is close to my office, will check it out during the week. Will check if you are free. If not, will keep you posted.

@unleash_me: Thanks mate. The one that you posted looks damn good and I am sure REALLY expensive.

I realised I had not posted details on the star light ceiling only when Raj asked about it in another thread. I shall request mods to move this post to the correct "point in time". Ok, here goes:

I wanted a star-light ceiling like this and my search led me to a Mumbai based lighting solution provider who quoted Rs.1,05,000 for the area (7x12 ft):rolleyes:. I thought that was the end of my star-light ceiling. Only other option was importing it or a DIY using LEDs. I let the idea rest for a while. One day, while I was shopping at Avenue Road for LED lamps, I saw a optic fibre lighting kit in a catalogue. That shop did not have it, but it gave me some hope that bigger shops might stock them. Finally found it in one shop and bought the kit for 13k from Avenue Road. This contained 100 strands of optical fibre and a light source box. The original light source that came with the solution is a RGB one. The one that changes colors after a given time delay. It would produce colors like Pink, Red, Orange, Green, Blue and Violet which were not to my liking. So, I bought a white color 3-watt LED light fitting(with reflector) for Rs.500 from Avenue Road. Like everything else, I wanted to be able to change the LED when it reached its end of life. So I wanted the end (silver colored part in pic) to be placed in a maintenance point. I then realised that the optic fibre strands were not long enough to cover the entire ceiling. So I needed one more kit. Another 13k I thought:sad:. I went to Avenue Road and found it was not in stock. Finally found it in one shop and after bargaining I could get it for 11k:yahoo:. Shopkeeper was overjoyed to let it go as nobody had bought it since last 2 years:lol:. I still don't know the real price of the product but the total cost me around Rs.27k. All I know is I saved atleast 75k by doing it myself. Need to admit that even 27k for the star-light ceiling was beyond my budget for a simple pleasure of thinking you are seated in a open air theater. Since the cost was 13k for the first set, I took the plunge:).

Here are some WIP pictures:

We test fitted the peg board ceiling frame
DSC06719.jpg

Removed the frame and filled the ceiling with high density glasswool of 100mm (2 x 50mm) thickness.
DSC06768.jpg

We then applied the fabric over the peg board frame. Next we started work on making the ceiling a star-lit one.

DSC06771.jpg

We then spread a layer of loose low density glasswool over the frame and fitted it. When it is on, it looks like this:clapping:
DSC06803.jpg

Sorry for not posting a better picture of the last snap. My digital camera is a basic one and really struggles to capture pictures especially where lighting is insufficient. I am still waiting for my my Photography enthusiast friend(s) to help me in this area.

Last edited:
This is Most useful Thread for guys who love to set a HT in their Home. Very useful informations with Photos so that even a layman in HT like me is tempted :licklips: to go for a Setup like this. Your Setup looks great and your involvement in this Project has had very good result.

GoodLuck.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

hi santhol2,
it is lovely ht :clapping:, i am sure this thread will help, guide and inspire many in building a dedicated ht room. i just wanted to know few things like, what is the gap between wooden frame and wall, have you put plywood on top of the glasswool throughout and than wrapped it with the cloth for finish.

hi santhol2,
it is lovely ht :clapping:, i am sure this thread will help, guide and inspire many in building a dedicated ht room. i just wanted to know few things like, what is the gap between wooden frame and wall, have you put plywood on top of the glasswool throughout and than wrapped it with the cloth for finish.
Thanks Sachin for your kind words.

The wooden frame is made of a solid wood battens (2.5 x 2.5 inches) of around 6 feet length joined to form a grid of 2ft x 4 ft. The gap between the wooden frame and wall varies (from zero to 1 inch) at various points because of irregularities in the construction:(. I have gotten the gaps sealed using waste plywood strips and again sealed the air gaps using caulk (silicon). I have filled the cavities with various densities of glasswool and then covered them with panels.

For the panels, I have used plywood on the upper half of the walls and Anutone Acoustic Panels on the lower half of the walls both covered with the same fabric. I have explained why I have taken this approach here

Hope this answers your questions. Sorry about the delay in replying to your query. Been a little busy at work.

The walltracts work looks awesome. And I can vouch for the fabric wrapping by anutone too as I have seen it at their Experience Center and they are great too. They use grippers too and there are absolutely no wrinkles.

In my case, the mounting of fabric on the panels will be a DIY. Will be mounting fabric onto atleast one board during this weekend. Will know how difficult or easy it is ;). Also, for this purpose, I bought a Stanley Heavy Duty wood Stapler. Here's a pic:

TR250_mid_res.jpg

This is a fantastic tool to accurately and effortlessly staple fabric on wood, tacking wires and also accepts nails instead of staples. Costs me Rs.1300 and a pack of 1000 10mm Stanley staples cost Rs.75.

:OT: I love using and collecting tools and it is customary for me to buy atleast one such tool in every DIY home project that I do. Be it automobile projects or home :)

Santosh
Where do you get stanley stapler in Bangalore? Thanks

Santosh
Where do you get stanley stapler in Bangalore? Thanks
Sorry Raj, been busy last few days, so missed your post. Ok, here goes..
Stanley Stapler and pins are available at:

Goodwill Hardware Stores
1 Post Box No-6847 Subhan Saheb Lane Sjp Road Cross
Bangalore City, Bangalore - 560002.
Phone: 080-22221255

(Distributor for many brands including Stanley. Must visit for anyone who is into DIY)

Ace Trading
N.R Road, Opp side of S.P Road,
Bangalore

Hussain and Co
Commerical Street,
after westside on the same side

Many members have been asking me for better pics. Here are some pics that member manishk13 shot. He is also in the process of bulding his HT and he visited my home last week for a dekho:

LHS Wall
P1010154.jpg

Rear Wall
P1010155.jpg

RHS Wall
P1010151.jpg

AV Rack on the Right hand side. You can see the Squeezebox Duet on the top shelf
P1010152.jpg

This is how my front wall looks after I have moved the Pana 42 inch Plasma to my bedroom. Will do it up as either an absorber or a diffusor. Any suggestions? My next phase is to make corner traps and a diffusor for the rear wall. I don't see the need for it yet, but might have issues when I have a bigger subwoofer.
P1010153.jpg

Finally, some nice pic of the star light ceiling
P1010156.jpg

In this pic (shot with flash), one can see how the star light ceiling looks when turned off
P1010158.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing to say - Just amazing, The star lighting and Red walls just create the real cinema experience.

Only niggle I can see is the AV Rack - Make a better one mate and you should be good to go. Also I can couple of items lying around, stapler etc - just move it out as well

What have you used for the ceiling lights.

Is it plastic fibre optic or glass fibre optic? Also do the lights have twinkle effect and change colours? I have received quotes ranging from 300 to 750 per sqft. Area is 100sqft.

Many members have been asking me for better pics. Here are some pics that member manishk13 shot. He is also in the process of bulding his HT and he visited my home last week for a dekho:
Finally, some nice pic of the star light ceiling
P1010156.jpg

In this pic (shot with flash), one can see how the star light ceiling looks when turned off
P1010158.jpg

Nothing to say - Just amazing, The star lighting and Red walls just create the real cinema experience.

Only niggle I can see is the AV Rack - Make a better one mate and you should be good to go. Also I can couple of items lying around, stapler etc - just move it out as well

Yes Suresh, I need to get rid of all the clutter and non-AV related stuff except the torch. Those tools have been kept there since I use them very often and am lazy to go to my Garage where I have all my tools organised. I have to get out of the trap of "My HT is where all favourite things will be safe (from my 18 month old son)" attitude:lol:.

What have you used for the ceiling lights.

Is it plastic fibre optic or glass fibre optic? Also do the lights have twinkle effect and change colours? I have received quotes ranging from 300 to 750 per sqft. Area is 100sqft.
Raghav, I am not sure if they are plastic fibre optic of glass fibre optic. If you can give me some more information about the two types, I will definitely find out for you. I could not understand the discussion you and Mridul were having on the LED thread, wanted to ask but missed somehow.

Awesome setup :) I guess only recliners are missing.
Thanks Santosh. Recliners will take a long time. Running short of finances at the moment. As and when finances are available, it is being spent on AV equipment:)

Santhosh

The room looks absolutely fabulous. Some chairs and a bar and you are set. Congrats
Thanks marsilians for your kind words.

great work Santhosh.
Thanks prakasse.

Hi,

Though my room is around 200sqft the actual area of the Starlit ceiling is around 100sqft. This is due to storage on one wall and a beam cutting out 50 sqft on one side.

Now I had given up on the idea of starlit ceiling because of the cost involved (Initial quote was for Rs80000), but your HT made me inquire for cheaper options. DIY was not for me.

Then I got contacts of 3 vendors in Mumbai for the same. This is what we discussed:

1. 2.5-3 points needed per sqft so 250-300 in all points.
2. Glass fibre optic is more expensive than plastic. One vendor refused to work with plastic fibre optic (maybe to earn more). The other vendor Autorama does both and he suggested to use only plastic fibre optic for Home lighting. He said glass is more expensive but not suited to small home application. This guy my architect says is knowledgable and in business for many years. Has done big turnkey projects as well. Cost of project with plastic is Rs30000 and with glass is Rs50000.

3. You can choose coloured and twinkling lights. Here I thought best to choose light colours like white, yellow and amber avoiding Red, Blue, Green.

4. Mridul said that glass is better as it has more throw of light. But I need very dim lighting when watching the screen. Glass, he said is better to focus on walls or other objects. He also said people using fibre to mislead and not provide LED lights but some mixture. I have no idea of this.

5. Also I wanted to know what is your light source and of what wattage?

Raghav

Raghav, I am not sure if they are plastic fibre optic of glass fibre optic. If you can give me some more information about the two types, I will definitely find out for you. I could not understand the discussion you and Mridul were having on the LED thread, wanted to ask but missed somehow.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back