Building my own absolute budget bargain subwoofer

Hola guys,
Got some parameters at last
Frequency range 45 hrtz to 3.5 khrtz.
Continuous RMS power 350w. Peak 700w RMS.
3 inch CCAW, in out, glass FIB, HTW.
Magnet size 190x85x35, Y35.
Does this information help?
I will be getting a more detailed PDF in a week's time.IMG_20200217_191623.jpgIMG_20200217_191632.jpgIMG_20200217_191639.jpgIMG_20200217_191653.jpg

Last edited:
I have two 12 inch drivers. I am hoping to get a complete PDF file which they said they would provide me in a week's time with complete parameters.
Hoping that this driver is not too bad and I have not made a hash out of it.
Thank you for your inputs @yogibear

Frequency response range stated is 45hz to 3.5khz and you are looking to make a subwoofer out of it, which means it ought to reach atleast 30-32hz. The frequency range stated for any driver often has Fs even higher. So if you are able to get specs for the driver, Fs will be even more than 45hz. I will be curious to know it’s Qts. Build quality, power handling and sensitivity looks very fine.

As is it looks like a lower midbass driver. However depending on its specs it can be put to use as a bass driver too but don’t expect much below 40hz. How many of these do you have ? And is it 12” or 15” driver ?

I disagree here. Driver technical parameters do not mean that it cannot work below or above its frequency range. It could do its job well if all aspects in terms of rest of the build is taken care of. Take an example of powersound audio latest subwoofers line up with tripple surround drivers. It is predominantly used in cinema theatre installations like JBL powered subwoofers.

Thank you @shankara.kris for the encouraging words.
I was thinking that maybe I have completely messed it up.
Now the problem is that due to the corona virus T/S parameters are difficult to get. I am still awaiting.
Ordered the 500w RMS board from Extreme Audio. Should receive them next week or so.
Will update with pictures once they arrive.
Also any Hyderabad FM help with transportation of a sub box from Hyderabad to Kerala?
The box can be used for basic assembly and checking. Please anyone?

I prefer to build a design around the driver capability for optimum sonic experience. You can make a TL out of a 12” and get response below it’s Fs. But my experience tells me, clever choice of driver for a job is the most of the battle won and easy than forcing one to do the job. However I would be interested to know if one can get response below 30hz from a driver with Fs 45-50hz only from design aspects. ( not talking about boosting the low octaves electronically)

Triple drivers is different than single. Vinod has just two. A single driver build and multiple driver build makes a lot of difference. Hence in my earlier post I asked about the number of drivers he has.

Borrow Dayton Audio DATS V2 and measure them.

I understand your point that driver capabilities matter and I was of the same opinion as you are. Please take a look of Powersound audio drivers imported from a company called B & C speakers from France. The technical parameters says only 34Hz to 1000Hz. However as a finished product, the subwoofer can cover Fs from 19Hz -160Hz as claimed by PSA. This is incredible.

https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/15-0/4/15ds115-4

For other members benefit I am also sharing the link of the dealer who may supply BC speakers. Its worth checking with them if anyone wishes to pursue DIY subwoofer project - https://www.premierprogroup.com/about-us/
from Mumbai, India.

Thank you @shankara.kris for the encouraging words.
I was thinking that maybe I have completely messed it up.
Now the problem is that due to the corona virus T/S parameters are difficult to get. I am still awaiting.
Ordered the 500w RMS board from Extreme Audio. Should receive them next week or so.
Will update with pictures once they arrive.
Also any Hyderabad FM help with transportation of a sub box from Hyderabad to Kerala?
The box can be used for basic assembly and checking. Please anyone?

Please check with some DIY suppliers from Kerala to get some ideas for the perfect build. Its very important to have enclosure supporting the full potential of both drivers and amp. Please speak with people and get some insights in building cabinet...

https://diyaudiocart.com/ - chennai
https://www.diyaudioparts.com/Contact-Us_ep_5.html - hyderabad
http://www.gauravelectronics.com/contact-us.html - New delhi

I prefer to build a design around the driver capability for optimum sonic experience. You can make a TL out of a 12” and get response below it’s Fs. But my experience tells me, clever choice of driver for a job is the most of the battle won and easy than forcing one to do the job. However I would be interested to know if one can get response below 30hz from a driver with Fs 45-50hz only from design aspects. ( not talking about boosting the low octaves electronically)

Triple drivers is different than single. Vinod has just two. A single driver build and multiple driver build makes a lot of difference. Hence in my earlier post I asked about the number of drivers he has.

Borrow Dayton Audio DATS V2 and measure them.
You are right..
It will start rolling off at a higher frequency.
This isn't a right driver for Subwoofer.

I have spent hundreds of hours in simulating drives.
This is a pro audio 12" driver ..
Its not going to have high xmax.

Sorry to say but this is a wrong buy.

Hi vinod ,
With out measurements it will be difficult to build a optimal performing speaker , but I can direct you to some people who can build cheep box which you can test . It will be economical than bringing the box from hyderabad . Or you can bring in your driver and test it in a box i have . I am also from thrissur pm me if interested .
There are 12 inch iwai sub drivers in 4k range . And
10 inch peerless and daytone sub drivers for 6k and these comes with full ts parameters .

Linking similar posts

So basically I have to start looking for the correct drivers, is it not?
No response as yet from the Dassaka company with regards the TS parameters.
So what do I do with the present ones? I can't use it as I already have floor standers.
Kannan Madhu is going to help me test the speakers out this weekend to check the drivers out
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Our FM @Kannan_madhu is going to help me set it up by testing it with some boxes he has. Once we get some idea, we are going to see how it goes.
Hi Vinod,

Are you from Thrissur (your profile says so :)). I am from Trivandrum and do have WT, if you are planning to come to Trivandrum do let me know I can help you out with the measurement.

Thanks
Venki

Hi Vinod,

Are you from Thrissur (your profile says so :)). I am from Trivandrum and do have WT, if you are planning to come to Trivandrum do let me know I can help you out with the measurement.

Thanks
Venki
Hi Venki,
Thanks man. Big help.
I will have to come to TVM only for this. :) Anything for a passion!
By the way what is WT? :) I guess a measurement tool to find TS parameters.
Vinod R

Hi Venki,
Thanks man. Big help.
I will have to come to TVM only for this. :) Anything for a passion!
By the way what is WT? :) I guess a measurement tool to find TS parameters.
Vinod R
WT -Woofer tester. Travelling to TVM for this :-O. Probably you should be able to find someone who travels regularly to TVM. That would be faster :)

Thanks Aniket for the link showing how to use the above to measure ZMA and TS measurements.
I will go through it but looks complicated.

Thanks Aniket for the link showing how to use the above to measure ZMA and TS measurements.
I will go through it but looks complicated.
This is cheapest solution for measurement or else you will need to pay approx 10K for datsv3..

Welcome to DIY world... That Sub looks too good for the Price. & FM @superczar is right. A class D amp would have been better for a Sub Duty. And use speaker protection for the Amp as suggested by FM @saikatbiswas82 All the Best Bro & Enjoy ur Built Journey.

@sadik - Hi, can you tell me more about speaker protection for the amp? I am building a DIY sub. Any links or resources on it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back