Building Setup; Going to UK What to Pick Up?

TaureanBull

Hi Guys,

I am in process in building two setups - one stereo setup for Music Only and another one a humble HT setup. Most of items I have to buy when I come back to India after about three months. However, I am going to UK for about a week in April end (Easter time) :licklips: I would like to pick up some of the items from following which are feasible to be shipped/carried and makes sense to buy from there.

The HT Setup :-

-Panasonic 40" V20D Plasma
-Onkyo HTS 3300 or similar range
-Xtreamer Pro (Already bought)
-Tata Sky HD

The Audio Setup

-Marantz/NAD etc to be bought in India after audition. (upto 40K).
-Speakers (Probably BS maybe FS) matching the setup with amp in India. (Upto 40K)
-Logitec Squeezebox Touch (UK)
-Technics SL-1200 Mk II :licklips: (UK) not sure if to buy a new one or used one!
-Do I need a phono stage? I plan to buy an amp with MM connection. But point is that since I am going there does it make to sense to pick up one? As a future planning? Which one?
- LPs (UK)

Advise/suggestions from members on:-

1. Anything I am missing which should be in my list?

2. Any suggestions to the change of equipment in the same price range with +/- 10% changes?

3. Can anyone suggest as to where to look for these items?

Music Preferences : Rock, Pop, Trance, Soundtracks, Soul, little bit of Jazz & heavy metal and of course Hindi numbers! I have collections of FLACs & CDs. Its my first venture into vinyl world. :yahoo:

@TaureanBull
It definitely make sense to shop for hi-fi in UK if you can take risk of the warranty and carrying it to India.
If you short list few make a models of stereo amps, speakers etc. you can compare the UK and Indian pries and make your decision.
As you will be visiting on a tourist visa if I'm not wrong you can get the 20% VAT waived off on your return at the airport.
For eg. my Nad c356bee amp cost me 450 which is equivalent to about 32k inr. So for you after claiming the VAT back it would cost you about 26k which is cheaper by about 15k than the Indian price. If you think you can take the risk of warranty and carrying it back for saving that 15k then nothing like that. You will find many cheaper in UK than in India.
For about 40k INR you could get great stereo amp and speakers if you can manage to carry them back. I would suggest to buy as many as you can in UK.

Last edited:
Thanks . Thats a wonderful info. How does one claim back the VAT? How much time does it take?

Any amps you guys suggest? The criteria are all given above.

Hi TB,

Pl browse the Richersounds website there are many combo deals waiting to be snatched. Also download their online catalog for discounted prices. Some really good products are listed less than the Indian prices.

For Amps Marantz, NAD & Cambridge audio should be fine.

Pl go thro their website.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

For Amps .....

why not try out the Temple Audio Bantam Gold ... 25W D Class amp, quite similar to Topping TP20. It is more expensive than Topping, but with a far more mature, tube-like sound output.

Price: @ 180 pounds.

Thanks . Thats a wonderful info. How does one claim back the VAT? How much time does it take?

Any amps you guys suggest? The criteria are all given above.

Make sure the sales man/dealer know that you are a tourist and your requirement is to claim the VAT back and find out what payment methods do they accept. Make sure you have a card which is good for international shopping without charging hefty exchange rates. Don't let your friends buy it for you with their card on their name by the time you land in UK. Usually what I heard is they give you a VAT refund form on seeing your passport and you claim it at the airport just before your return journey. I have no idea if you need to show the item you carrying back.

If you like marantz sound you can consider this marantz ki pearl lite amp for 675. So after VAT it would be 540 which is not even 40k inr. I'm not sure 40k inr for KI Pearl lite is a good deal.
I bought my speakers M-S Mezzo 2 from the same seller. It cost me 280 which is like 20k INR. So for you the price would be 16k inr and you need to take risk in carrying it back.

When I bought my amp my budget was about 300 which I have to choose between nad 326bee and marantz pm6003. But some hi-fi dealer listed c356bee for 500 buy it now/ best offer price on ebay. I offered 450 and the dealer accepted it and I have 7 working days to try it and return it paying return shipping for a full refund if I don't like it. I liked the NAD sound and moreover the price which I got it for 100 cheaper than the equivalent marantz amp.
Even now after 3 months the Nad amp I have is not available for 450. Even my speakers I bought them on a 15 day home trail basis and I liked them.

So decide what sound signature you like then there are many options you could look around for. If you like marantz sound I'm sure you will like CA sound and Rotel sound with similar sound signature but with better bass extension. Also you could look for Arcam amps.

For the speakers if you like B&W sound you will also like Mordaunt-Short.

Hi TB,

Pl browse the Richersounds website there are many combo deals waiting to be snatched. Also download their online catalog for discounted prices. Some really good products are listed less than the Indian prices.

For Amps Marantz, NAD & Cambridge audio should be fine.

Pl go thro their website.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

Except Cambridge Audio Richersounds don't stock any of the hi-end models. The entire stereo amp marantz range they have is pm6003 only and nad range they have c356bee only and one or two models for yamaha, onkyo etc.
Even their deals catalogue rates are sometimes higher than others but they say they can match the lowest prices by other dealers/on-line sellers. That experience was fun. I went to richer sounds and asked for M-S Mezzo 2. The sales man says its 450. I say what? the best available price is 280. The sales man gave his best price as 270 and as its an ex-display model I left without buying it.

To look for clearance deals follow on richer sounds
Richer Sounds --> Click on Hi-fi in the menu --> click on any thing in the 'seperates' section or 'speakers' section say bookshelf speakers --> you see the list of clearance deals at the bottom of the usual products list with heading "BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS CLEARANCE"
Same for other sections. You need to go to that particular shop listed there to pick the item.

That is how I got my ex-display with full warranty Yamaha CD-S700 CD-Player for 99 :yahoo: I almost bought marantz cd6003 for 250 and changed my mind looking at that deal

Last edited:
At the time of purchase, please ask the dealer if they are VAT registered. If Yes, only then will they be able to give you a form which you need to use to claim your refund at the airport. Also the bill needs to be in your name .....

Make sure the sales man/dealer know that you are a tourist and your requirement is to claim the VAT back and find out what payment methods do they accept. Make sure you have a card which is good for international shopping without charging hefty exchange rates. Don't let your friends buy it for you with their card on their name by the time you land in UK. Usually what I heard is they give you a VAT refund form on seeing your passport and you claim it at the airport just before your return journey. I have no idea if you need to show the item you carrying back.

The VAT counter at the airport is after security and they advise you to show the item. I am not sure how they expect someone to carry the item. There may be other ways to do so, but the airport one is practical if you are carrying stuff like projector by hand baggage.

BTW, this thread has a lot of info you could use
http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/12756-what-should-i-buy-uk.html

At the time of purchase, please ask the dealer if they are VAT registered. If Yes, only then will they be able to give you a form which you need to use to claim your refund at the airport. Also the bill needs to be in your name .....

Almost every business in UK are VAT registered or they don't have right to charge VAT on the sale. You need to ask if they can give you VAT refund form for your purchase. Shops in Indian/asian areas rarely have these forms as tourists visiting such places is rare.

The VAT counter at the airport is after security and they advise you to show the item. I am not sure how they expect someone to carry the item. There may be other ways to do so, but the airport one is practical if you are carrying stuff like projector by hand baggage.

BTW, this thread has a lot of info you could use
http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/12756-what-should-i-buy-uk.html

Before it was like after you check-in your baggage and security check you just fill a form show the receipts at the VAT refunds desk and claim the VAT back.
I heard from someone recently a week ago that they have to get the VAT form at the store you purchased the item get a stamp from the dealer on that show the item at the VAT refunds desk which is now before check-in to get the refund on VAT.

Last edited:
I some really mouth watering deals on RicherSound in the clearance section. My eyes popped out when I realized that VAT will further be reduced. :licklips:

Now the dilemma is shall I go for the system without audition. I am not sure if I have luxury to audition; I mean time wise. Somehow I am not convinced to go for a blind purchase. The deals are pretty good on speakers and amps. :licklips:

So far I have set my eyes on Marantz PM 6003. I think I will match speakers when I come to India. What do ya guys say? As it is I dont think I will have space (permissible weight) to adjust. Advisable to ship to India?

Any suggestions about carriage? Advisable to carry in cargo? My HiFi weight is likely to be 30Kgs or so!

Now the dilemma is shall I go for the system without audition. I am not sure if I have luxury to audition; I mean time wise. Somehow I am not convinced to go for a blind purchase. The deals are pretty good on speakers and amps. :licklips:

So far I have set my eyes on Marantz PM 6003. I think I will match speakers when I come to India. What do ya guys say? As it is I dont think I will have space (permissible weight) to adjust. Advisable to ship to India?

Any suggestions about carriage? Advisable to carry in cargo? My HiFi weight is likely to be 30Kgs or so!

Audition will be possible. It depends on where you're coming to in UK. It's easy to get an appointment for audition on week days. If you're coming to London the Superfi store is a good place. That is the only store where you see an friendly Indian sales man encouraging you to play your Indian CD's :D

Yes, Marantz PM6003 would be a good idea it comes to about 14k INR or less. Also for about 10k INR you can buy the squeezebox touch.

Hi Guys,

I am in process in building two setups - one stereo setup for Music Only and another one a humble HT setup. Most of items I have to buy when I come back to India after about three months. However, I am going to UK for about a week in April end (Easter time) :licklips: I would like to pick up some of the items from following which are feasible to be shipped/carried and makes sense to buy from there.

The HT Setup :-

-Panasonic 40" V20D Plasma
-Onkyo HTS 3300 or similar range
-Xtreamer Pro (Already bought)
-Tata Sky HD

The Audio Setup

-Marantz/NAD etc to be bought in India after audition. (upto 40K).
-Speakers (Probably BS maybe FS) matching the setup with amp in India. (Upto 40K)
-Logitec Squeezebox Touch (UK)
-Technics SL-1200 Mk II :licklips: (UK) not sure if to buy a new one or used one!
-Do I need a phono stage? I plan to buy an amp with MM connection. But point is that since I am going there does it make to sense to pick up one? As a future planning? Which one?
- LPs (UK)

Advise/suggestions from members on:-

1. Anything I am missing which should be in my list?

2. Any suggestions to the change of equipment in the same price range with +/- 10% changes?

3. Can anyone suggest as to where to look for these items?

Music Preferences : Rock, Pop, Trance, Soundtracks, Soul, little bit of Jazz & heavy metal and of course Hindi numbers! I have collections of FLACs & CDs. Its my first venture into vinyl world. :yahoo:

DAC??

Why not amp from UK?
Why not SL 1200 From India?
Lease indian prices ( from this site) seemed better /at par of UK amazon prices - So reprobe

Why not Better cartridge and possibaly tonearm

Forget brand hype why not better TT against SL 1200 with better cart and tonearm?

Depending upon your airline, and the fare class of your ticket your permissible weight could be as low as 20kgs. Do note that the extra weight charges in airlines is prohibitive so do factor that in your calculations. If you have an option of choosing your flight, choose one where you have a gold/silver membership which would allow you 10/20kgs extra weight.

Most likely, you would be able to buy bookshelves/ docks/ cd players. Others might be too heavy. It might be good to audition them in India, as you may find it difficult to do extensive auditions in the UK.

DAC??

Why not amp from UK?
Why not SL 1200 From India?
Lease indian prices ( from this site) seemed better /at par of UK amazon prices - So reprobe

Why not Better cartridge and possibaly tonearm

Forget brand hype why not better TT against SL 1200 with better cart and tonearm?

Yeah. Why Not? But I have been asking in a separate thread where can I buy the SL-1200 in India and let me tell you so far no one has given me an answer. This TT is just not available! Forget about being available in India. If you can tell me a place in India, I would be grateful and assure you that I would buy it right away.

Why not cartridge? Well, that did not occur to me so far. Thats why this thread. :D So what are the suggestions? Tonearm too, why not? Does it also make sense to buy a spare cartidge? :licklips:

OK. Tell me better TTs than Technics and I will sure have a look.

What TT parts/accessories I should be looking to buy?

I plan to buy 2xcartrides with stylus. M97XE Shure MM or M44-7H MM. Which of them is better. Any other cartridges suggestions? The TT in question is Technics sl-1200.

Are there any other accessories which later I may not find in India or too costly?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back