Buying a Pro ject

Buying a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable

Guyz...my story of getting into the fantastic world of vinyls.... :)

Recently, I have visited the Hi-Fi Mart Demo room in Mumbai with one of my friend to purchase a stereo system for him & during the discussion with Anil, he has shown me a Marantz T/T & suggested to explore it once for the "analogue" sound. Got interested in the idea & braved the Mumbai monsoon & visited his demo room again on 18th July for a demo with couple of audio CDs of Pink Floyd & Dire Straits just for comparison. Anil had played couple of LPs in his Marantz TT5005 & I have also compared the same songs with the audio CDs I've brought along. To tell the truth, I was simply blown away with the richness or the realness or the depth of the sound & then I have realized that now I was bitten by the vinyl bug.:)

After this event, my long research in the net on several different type of T/Ts was kick started. Initially I have thought about buying the Marantz TT5005 but then discarded the idea & on Anil's recommendation decided to explore a Pro-ject T/T. After spending "n" no. of hours in net & reading thru numerous articles decided on Pro-ject Primary T/T...then again changed to Pro-ject Essential III Turntable ....& then finally zeroed down on Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) (2M-Red).

Meanwhile, going thru this forum, I've stumbled on this thread on Pro-ject T/T & immediately got in touch with Neelay as he was in Mumbai on his opinion about the Pro-ject T/T. Neelay was kind enough to offer me a demo at his place on his Pro-Ject Debut Carbon & it has cemented my belief to go for it without any further delay.

Immediately, in my excitement, I've already visited 2 used vinyl stores in Fort & Chor Bazar area & purchased couple of used vinyls.

Fortunately, at the same time one of my close friend was going to London & he has sportingly agreed to bring back the Pro-ject T/T from London for me. I've already booked the T/T in Richer Sounds, London as it is available in UK at almost 50% of the cost at which this is sold in India.

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed & impatiently waiting for the T/T to arrive in Mumbai in this week end.

Will keep you guys posted with feedback & pics once I set up the system...

Cheers....:)

Buying a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable

Recently, I have visited the Hi-Fi Mart Demo room in Mumbai with one of my friend to purchase a stereo system for him & during the discussion with Anil, he has shown me a Marantz T/T & suggested to explore it once for the "analogue" sound. Got interested in the idea & braved the Mumbai monsoon & visited his demo room again on 18th July for a demo with couple of audio CDs of Pink Floyd & Dire Straits just for comparison. Anil had played couple of LPs in his Marantz TT5005 & I have also compared the same songs with the audio CDs I've brought along. To tell the truth, I was simply blown away with the richness or the realness or the depth of the sound & then I have realized that now I was bitten by the vinyl bug.:)

After this event, my long research in the net on several different type of T/Ts was kick started. Initially I have thought about buying the Marantz TT5005 but then discarded the idea & on Anil's recommendation decided to explore a Pro-ject T/T. After spending "n" no. of hours in net & reading thru numerous articles decided on Pro-ject Primary T/T...then again changed to Pro-ject Essential III Turntable ....& then finally zeroed down on Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) (2M-Red).

Meanwhile, going thru this forum, I've stumbled on this thread on Pro-ject T/T & immediately got in touch with Neelay as he was in Mumbai on his opinion about the Pro-ject T/T. Neelay was kind enough to offer me a demo at his place on his Pro-Ject Debut Carbon & it has cemented my belief to go for it without any further delay.

Immediately, in my excitement, I've already visited 2 used vinyl stores in Fort & Chor Bazar area & purchased couple of used vinyls.

Fortunately, at the same time one of my close friend was going to London & he has sportingly agreed to bring back the Pro-ject T/T from London for me. I've already booked the T/T in Richer Sounds, London as it is available in UK at almost 50% of the cost at which this is sold in India.

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed & impatiently waiting for the T/T to arrive in Mumbai in this week end.

Hi Prakritishb,

Now you will have to return the favour of the demo. As you are aware i have the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC USB which came with an OM10 cartridge. I want to see if there is a big difference between the OM10 and the 2M Red. If there is a difference in the quality then i will upgrade to the 2M Red.

Re: Buying a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable

Great going and wish you many more years of happy vinyl listening.

I want to see if there is a big difference between the OM10 and the 2M Red. If there is a difference in the quality then i will upgrade to the 2M Red.

I think a Nagaoka MP 110 will be a more substantial jump than the 2M Red. Price differential is not so high. Do read up reviews of MP 110.

If you already bought it please give it a try.

I've heard a 2M Red on Debut Carbon Esprit SB and it sounded very nice to my ears. If your TT has the same acrylic platter, try placing the record directly on the acrylic platter. I felt it sounded better than using a felt mat. Also, the vertical tracking angle is more optimal without the felt mat.

Last month i replaced my rubber mat which comes as standard with the Technics SL-23 with a glass platter (6mm). I initially used it with a leather mat but later removed the leather mat as it was causing the VTA to tilt a bit upward. The glass platter grips quite well on my aluminium base platter and i dont need any slip mat on top of the glass. Also the VTA is perfect. This mod gave me an excellent sound stage, more bass and a balanced mids and highs.

You can diy a glass platter with any of the glass vendor for as low as Rs.250/-. If you need help, let me know.

Last edited:
Hi,

Wouldn't that mean an added weight on the platter?
And that in turn translate to added pressure on to the motor?

A minor additional weight does not cause any issues imo. The Technics uses a DC servo motor for its belt drive and uses rectangular wave pulses in its electronic circuitry to track motor speed. So any low motor speed due to added weight is auto corrected internally. I did not have to increase pitch control speed to adjust for the added weight.

If your motor is having reasonable torque then it should be okay imo.

Last edited:
My Pro-ject Debut has arrived..

Guyz....finally the D-Day has arrived..

Was impatiently waiting for the TT to arrive & lost no time in collecting it from my friend who has brought the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) from London along with couple of vinyls I have ordered.

Will try to provide some pics of the un-boxing & installation process.

The box:

20170827_194222.jpg

Inside the box:

20170827_194349.jpg

TT is out:

20170827_194704.jpg
20170827_200209.jpg
20170827_203139.jpg

TT installed fully & playing:

20170827_213509.jpg

Took help from couple of youtube videos on the installation process. It took me around 1 hr to set up the complete system. The balancing & weight adjustment was slightly tricky, but managed it finally & eagerly connected it to the phono input of my Marantz PM6004.

Finally put a new Eagles Greatest Hits vinyl with the iconic "Hotel California" song & with eager fingers gently lifted the famous carbon tone arm from its resting position & moved it over to the groove at the middle of the record.

To tell you the truth I was simply blown away with the amazing clarity of the sound & the distinct difference between the CD & vinyl sound which some people term as "warm" & which I personally find more realistic & life like...:)
The guitar riff towards the end of the song was simply bliss..

Waiting to hear many more vinyls & looking forward to years of vinyl sound experience...:)

A big thanks to all you guys for the knowledge shared which has helped me in taking an informed decision....

Happy listening to all...:)

Improving my Pro-ject Debut

Having a gem of a time with my Pro-ject Debut..:)

After the initial days, I've decided to improve the sound further by replacing the felt mat supplied with it. I've done some R&D on this subject & zeroed on a Cork Mat which was a recommended product by most of the veteran TT users. Fortunately, one of my friend was coming back from US, I have ordered it in Amazon.com & got it door delivered in my Mumbai home.:eek:hyeah:

I've ordered a Pro-Ject Cork-It Mat. As per reviews, the Pro-ject cork-it mat has excellent damping characteristics & it is designed primarily for users of metal platters. So it was almost a perfect match for my Debut Carbon TT with metal platter.

20170827_215809.jpg

There is a significant improvement in sound once I've replaced the earlier mat with the Cork one. The bass has become more tighter & sound clarity, especially the mid-range & high end has become more improved & clear.

Now, eagerly looking for many more years of happy vinyl listening pleasure. Also, I've already purchased couple of used vinyls from the market & enjoying them to the fullest almost on a daily basis. Will post pictures of the vinyls very soon in other relevant threads.

Meanwhile, sharing some of the pics of my set-up after cork mat installation.:)

20170828_074523.jpg

The famous Carbon-fibre tonearm

20170830_084426.jpg

The Ortofon 2M red cartridge

20170830_084508.jpg

The Tonearm counterweight & Anti-skating weight - sensitive adjustments

20170830_084525.jpg

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back