buying from the US

i have already bought 3310ci
here are my concerns, please do comment..

1. As per maxine's website.. SHAH ELECTRONICS - Transformer - the very bottom of this page says the "Lifetime of a transformer is generally 24 months", is this true?

2. As per the same page, "To compute a loads VA requirements, multiply its rated voltage (Volts) by its rated current (Amps)." The back of Denon 3310ci shows 'Power Source as 120V" and "Power Consumption as 7A" Does that mean I would need a transformer that would need 120V*7A = 840VA which is < 1KVA ??

Thanks in advance :)

2. As per the same page, "To compute a loads VA requirements, multiply its rated voltage (Volts) by its rated current (Amps)." The back of Denon 3310ci shows 'Power Source as 120V" and "Power Consumption as 7A" Does that mean I would need a transformer that would need 120V*7A = 840VA which is < 1KVA ??

This calculation will give you the minimum requirements. Add 50% for transients and peak power requirements.

Cheers

pavanhifi,

I have had Energy Take 5 for very long time. They are probably the best in that price range. I am not sure how much do they cost here. If it is $400 with subwoofer included it is a steal.

With respect to shipping them to india, If you get extra bag or box along with the two checked in bags you need to pay $100 to $125 depending upon the airline.

Thanks
pandu

Thanks. Since I have been spending some time on Amazon since last week, I have been presented with this deal by Amazon. Anyone would want to comment on this ?

Velodyne Impact-Mini Powered Subwoofer - Small (Black) $400
Klipsch QUINTET 5.0 Speaker System (Black HG) $549

As a deal, both of these are available for $549. Even though I have heard a lot about Klipsch speakers, has anyone has experience with the Velodyne subwoofer ?

Thanks,
Pavan

i have already bought 3310ci
here are my concerns, please do comment..

1. As per maxine's website.. SHAH ELECTRONICS - Transformer - the very bottom of this page says the "Lifetime of a transformer is generally 24 months", is this true?

Thanks in advance :)

To ur first question that's BS. I have been using stepdown transformers for USA bought equipment for quite many years for different instruments - which really means to say the usage pattern and duration of each usage as well as on off cycles etc. do really test the transformers. Our microwave is US bought. I have a Samsung DVD player, Sony music system, a portable massager, HDMI switcher, and quite many power tools. I have used Delta Transformers for more than 20years with out complaint. The largest Transformer with 4KVA rating has been in use for 10 yrs. Works perfectly.
2. Watts=Volts x Amps. However when u go for a KVA rating multiply the result from above equation by 0.8 and then by 1.5 to take care of surges. me, I play safe and double the KVA rating to be safe.
giddavr

I am going ahead with the purchase. I am buying Denon 1910/1911 depending on the kind of deal I get in the next one week or so. I am encouraged by a posting on another thread that Energy Take Classic 5.1 is available at 25K in India. I will readily buy at that or lower price. Does anyone have a Pune contact dealing in the brand ?

As I get ready, may I also seek suggestions regarding step down transformer for my Denon 1910 AVR ? I have searched the forum and understand that I would need something like 1.5 times the rated VA of the AVR (+ subwoofer ?). Maxine brand is suggested, but I can't find any Pune dealer mentioned on their website. Any help here is appreciated ? Any Maxine dealers in Pune or any other contact ? Also, should I also add a stabilizer to the circuit ?

Thanks all for patiently replying to my queries.

As I get ready, may I also seek suggestions regarding step down transformer for my Denon 1910 AVR ? I have searched the forum and understand that I would need something like 1.5 times the rated VA of the AVR (+ subwoofer ?). Maxine brand is suggested, but I can't find any Pune dealer mentioned on their website. Any help here is appreciated ? Any Maxine dealers in Pune or any other contact ? Also, should I also add a stabilizer to the circuit ?

Thanks all for patiently replying to my queries.
Like I said, I have used Delta Brand of Transformers for more than 10yrs. ucan search their website for contact info www.deltatransformer.com

I dont think u would need to use a stabilizer for the AVR, But for a Projectoe or DVD Player I would go in for a UPS which would ensure stable voltage as well as sufficient cool off time for the projector lamp in case off outage.
Actually I seem to recall that Krykard people used to make Electronic Stabilizers with 230V input and 120V output. I dont know if they are still making them.

giddavr

Last edited:
Pavan - I wouldn't necessarily recommend Maxine, atleast going by my limited experience. I bought a 1KVA servo 220-110v stab (Paid Rs.3600/-) and it went kaput in <6months. I then opened it to see what was inside and to my surprise the iteriors aren't wired anything close to a professional workmanship. The polarities were reversed for starters and the servo gearing is absolute cheap stuff.
From the looks of it deltatransformer seems to be better atleast we have a forum member here who has used it at length. I would've got the delta had i known earlier...anyways my next purchase is delta. Will scout for dealers here @ Chennai

Pavan as MBR had suggested elsewhere in this thread you may need to zero in on your TOP 3 preferences before asking for suggestions.
If indeed you've already done that and have set your preferences b/w the 1910 and the 591, may I suggest that you take a look at the higher Denon 2310CI that now retails for $488 (over 40% discount to it's MPR on Amazon (Onecall/6ave)) and clearly has better features than the the 1910.

Edit: if you are on hindsight still considerng a 5.1setup, do take a look at the Deftech Pro-Cinema 60.6.

I realized that its a never ending race. You get the next better model for few more dollars :). I have zeroed down on 1910/790 or the updated 1911/791.

The Deftech Pro-Cinema 60.6 is retailing for $400. But as I said somewhere else in the thread, I might just pick up Energy Take Classic 5.1 if its available at a reasonable price locally.

Thanks guys. I was all set for maxine, thanks for recommending delta. the delta factory is actually about 8 kms from my place. I will buy from them directly!
I spoke to a guy there and he seemed knowledgable. He even gave me suggestions in case I decide to buy from someone else.
He did suggest Servo and Step-down should not be paired because it will cause distortion. Infact, he did not suggest a stabilizer along with Step-down. The output can be modified to whatever amount we want. Be it 110v,120v, so on so forth

I bought the TC 5.1 on a package deal with Denon 1609 for $630 about a year back and managed to get the receiver and 5.0 home, the sub is still sitting in @ my cousin's place in the US. Same problem as u r facing, too bulky and heavy. Also got the energy C-100 pair that I thought I would use as fronts.

Ironically I'm unable to give u any comments on the TC's performance as I have not hooked up the TCs ever since I got them over.

Have been using the C100s as stereo bookshelves with my Yamaha RX-797 stereo receiver and have not found the need for a 5.1 set-up ever since! :eek:

Last edited:
I bought the TC 5.1 on a package deal with Denon 1609 for $630 about a year back and managed to get the receiver and 5.0 home, the sub is still sitting in @ my cousin's place in the US. Same problem as u r facing, too bulky and heavy. Also got the energy C-100 pair that I thought I would use as fronts.

Ironically I'm unable to give u any comments on the TC's performance as I have not hooked up the TCs ever since I got them over.

Have been using the C100s as stereo bookshelves with my Yamaha RX-797 stereo receiver and have not found the need for a 5.1 set-up ever since! :eek:

Goose,

TC 5.1? Can u give some details ?

Kittu

Thanks ! pavanhifi missed the energy part of it :p Any idea for what price it is available in India ?

I saw another thread on this forum where the member claims to have bought it for 25K for Reliance Digital, Hyderabad. But I am also trying to find a Pune dealer to check the prices. At that price, I will just buy it locally.

@ Kittu - sorry if I were confusing! Yes it's Energy Take Classic 5.1, thanks for clarifying pavan. US is certainly cheaper, but guess the biggest problem is getting the damn sub over. That being said it's worth the effort to get that energy sub, it's quite a monster!

Pavan - I wouldn't necessarily recommend Maxine, atleast going by my limited experience. I bought a 1KVA servo 220-110v stab (Paid Rs.3600/-) and it went kaput in <6months. I then opened it to see what was inside and to my surprise the iteriors aren't wired anything close to a professional workmanship. The polarities were reversed for starters and the servo gearing is absolute cheap stuff.
From the looks of it deltatransformer seems to be better atleast we have a forum member here who has used it at length. I would've got the delta had i known earlier...anyways my next purchase is delta. Will scout for dealers here @ Chennai

Funnily enough I cant find a dealer in Chennai on their website, while they have 3 in Hyderabad. I bought all my Deltas from Modern Electronics in Koti. (I bought a lot of stuff from them in my younger DIY days especially Bolton Speakers and I always found them very reliable and reasonably priced, though not the cheapest).
some pix of the Deltas . I have 3 more- 2 50watts for samsung DVD player, and dremel power tools and another 3000 watts.
giddavr

Attachments

• DELTA3web.jpg
    DELTA3web.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
No dealers chennai?? that's a bummer. Will try talking to them and see if they can recommend someone in chennai.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back