buying from the US

@Pavan - Do not go for the servo stab. You might want to refer to my post. I got one and it went bust. Get the 1kva voltage coverter instead. It's nothing but a straight forward torroidal transformer inside a box. Get a decent 230v servo stabilizer from say Krykard or Vertex (I've got a 3Kva Krykard Servo and it's a real useful equipment) and plug this 110v converter into it. That would keep your AV electronics stuff singing for years without a problem.

Edit: OK, I don't understand what he means by voltage converter and also don't understand how it can have a varying input voltage range of 170v - 260v and still output 110v? What I meant in my post above (and what I have) is a straight forward step down transformer. Feed in 220v it will output half of it. I feed it 230v (output from the krykard) and it outputs 115v (measured it with a Fluke multimeter!). The US sourced electronics are anyway all 120v rated.

Now ask him for a 1kva step down transformer. I got mine for the same cost he's mentioned (2350)

I think voltage converter is same as transformer, isn't it ? I thought the Maxine built-in stab is servo based, at least thats what the Maxine's response claims. That's why I asked Venkatcr for his commemts because I read on other thread where Venkatcr mentioned that the Maxine stab is not servo based.

I actually asked Maxine about the noise of the stab to which they replied that since there is a small motor inside, there will be some noise when voltage is adjusted.

Hi,

Maybe wrong thread to post!

Pavanhifi - a tip from my side would be use to only component video output for DTH and not to force the AVR to upscale the component signal to HDMI. The AVR will start to flicker intermittently in-between and on a fine day your video circuitary will go kaput!

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip. May I ask though what could be a reason for this ? I mean, isn't the AVR suppose to upscale those signals ? Is is true for all kinds of video inputs or only specific to DTH ?

Thanks for the tip. May I ask though what could be a reason for this ? I mean, isn't the AVR suppose to upscale those signals ? Is is true for all kinds of video inputs or only specific to DTH ?

It is only confined to video signals from the DTH box. Guess, there is a huge variation or fluctuation in the signals that we are getting out of the DTH. Another member and a friend of mine has the same problem, but not about other members.

Cheers!

I think voltage converter is same as transformer, isn't it ? I thought the Maxine built-in stab is servo based, at least thats what the Maxine's response claims. That's why I asked Venkatcr for his commemts because I read on other thread where Venkatcr mentioned that the Maxine stab is not servo based.

I actually asked Maxine about the noise of the stab to which they replied that since there is a small motor inside, there will be some noise when voltage is adjusted.

@ Pavan - Atleast going by the quote of Rs.2350 he's given you I think it is indeed the autowound 220v-110v transformer.

And yes the servo stab does have motor and gearing inside but it's pretty rudimentary and does make noise when adjusting voltage (as well as when switching on) but I seriously doubt it's voltage regulating capability, my earlier advice stands - maxine servo not recommended!

And by the way, try and search the forum for a 'rajeshindalkar'. He's from pune too and he's got a yammy RX-V465 and is looking for a step down transfomer - pretty much on your boat! You guys might want to couple it up and get from Maxine or whoever you decide eventually?! I've PM'd him to get in touch with you as I found him to be pretty lost (he wasn't even aware he needs to step the voltage down until a forum member asked him abt it!)

Last edited:
I haven't yet brought to India, but would carry it myself on the next trip. Since its just $350, I am hoping customs should not trouble me much. I will carry the Amazon invoice and credit card statement as a proof.

I am planning to buy speakers locally since carrying all will be a problem. Of course, it may change if I get very good deals in the US or very bad deals locally.

Thanks @pavahifi

I have ordered a denon 1911 from global ebay for Rs.32772 :clapping:
Hopefully should reach me in 15 day :eek:hyeah:

Couple of questions to the veterans:

1) Which would be the best under 4k step down/up converter with built in stab to buy ? (I have read lots of discussions on the various threads but am confused)
AVR is rated at 460W power consumption.

2) Which would be good sub 40k tower speakers with RMS handling of 125W@6 ohms. I prefer a crisp treble and a hard bass. 50%music 50% movies/tv.

I had earlier shortlisted the Def tech pro cinema 600 5.1 system but on listening to it compared to a paradigm 90ct it didnt sound crisp/bright enough, so am confused now :sad:

Request your suggestions.....
Thanks!

I haven't yet brought to India, but would carry it myself on the next trip. Since its just $350, I am hoping customs should not trouble me much. I will carry the Amazon invoice and credit card statement as a proof.

I am planning to buy speakers locally since carrying all will be a problem. Of course, it may change if I get very good deals in the US or very bad deals locally.

I came back the US yesterday. I carried the AVR in its original packaging. I was almost certain that customs would ask for details and was carrying the Amazon receipts and credit card statement with me. But to my surprise, no questions asked :) I had a clean exit through the green channel.

I also carried 16 G Monster speaker cable and would now look for speakers and voltage conveter.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back