buying from the US

No dealers chennai?? that's a bummer. Will try talking to them and see if they can recommend someone in chennai.

When you ask, please ask for Pune dealers too. I can't find any Pune dealer on their website. I tried google search, there are some hits, but not sure if there is something called as "delta transformer" in the EE world. I probably should have taken that EE 101 class seriously :p

Thanks,
Pavan

Email them: "DELTA" <[email protected]>,

No question, US is the place to buy from, and if a marginally extra cost is to be paid to bring across something heavy as checked in baggage, it's well worth it.
George

P.S. Just came back this morning after a fairly productive trip to the US with various goodies.Luckily had no problem whatsoever with Bangalore Customs, just told them that I had a used Emotiva pre pro( thanx Santosh and Subhash for nudging me to make the buy!) and they waved me through.Now to get started on my Hypex UcD 5 channel amp.

Need to get the various things all installed/connected up and running as soon as I can-SB Duet,first, and then to beef up the HDD on my NAS with the new 1.5TB, to replace the earlier 500GB drive. Luckily the Netgear unit mirrors the data automatically, so all I need to do is to pull the old drive out of the tray once it is done.

Just to update you all. I finally made the purchase of Denon 790 (aka 1910) from Amazon at $350 shipped. I am sorry for those who are buying locally. They would surely be heart-broken to hear the price :sad:. But I am happy for myself :yahoo:

Now start the great hunt for speakers :cool:

Pavan - good to hear you've made the jump. I wouldn't necessarily be sorry for ppl who buy stuff locally. Purchases made in locally vs US have their own set of ad/dis-ads. Let's not get into that as of now.
Anyway what matters is you've got what u've wanted and now it's time to carefully assemble you HT set up and then wire them up (with the right gear) and place them and thoroughly calibrate them to your listening likes/dislikes. This is really the fun part, you'll enjoy every minute. Just a reminder of something I've metioned elsewhere in this thread, the in-built tuner in the receiver is not capable of tuning even frequencies...so make alternate arrangements if indeed there is a radio station in the even freq that you want to listen to.
Congrats again!

>I wouldn't necessarily be sorry for ppl who buy stuff locally. Purchases made in locally vs US have their own set of ad/dis-ads. Let's not get into that as of now.

Absolutely. Anyway Good luck.

George

>I wouldn't necessarily be sorry for ppl who buy stuff locally. Purchases made in locally vs US have their own set of ad/dis-ads. Let's not get into that as of now.

Absolutely. Anyway Good luck.

George

Yup, I agree. I just feel bad for the highly inflated prices here. In the last few years, I have spent few thousand dollars buying in the US and feel anguished that the same money could have been spent locally to add to our economy.

Anyways, its an entirely different topic. Any help with the speakers though ? The local dealer is quoting 32K for Energy TC 5.1 which is again to much to neglect US prices. The feasible option for me though is to buy Polk Audio RM75/85, if at all, from the US in this trip. Is there anything strongly against this setup ?

Me too I got an AV receiver Onkyo608 from US Now I am hunting for Step Down Transformers (Maxine/Delta) and speakers(polk/jamo/warf/onkyo). I never knew it not so easily available in Bangalore.

Just to update you all. I finally made the purchase of Denon 790 (aka 1910) from Amazon at $350 shipped. I am sorry for those who are buying locally. They would surely be heart-broken to hear the price :sad:. But I am happy for myself :yahoo:

Is it new OR refurbed?

Me too I got an AV receiver Onkyo608 from US Now I am hunting for Step Down Transformers (Maxine/Delta) and speakers(polk/jamo/warf/onkyo). I never knew it not so easily available in Bangalore.

Even though there was some bashing for Maxine brand recently, there are many more members who vouch for them. They were also very quick to respond to my queries and showed willingness to ship the product to Pune.

BTW, as per Maxine,

"Dear Pavan
Thanks for your inquiry. for your avr you need to use 1kva voltage converter. if you are having voltage fluctuation we have built in servo controlled voltage stabilizer. working range is input 170v to 260v and output will be 110v +- 1%.price is as below
only converter Rs.2350/- and built in stab. Rs.3650/- + vat as applicable and freight. we do not have any dealer in pune but we can courier it."

So they claim to have servo controlled stab built-in in their converter. I remember somewhere else on this forum that their stab is not suitable for AVRs since its not a servo type. Can someone (venketr ?) comment on this ?

Congrats to you Pavan !!
I too am looking to do the same and buy the new 1911 from the US, only problem i see is shipping to Pune.
can you tell me how much shipping to India was or did you carry it yourself ?

Also may I suggest the Definitive technology PRO CINEMA 600 for $550 if you are looking to buy in the US. The low and high frequencies of these speakers match up very well with this AVR. and since its def tech you can be assured of great quality sound.

@Pavan - Do not go for the servo stab. You might want to refer to my post. I got one and it went bust. Get the 1kva voltage coverter instead. It's nothing but a straight forward torroidal transformer inside a box. Get a decent 230v servo stabilizer from say Krykard or Vertex (I've got a 3Kva Krykard Servo and it's a real useful equipment) and plug this 110v converter into it. That would keep your AV electronics stuff singing for years without a problem.

Edit: OK, I don't understand what he means by voltage converter and also don't understand how it can have a varying input voltage range of 170v - 260v and still output 110v? What I meant in my post above (and what I have) is a straight forward step down transformer. Feed in 220v it will output half of it. I feed it 230v (output from the krykard) and it outputs 115v (measured it with a Fluke multimeter!). The US sourced electronics are anyway all 120v rated.

Now ask him for a 1kva step down transformer. I got mine for the same cost he's mentioned (2350)

Last edited:
@Pavan - Do not go for the servo stab. You might want to refer to my post. I got one and it went bust. Get the 1kva voltage coverter instead. It's nothing but a straight forward torroidal transformer inside a box. Get a decent 230v servo stabilizer from say Krykard or Vertex (I've got a 3Kva Krykard Servo and it's a real useful equipment) and plug this 110v converter into it. That would keep your AV electronics stuff singing for years without a problem.

Thanks. The krykard/vertex servo stabs seems to be very expensive. For an AVR worth 16K, I am kinda confused whether it makes sense to put so much money into the stab. I have seen many reports where members are happy with a cheaper V Guard stab. I am also trying to measure voltage fluctuations at my place. Until now all readings have reported voltage in the range of 243-247V. I won't rule out some errors in the multimeter reading though.

Understand your predicament, but atleast I would think it's worth spending on servo stabs as these are real long term and you can use them for a v long time to come. Apart from these I read elsewhere in the forum that V-gaurd digital is a good stab too. Try and do a quick search.

If the input is closing in on 250v I would definitely put in a stab that regulates it to 230v or lesser, as I told you the voltage converter will only halve the input so with 250v input you will end up feeding 125v to a 120v equipment. Not worth the risk!

Thanks. The krykard/vertex servo stabs seems to be very expensive. For an AVR worth 16K, I am kinda confused whether it makes sense to put so much money into the stab. I have seen many reports where members are happy with a cheaper V Guard stab. I am also trying to measure voltage fluctuations at my place. Until now all readings have reported voltage in the range of 243-247V. I won't rule out some errors in the multimeter reading though.

Hi,

Maybe wrong thread to post!

Pavanhifi - a tip from my side would be use to only component video output for DTH and not to force the AVR to upscale the component signal to HDMI. The AVR will start to flicker intermittently in-between and on a fine day your video circuitary will go kaput!

Cheers!

@Pavan - don't understand how it can have a varying input voltage range of 170v - 260v and still output 110v? QUOTE]

A servo stabilizer has a continously variable autotransformer controlled by a input tracking and error correcting mechanism, this allows it to precisely correct the output voltage while the input supply is varying.Normal stabilisers will have a window in which no correction takes place

Congrats to you Pavan !!
I too am looking to do the same and buy the new 1911 from the US, only problem i see is shipping to Pune.
can you tell me how much shipping to India was or did you carry it yourself ?

Also may I suggest the Definitive technology PRO CINEMA 600 for $550 if you are looking to buy in the US. The low and high frequencies of these speakers match up very well with this AVR. and since its def tech you can be assured of great quality sound.

I haven't yet brought to India, but would carry it myself on the next trip. Since its just $350, I am hoping customs should not trouble me much. I will carry the Amazon invoice and credit card statement as a proof.

I am planning to buy speakers locally since carrying all will be a problem. Of course, it may change if I get very good deals in the US or very bad deals locally.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back