Buying my first soundbar

abhiminhas

This is my first post ever. Very excited to join the community !!

I have sony w80d tv that supports hdmi-cec but not optical. The TV suports dolby if that matters. Mum's quite adamant on buying a soundbar and I'm an audiophile for headphones so I wanna make sure we make the right purchase. So far the tv is used for movies and music few times a week each. Wifi connectivity is important because I want her to be able to play music via her phone. I've been reading and decided to buy a 5.1 system but the soundbar scene doesnt seem too good in india and premium ones are too expensive. I'm willing to shell out less than 30k only.

So far I've shortlisted the following.
1) LG SL6Y 3.1
2) Jbl bar 2.1
3) Philips TAPB603/10 (3.1)

sorry if the choices seem too inconsistent, I started reading about it this evening only. How to proceed?

I have sony w80d tv that supports hdmi-cec but not optical. The TV suports dolby if that matters. Mum's quite adamant on buying a soundbar and I'm an audiophile for headphones so I wanna make sure we make the right purchase. So far the tv is used for movies and music few times a week each. Wifi connectivity is important because I want her to be able to play music via her phone. I've been reading and decided to buy a 5.1 system but the soundbar scene doesnt seem too good in india and premium ones are too expensive. I'm willing to shell out less than 30k only.

1) LG SL6Y 3.1
2) Jbl bar 2.1

sorry if the choices seem too inconsistent, I started reading about it this evening only. How to proceed?
Welcome to Hifivision !

With in budget of 30k, i would like to recommend you following options.
1. Polk Magnifi Mini / Command Bar
2. Yamaha YAS-209 (with wireless sub) / YAS-109 (without subwoofer, however has built in dual sub)
3. JBL Bar 2.1

If your interested in 5.1 combo in soundbar within 30k
1. LG SL6Y - add LG SPK8-S (Wireless rear speakers) to make it complete package
2. Sony HT-RT3 / HTS500

Welcome to Hifivision !

With in budget of 30k, i would like to recommend you following options.
1. Polk Magnifi Mini / Command Bar
2. Yamaha YAS-209 (with wireless sub) / YAS-109 (without subwoofer, however has built in dual sub)
3. JBL Bar 2.1

If your interested in 5.1 combo in soundbar within 30k
1. LG SL6Y - add LG SPK8-S (Wireless rear speakers) to make it complete package
2. Sony HT-RT3 / HTS500

Hello!! thanks for replying!

So far I'm edging towards LG SL6Y + LG SPK8-S. Can you help me understand why it has been discounted so much?The mrp of the soundbar is 40,000 but now its selling at less than half the price.

I think LG SL6Y is available for ~17k but thats without rear package (LG SPK8). Rear speaker package may cost you additional 7-8k

Hello!! thanks for replying!

So far I'm edging towards LG SL6Y + LG SPK8-S. Can you help me understand why it has been discounted so much?The mrp of the soundbar is 40,000 but now its selling at less than half the price.

These (SL6Y / SL8YG / SL10YG) are 2019 model. LG has already launched their 2020 models - SN11RG, SN10YG, SN9YG, SN8YG & SN7Y, hence you can expect the price drop on 2019 models, hopefully 2020 models will be available in India during festival season, however expect it to be priced higher as its new launch.

Good time to buy 2019 models like LG SL6Y, where the prices have dropped as low as 15k (Reliance digital) might be you can bargain it further down in person as well as few cash back offers in store/ online too.

cheers,
:cool:

Hi, my dad uses LG SK5 sound bar with LG tv. it’s just an year old and subwoofer driver gone. Now it’s in service Center for more than 10 days waiting for the driver to come from Noida. So reliability may be a concern.

But always consider buying at least 3.1 rather than 2.1 because with dts vx in 2.1 system the dialogues will go low for movies(DD/DD+), so u have crank up the volume to listen while this will make other music loud so level match will be a pblm.

LG SL6Y + LG SPK8-S is a good option.

+1 for Q60r. For 26k, it’s a very good 3.1 system. You can always add bluetooth rear speakers sold separately for ~12k.
I never wanted one. But after reading reviews. I demoed 3 soundbars from Samsung and q90 was just superb. If tv watching involves only gaming and movies, (not critical music concert listening) then I don’t think anything I have heard beats this, with the only exception of the sennheiser which was may be two leagues above this. But q60 is very good for the price.

1) LG SL6Y 3.1
2) Jbl bar 2.1

Yamaha YAS-209 offers the best VFM within 30K.

I never wanted one. But after reading reviews. I demoed 3 soundbars from Samsung and q90 was just superb. If tv watching involves only gaming and movies, (not critical music concert listening) then I don’t think anything I have heard beats this, with the only exception of the sennheiser which was may be two leagues above this. But q60 is very good for the price.
Where did you demo Samsung Q90R? I dont think it was launched in India. Cant find it anywhere!

If somebody is still looking at budget 5.1 soundbar - Motorola has launched one at around 15K! This looks very similar to JBL 5.1 soundbar except that the rear speakers are powered[do not include built-in battery].

But this Motorola and few budget options suggested above from LG/Samsung are not Dolby/DTS certified. So not sure if these can decode Dolby encoded 5.1 channel. My understanding is DTS Virtual is not the same as full Dolby/DTS encoding.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back