• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Cab build for university 312 diffaxial

Wharfedale EVO4.1 Bookshelf Speakers

sachu888

As some of you aware I have got these drivers, thread here http://www.hifivision.com/vintage-audio/57299-university-312-triaxial.html The cab work has started now. I have decided to build simple reflex cab suggested for similar 6201 driver:

The design

I have used 18 mm MDF. The cabs will be painted dark Brown with Duco paint:

The front baffle is directly mounted on the front frame from inside using wood screw. The drivers will be mounted from behind.The back side will be removable.

First coat of primer :

Ready to paint :

Regards
Sachin

sadik

Hi Sachin,

Whats the Update.... Please Upload some more Pics regarding the Process. Eagerly waiting for the Final Outcome.

Sadik

sachu888

Hi Sachin,

Whats the Update.... Please Upload some more Pics regarding the Process. Eagerly waiting for the Final Outcome.

Sadik

Nothing much, Sanding is done. they will be painted on Saturday and Sunday. I will post more pics after painting.

Regards
Sachin

reubensm

Great stuff Sachin, kindly share some details on how the wood panels on the enclosure are held in place together and details of the paint job, very curious to know.

sachu888

Great stuff Sachin, kindly share some details on how the wood panels on the enclosure are held in place together and details of the paint job, very curious to know.

Hi Reuben,
The cabs are made of 18mm interior grade MDF. Front panel is mounted on front frame from inside(not removable). The back panel is mounted on frame type internal bracing, using wood screws from outside. I have kept back panel removable.
The paint is called Deco? at least carpenter told me so. I think its a Automotive grade paint.Its a long process for paint and different than oil paint. It needs a first coat of Deco primer and minimum 2 coats of special Putty, sanding between each coat. There should be minimum 2 coats of paint for final finish. There is also optional clear PU coat which I did not opt as it makes surface super shiny.
Deco paint can't be applied by hand not even primer. It needs a spray gun. Now the outer surface is as hard as Ceramic.

Regards
Sachin

sachu888

why paint over veneer?

I wanted to save money. I initially told him to finish them with oil paint. My friend asked me to go for Deco paints. This should be somewhat costlier than Veneer, but I liked the finish at my friend's home. It looks to be very durable and should not chip as time passes.

Regards
Sachin

sadik

Looking Beautiful:clapping:...Is something wrong with the Camera Dates ... ?

manniraj

Great going Sachin, looks awesome :clapping:

Just put them near the wall they will look like the perfect windows ;)