Cables Recommendation

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

Since my knowledge is limited to none about the cables, I need your opinion on picking up right cables for my system. I have an offer of brand new cables for around 11.5K net cost to me from overseas.

1. Wireworld Ultraviolet USB A – B 1m
2. Audioquest Red River XLR 1m

There are some sale threads as well on the forum Like Supra, Audioquest etc that I am exploring as well. I am very much open to buy used cables if they turn out to be better than the brand new ones in the same budget. I would be using Laptop as the source to feed in to an external dac and then connecting the dac to integrated amplifier. My budget is limited as of now 10- 15K max, I want to get started with reasonably priced cables for now.

What are your views about the mentioned cables? I am planning to have USB cable at least 2 meters in length and XLR pair around 1 meter in length.

My System
1. Luxman 590 AXII IA
2. Luxman DA-06 DAC
3. Klipsch Forte III

Many thanks.

Regards
Vivek

Last edited:
Consider FM's JLS001's usb cable. I have compared to it to a highly regarded cable costing $300, and preferred this one by a large margin. So did another FM.
Cheers,
Sid

If you will use a Mcc laptop I have a Lifatec Optical Cable. I bought it recently but soon after that my mac conked off. Now I usea CD player and no longer do PC Audio, so this cable is surplus for me. Mac optical output is supposed to be very well optimized for audio. If interested let me know.

If you will use a Mcc laptop I have a Lifatec Optical Cable. I bought it recently but soon after that my mac conked off. Now I usea CD player and no longer do PC Audio, so this cable is surplus for me. Mac optical output is supposed to be very well optimized for audio. If interested let me know.
I have windows laptop without optical port.

Also upgrade your power cable. You will feel big improvement over default cable.
Do you have any Indian links from where better cables and plugs can be bought? WIll the local electrical stores have such cables? Any particular spec to keep an eye on?

MaSh

That's out of my budget for now :( . I just want to get started at the moment.
You want to get started, why not just give AmazonBasics a shot?
While my setup may not be as resolving as yours, I couldn't hear an iota of a difference between amazonbasics and an audioquest RCA I had borrowed.
As for speaker cables, I eventually moved to 2.5mm polycab (i.e. 14 AWG)
YMMV of course ! :)

You want to get started, why not just give AmazonBasics a shot?
While my setup may not be as resolving as yours, I couldn't hear an iota of a difference between amazonbasics and an audioquest RCA I had borrowed.
As for speaker cables, I eventually moved to 2.5mm polycab (i.e. 14 AWG)
YMMV of course ! :)
For USB I have already found a printer cable. For speakers I have a 14 AWG very basic copper unterminated one. So just matter of a pair of XLR now.

You can make your own XLR with good neutrix connectors and mogami cable - i have an entire set new unopened in case you like (i ultimately decided to go in for VDH Second) and will be well within your budget. Besides, Ali has several new Mogami choices.

For USB I have already found a printer cable. For speakers I have a 14 AWG very basic copper unterminated one. So just matter of a pair of XLR now.

Very good. It doesnt make sense to go for expensive cables on the first go. Let your ears accomodate to the new sound of the system till the equipment gets burn-in completely. Be familiar how your system sounds then go for expensive cables and experimentation to tame the sound to your liking and improve it.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back