Cadence vs Lyrita vs Rethm

I am a firm believer in multiple speakers and multiple amps-that way you get to enjoy all the Chinese, Mughlai and Continental offerings as well as the best of Indian veggie stuff!

Isn't loose bass cause by low damping different from excessive boom caused by too much bass?
Hi Stevieboy,

I'm relatively new to the arena of audiophilia when compared to you guys and probably not capable of distinguishing between
loose bass caused by low damping
which you say is different from
excessive boom caused by too much bass

I think a lot of times the room has a far greater role to play in the bass getting too much in a room and boom then happening. Which is why in many people and reviewers suggest that in typical listening rooms, less bass eg bookshelf versus more uncontrollable bass from floorstander is a much better proposition.

I'll quote from my experience. I've been using my three way tower since the past 10 years and am used to the boom of the 12" woofer in some of the tracks. I had recently played them with Rotel 991 Power amp and was amazed to notice that not only the bass get tighter bum the total disappearance of boom which I was familiar with. Mind you, except the amp, everything else is the same including the room.

My more experienced fellow listeners attributed it to the high damping factor of the amp. Till then, I was not even aware of the meaning of that term.

the room of the person in question was quite untreated from the picture that I remember if that person is from Chennai too and I'm guessing right who you mean.
IMHO it is not proper for me to answer this as I do not have his consent to quote him.

I'd definitely agree that my system has looser bass than a conventional two/three way speaker driven by a SS amp which has tighter bass, but excessive boom as a given in a SET-single driver system...
At least there is some agreement albeit for different reason.;)

I am a firm believer in multiple speakers and multiple amps-that way you get to enjoy all the Chinese, Mughlai and Continental offerings as well as the best of Indian veggie stuff!

I agree. I have a pair of Audire IO2s along with a pair Dynaudio bookshelves gracing my living room. They both use different amps and sound great with different music.

I agree. I have a pair of Audire IO2s along with a pair Dynaudio bookshelves gracing my living room. They both use different amps and sound great with different music.

Yes but not affordable to middle class India. OT but that's why DIY is the best route - if not the whole chain from source to speaker, Saving 50K on one component via DIY route can make extra gear affordable... :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

Yes but not affordable to middle class India. OT but that's why DIY is the best route - if not the whole chain from source to speaker, Saving 50K on one component via DIY route can make extra gear affordable... :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

I am sure DIY must be a good route;
However, I have never had the chance to audition any DIY gear.
Maybe it sounds great - some day.....
Is it really that cheap ????
I am very very keen to make a sub for myself... I have chosen my drivers [the ones I want to use] - they are from accuton - 4 or 8 pieces per enclosure - but I do not know who can make it for me ?
I can work on the 'enclosure' but the electronics [active amplifier] & the x-over is where I need some serious help....

Can you or any one else advise ? Who to go to ? Where to go ?

Suggestions shall be much appreciated....

p.s. Does any person know of a 'commercial' sub that is made ? Who makes it ? Accuton chassis i.e.

http://www.clofis.nl/nl/thiel/C220-T6_kompleet.pdf

This is what I need to use....

Same case here to Prem, have been through so many speakers but finally settled on the Rethm Saadhanas and they in a different world. Nothing like a single horn. Period.IMHO.

I need to listen to these in India.
I have heard them @ a Show with Emille from S Korea.
Does any one have them in Mumbai ?
Can I get invited for a listen ?

Please...

Thanks,
:)

I am sure DIY must be a good route;
However, I have never had the chance to audition any DIY gear.
Maybe it sounds great - some day.....
Is it really that cheap ????
I am very very keen to make a sub for myself... I have chosen my drivers [the ones I want to use] - they are from accuton - 4 or 8 pieces per enclosure - but I do not know who can make it for me ?
I can work on the 'enclosure' but the electronics [active amplifier] & the x-over is where I need some serious help....

Can you or any one else advise ? Who to go to ? Where to go ?

Suggestions shall be much appreciated....

p.s. Does any person know of a 'commercial' sub that is made ? Who makes it ? Accuton chassis i.e.

http://www.clofis.nl/nl/thiel/C220-T6_kompleet.pdf

This is what I need to use....

Thats the beauty of making a sub. No need to do all this. Get a plate amp, or a pro-amp like behringer. You wont gain too much in terms of money by going for a commercial plate amp. About 500w plate amp will cost <300$. for about 300-350$, you can get a 2 channel 1kw behringer, this can be bridged also.

You do need a high pass filter though (unless going for sealed).

If you are going to be using a receiver, you wont need a low passfilter. If your amp has a sub out, most probably it will have a lpf.

Plate amps usually will have both (check specs before buying though).

Do the cabinet design in winISD, get it checked here on the forums, get a carpenter to make the cabinet, slap the drivers and plate amp in and you are done.
Of course you will face a million small small problems. Mr murphy has a specific law for this:lol:

Thats the beauty of making a sub. No need to do all this. Get a plate amp, or a pro-amp like behringer. You wont gain too much in terms of money by going for a commercial plate amp. About 500w plate amp will cost <300$. for about 300-350$, you can get a 2 channel 1kw behringer, this can be bridged also.

You do need a high pass filter though (unless going for sealed).

If you are going to be using a receiver, you wont need a low passfilter. If your amp has a sub out, most probably it will have a lpf.

Plate amps usually will have both (check specs before buying though).

Do the cabinet design in winISD, get it checked here on the forums, get a carpenter to make the cabinet, slap the drivers and plate amp in and you are done.
Of course you will face a million small small problems. Mr murphy has a specific law for this:lol:

In practice it is bound to be a bigger headache than this for sure :eek:hyeah:

Those that cannot solder should go the DIO route (Do-It-Otherself) but still procure the cheaper DIY parts. :rolleyes:

Cheers

@stevieboy
"In general and this is my sole opinion, people who tend to like single drivers and SET amps are more focused on the musical side of the music."

Musical side of music?What exactly does that mean?Does music have a non-musical side also?:):):)
I notice that when discussions get heated on the forum we sometimes get lost in hyperbole.I'm sure if we threw a sentence like 'musical side of music' at a professional musician or composer he would not know how to respond.
For me,it's finally not about tube or solid state.Single driver or multiple drivers.All HIFI is simply a means to an end.
And the end will always be the music we listen to.
Personally I would be more impressed with a guy listening to Beethoven on his cell phone, than a guy listening to Pink Floyd or Dire Straits on some la-di-da valve amp and esoteric speakers which cost a million bucks.

Last edited:
Personally I would be more impressed with a guy listening to Beethoven on his cell phone, than a guy listening ....valve amp and esoteric speakers which cost a million bucks.

:clapping: really like the way you think ! all of us have a tendency to forget as to why we buy equipment in the first place (me included) and a statement like that puts things into perspective

Personally I would be more impressed with a guy listening to Beethoven on his cell phone, than a guy listening to Pink Floyd or Dire Straits on some la-di-da valve amp and esoteric speakers which cost a million bucks.

Ajay this is a known fact;
Number of people that listen to music on an Ipod is far far more than 'audiophiles' !
The ratio may be 10000 : 1 if not more in favour of I-Pod.......

The question here is not about music - all people that listen to music - love it, Dire Straits / Pink Floyd / Beethoven etc. etc.
The question of this thread is will it be 'better' on a Cadence / Lyrita or Rythem ? If I understood it correctly....
Hence we need to deliberate on the options...
What is preferred by us / others & our suggestions should be in a position to help the person in Gurgaon to decide... [I think] !!

p.s. Mobile Phones now seem to be as good if not better devices for music playback as compared to apple products - they sure are cheaper.....:yahoo:

what is the problem with dire straits or pink floyd?is that music not suitable for million dollors system?

The question of this thread is will it be 'better' on a Cadence / Lyrita or Rythem? If I understood it correctly....
Hence we need to deliberate on the options...
What is preferred by us / others & our suggestions should be in a position to help the person in Gurgaon to decide... [I think] !!

Thank you, Shanti, for remembering me. :)

Actually I do realize that music is a very personal experience so I wouldn't presume to ask what system is 'better'. But experienced audiophiles like yourself could certainly point me towards the strengths and weakness of various options, including what works best with what kind of music.

To that end, I must say that this thread has been most helpful. I keep saying this, but I can't thank you guys enough for your generosity in sharing your opinions, thoughts and experiences.

@ajay124: I am not sure what you meant by that Pink Floyd vs Beethoven comment.

Firstly, why would you be impressed (or otherwise) by the kind of music another person prefers e.g. if I may use a very rough analogy, do you get more impressed by a guy who prefers chicken curry to a guy who prefers sandwiches?

Secondly, Beethoven and Mozart must have been pop artists in their time, no? What does it matter if one listens to a pop artist from the 18th century or the 20th?

In a lighter vein, I would be VERY impressed with a guy who could afford a million dollar sound system!!

Last edited:

These are not mutually exclusive options. so what about a guy who likes both and listens to a system that is somewhere in between the mobile and 'million buck system':lol:

I will only comment on what I have heard & that too only the +ve things....

a] Cadence

Used to make good speakers - however, they need to move... All their products are 'dated' More than 1 decade old....

Amplification too is 'dated' The VA-1 is 'old' & was great at its time... Now it is 'over priced' & lacks 'finess'

The Canasya [I use this] - I shall not comment on [I have a personal interest in the product]....

b] Lyrita - do not have exposure - so will not comment...

c[ Rethym - Great effort from Jacob.

Build quality has improved - leaps & bounds...
Older designs were having a few rough edges, new speaker is good. I think it is great VFM. I like the speaker & the sound...

I went to the Rethm website and they seem to have two models. Anybody knows what price range we are talking about?

The Canasya is pretty expensive too, isn't it? You are beginning to impress me a lot, Shanti. :)

You have the Arca to go with the Canasya?

@stevieboy
"In general and this is my sole opinion, people who tend to like single drivers and SET amps are more focused on the musical side of the music."

Musical side of music?What exactly does that mean?Does music have a non-musical side also?:):):)

Well Ajay,

What I meant was using audiophile terms to describe music. There's a musical way to describe music, then there's the audiophile way. I personally find it hard to describe systems in the normal terms audiophiles use. If you see Dr Bass's comments on how his friend described Mahler I think it was, that's non-audiophile too. It was purely as a statement of he could relate to the music being played on his Harbeths. That's what I mean by the musical side of music. The audiophile side of the same music would possibly be something like "The micro dynamics and macro dynamics were reproduced perfectly, the treble was crisp without that harsh sizzle I hate, the midrange was perfect, bringing forth the timbre and tone of the violins in all their glory, the bass was reproduced linearly down to XX hertz, there was some mid bass hump but not enough to spoil the presentation".

I hope you get the difference I'm trying to make.

regards

edit: The above comments you've quoted were not made from the perspective of proving that SET amps/single drivers are superior. It was made from the perspective that I think people have pre-conceived notions of what a good system (to them) ought to sound like, and they approach buying with those 'shopping list' qualities in mind. For some it could be gut wrenching bass that just has to be present, for some its a silky extended treble that just has to be there. And for those qualities that one wants, one is then willing to compromise on other qualities that are not so high up on one's priority list. And that's how choices get made cos certainly no speaker/amp/system has everything going perfectly for it. For me for example, I had high on my priority list that the system had to connect to me emotionally as a whole, if it didn't have the best treble, the best bass I didn't mind, hence I'm more able to enjoy what my system does and live with the compromises it has vis a vis other possible system choices I had. In my early days I used to be focused on ok so this speaker has better treble than that one, this one seems to reproduce bass better, very audiophile terms that seemed to be the way to me then to choose speakers/amp but then I realized I was missing out on the music itself and focusing only on parts. This was the audiophile side of music for me. I've since switched over to the musical side of music, how well does a system connect with me emotionally. Instead of multiple boxes to tick I've got just one now.

Also a lot of people who've heard my system will say things like yeah it lacks treble extension, it does not do tight bass, I find some details missing, but what it does is make me forget all these terms and just enjoy the music. I hope you do not construe this as meaning as being 'superior' its just a different way of looking at things :)

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back