Can a LCD/Plasma replace a PC monitor ?

Spidey

Hello

I was just wondering if in a HT room, a CPU is directly connected to a 40" LCD/plasma, can this be used for normal computing ( not just watching movies) like browsing net, using Office.

I think there will be eye strain and is the picture perfect ?
At what distance you should sit with a wireless mouse/kb for use ?
thanks

Using a 46" Series 5 Sammy for the very same purpose mate....occasional browsing and as HTPC for 1080p playback.Have a 24" Samsung monitor too connected to the gcard as well(failed last week though) and switch between the 2 as needed.

A wireless KB @ 5 feet and its NOT stressing at all if backlight is set low(0-2) for browsing purposes.

I raed a lot and got confusing info
Anyway 40 inch I feel overkill for office.
My budget was less and looking for Monitor,Display for Media Player and TV .
also I never liked effects of external tuner also most of the basic LCD monitors does not have HDMI and Componant out

So I purchased LCD Monitor?TV combo AOC V22T
It is 22 Inch but i think you get upto 26 Inch
LG and AOC are only 2 companies I found making Dual displays.

BTW I read somewhere ( not finding the link) that LCD's are better than plasma for proximity working .Also told by someone that LCD is far better than CRT ..

EXPERTS PLEASE CONFIRM

lcds have much lower power consumption viz viz crt n plasma.
people have used plasmas and lcds for computer screen in gaming world for long without any complaint albeit needing more computational power for high res.
office or surfing from safer distance wont be strenuous for one reason- their aint no dynamis changes in brightness/contrasts as frames will mostly be common.
i used 32" lcd as my screen and @ 3-5 feets its all okay. used for net as well as files etc. aint tried gaming though i have a 1 gb graphic card.
fyi. i even used my projector 800*600 pxl for pc n surfing purpose and it was reasonable.
my advise, give it a go.
ps- my 32 incher aint full hd just 1366*968

Yes they can be used.

I am using one from 10 ft away for general browsing/computing as well as for HT.

Well ,if you have wireless keybrd/mouce ,then you can use a big screen for HTPC,Gaming(provided display has low response time)
For office no for work,but for showing projects in conferences.

I think it is a question of Resolution of tv and refresh rate.

If I am not mistaken, a tv viewed from less than 5 feet will flicker a little bit as its refresh rate is ?low while the PC screen is rock steady and wont flicker even if your nose touches the screen.
Another part is glare given out by LCD TV which is not given by monitor.

Any views ?

I think it is a question of Resolution of tv and refresh rate.

If I am not mistaken, a tv viewed from less than 5 feet will flicker a little bit as its refresh rate is ?low while the PC screen is rock steady and wont flicker even if your nose touches the screen.
Another part is glare given out by LCD TV which is not given by monitor.

Any views ?

i see no issues with it..
i use my Sammy 40" LCD with a 1080p resolution for typing/browsing etc..
the key is to use HDMI rather than VGA..
and refresh rate 60/75 is sufficient with a progressive res

I was just wondering if in a HT room, a CPU is directly connected to a 40" LCD/plasma, can this be used for normal computing ( not just watching movies) like browsing net, using Office.

Definitely not a plasma. Large parts of a computer screen are static. E.g. while browsing Hifivision, browser address bar/toolbars would be static. This might result in TIR / Burn in.

Definitely not a plasma. Large parts of a computer screen are static. E.g. while browsing Hifivision, browser address bar/toolbars would be static. This might result in TIR / Burn in.

FYI, I am using a Plasma for these purposes. As long as you keep the pixels moving every half hour or so, there is no problem. I dont think any of us are going to keep the home page static without any movement. But yes, if we are not working we have to setup a screensaver.

Even if you don't keep home page static, things like Task Bar are static (E.g. "Start " button). And since its more than 40 pixels, pixel shifters don't help.

you can autohide the taskbar,also keep the wallpaper at rotation,may hide the desktop icon as well if still worried,i do it occasionally with my samsung, looks awesome compared to my 23" dell u2311 h, but still i wont do this for everyday browsing

Well I don't understand this... Sorry.. if a CRT with higher chance of burn in can be used(and have been used for ages) for browsing(as in a CRT monitor), why are we worried about task bar, address bar etc on a plasma screen? Am I missing something?
Ron

I have been using my lap top via projector with cordless key board and mouse, from a distance of around 14 feet, while very often i have to view live data, which i do from a distance of 23 feet. :yahoo:

V.

I remeber a very old post by Venkatcr when he was looking for a LCD monitor.. he was visiting consumer electronics shops and searching for LCD TVs but latter he bought a LCD monitor not TV.

Wonder what he has to say between the two..

thanks

I am putting this question here becos :

in my HT room, i want to put the PC on the AV rack and connect it to the LCD tv and/or projector. Thats all. no PC monitor.

is this feasible ??

thanks

I am putting this question here becos :

in my HT room, i want to put the PC on the AV rack and connect it to the LCD tv and/or projector. Thats all. no PC monitor.

is this feasible ??

thanks

most of the guys with HTPC do the same..
one difference though, most of them would have a monitor connected through VGA which is helpful for cases where your digital display can be saved or may not be useful..for eg doing routine tasks other than movie watching/games etc.. For eg I use my HTPC 50% of time for music playback and encoding/ rest of the 50% being movie watching on prj
get a second hand CRT for 1k

Hi, I am using my Panasonic 42" plasma for my HTPC since last 10 months without any issues...you can use the tricks like auto hide taskbar, screen saver and changing wallpaper for avoiding static display....well if you are using it for HTPC and gaming, this is hardly the case. I don't have my seperate VGA monitor connected now for last two months. But I am using the same plasma for net browsing and all other routine stuff with a w/l kb and mouse. No issues at all.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back