Can AVR solve PAL->NTSC issue?

I can confirm that the Dish TruHD set-top box allows you to select between 1080i/50Hz & 1080i/60Hz.

But does that solve the PAL/NTSC problem ? Are you able to watch TV on a NTSC only TV by changing this setting ?

We still do not have an answer to the original question. Looks like there is no one with a NTSC only TV who has an AVR.

I could have tried it out, but I have given away my NTSC only TV.

But does that solve the PAL/NTSC problem ? Are you able to watch TV on a NTSC only TV by changing this setting ?

We still do not have an answer to the original question. Looks like there is no one with a NTSC only TV who has an AVR.

I could have tried it out, but I have given away my NTSC only TV.
Sorry but I cannot answer that question for sure, since I don't have a NTSC only TV. But theoretically, I see no reason why it would not work.

I too want to know if the Tata Sky HD etc will work with an NTSC only tv (brought from US). I am getting a good offer for a NTSC-only LCD tv. I understand that regular analog tata sky will not work but what about tata sky HD through HDMI?

Can someone confirm if TATA HD STB can output NTSC signal.
Your question is oncorrect. There is no such thing as NTSC in the digital or HD world. What you need to be asking is whether the 'TataSky HD' STB has the option to output 1080i60Hz or not and the answer to that, unfortunately is NO. The 'Dish FraudHD' STB onthe other hand does have this option.

A modulator is a RF modulator that converts a DVD composite or component signal into a signal that is identical to the signal that a TV receives through it's antenna. A TV tuner is the unit that receives the signal from an antenna, and decodes the audio and video signals. It is this unit that recognises the video format. The modulator's output is sent to the tuner for decoding.

Cheers

Venkat, I hate to say, but you are wrong in few things here.. I agree that tuner is used to TUNE the RF Frequencies, demodulate composite video WITHIN THE RF INPUT. It is NOT used to decode MULTIPLEXED (UNMODULATED) composite video! You have confused two things here. First, you are treating composite video output of a AVR, STB, etc. same as modulated RF which is not true in present scenario as the "A/V" outputs and inputs NEVER GET MODULATED. They contain the ORIGINAL MULTIPLEXED VIDEO (ENCODED to PAL OR NTSC) and do not get modulated like when sent through an RF modulator.

Then, you are confused between the color system and the RF TUNER. You might have seen some Tuner housing doing the job of decoding the composite video as well. That does not mean that the tuner has ANYTHING to do with demultiplexing the PAL or NTSC signals. This demultiplexing (DEMUX in short) is done by the color decoding system of the TV and not the tuner.. There are several real world A/V systems which do not have tuners in them.. And you are still arguing about it trying to prove your point?

Both NTSC and PAL follow interlaced scanning. Actually the concept of interlaced scanning was invented to solve the limitation that TV cameras had in the old days coupled to limitation that TV transmitters had.

Unless your CRT is a HD ready CRT as specifically mentioned by the manufacturer and has component (YPbPr inputs), it can, most probably, only display interlaced images. This is irrespective of what is displayed as the resolution and scanning method on the top right.

When you are using a DVD player, you will be able to transmit a progressive scanned image only if you are using a component video connection labelled 'YPbPr', or DVI, or HDMI. If you are using composite, S-Video, or YCbCr connections, you will only receive interlaced signals.

The reason I mentioned that CRTs cannot display progressive signals is that HD ready CRTs are rare and are a dying breed.

Cheers

We don't need an HD ready CRT to accept progressive signals. There are several CRT TVs which support progressive component inputs, convert them to interlaced internally and display interlaced. Component inputs are used by these TVs to avoid PAL or NTSC encoding and decoding cycles which reduce the quality of video (like what RF modulation does to composite video). Component method is useful especially for MPEG2 and higher compressed DIGITAL VIDEO (like DVD) where instead of converting colors to RGB or PAL or NTSC, they get transferred through component outputs maintaining better quality of video as compared to other analog formats.

As far as I know, all HD signals are essentially digital. 1080i can be supported by some CRT TVs, however that do not make the format analog.

Hi ,

I heard that Dish TV TruHD STB has a setting in which the HDMI output can be configured as 1080i/50Hz or 1080i/60Hz. If that is the case, I believe it should work with NTSC TV as well. NTSC TV supports 60Hz ( 30fps).

I also have NTSC TV and looking for such STB
Yes it should. Essentially there is nothing as "NTSC HDTV". NTSC is an analog signalling format which is used to represent SD video only. You essentially need an STB or video source which is capable of outputting 1080i at 60Hz which Dish HD does. Same applies to other HD formats vis 720p and 1080p.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back