Can I get a brand new "hi-fi" amp for ~25k ?

UPDATE:
Bought the Sony Xperia ZR for 25k and that means nothing left for the amp upgrade :(
But that doesn't mean that I won't buy an amp, its just that I have to postpone it a lil bit. Still interested in the Cambridge Audio Azur 651/351 or the Yamaha AS500.

BTW, my aunts have started to talk about the m-word a lot now and so is my parents. If that happens.....well, I'm finished lol :D

So, I'm gonna get the amp this month.

Seems like the Yamaha AS 500 is a great option for me.

So, I'm gonna get the amp this month.

Seems like the Yamaha AS 500 is a great option for me.

lol, I have changed my mind....again.

Gonna build a Jean Hiraga - Le Monstre 8W with the help of bibin3210.

lol, I have changed my mind....again.

Gonna build a Jean Hiraga - Le Monstre 8W with the help of bibin3210.

A high quality class A amp like this one will have a bright, "in your face" presentation - which is what you said you really wanted?? :sad:

I'm completely puzzled now.

But - considering the quality of the amp, I can see why you made this decision. Especially when you have experts to help you. Honestly, I think this is the best approach in India (as opposed to buying imported amps). All the best.

I do wonder though (applicable for most class A and tubes). The specifications of your speaker states: Recommended amplifier output: 30 - 360 Watts. And your amp is 8W - significantly lower than even the minimum required rating. But people do this all the time with class A and tubes and report very good results. So I wonder why manufacturers post such obviously incorrect specs to begin with.

Last edited:
So, it seems like there are no used integrated amp for sale in my range. The only option for me is to go for a new one.

I was tempted to go for the Marantz Pm 6004 but they say it have a warm sound. But, my speakers are warm, not a good combination.
That leaves it out.

Then comes the Cambridge Audio stuff. I like the 351 A. I also saw an ad for a 550 too. But, the specs mentions only speakers with 8 ohm load while mine aren't.
So, CA is out.

That leaves only the Yamaha A S500. It's bright sounding and have plenty of power, just what I wanted. I have had a demo of the AS 500 with a Yamaha speaker and came away impressed . So, if I can get a demo unit for loan, I can try it with my speakers.
I'm gonna wait till the end of this week to see if I can land a good used amp and if it doesn't happen, time for visiting the nearest Yamaha showroom.

@asliarun

The Le Monstre is a masterpiece. I just wanted to hear from my own speakers

Last edited:
I suggestyou to test: Nad 326, Mara 6004/5, Denon 720 with your speakers in shop.
Insane test : Marantz Pm 6004 vs Quad 34 + 306 vs Yam AS 500 on B&W 603 floorstanding

----------------------------------------------------​

Yam as 500 in direct comparison with pm 6004 shows more dry, although more diffuse and detailed high frequencies, similar bass punch, but more fatiguing listening overall, for me. I tested this AS 500 for a week at home , but then I changed with Marantz PM 6004 .
Yam AS 500 is a very complete amp, but doesn't meet my preferences for a warm sound with my B&W; is a beautifull vintage looking amp, with a lot of features, but no good vol and tone knobs and a delicate front plate for fingerprints when you touch ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some months ago I did some measures: CD PinkF Dark Side otm - absolutely high volumes ( there were no neighbors! ) , with vol knob at 15 o'clock , (max is 17 hours) and source direct ; in the peaks I digitally tested (average) : Vmax = 14 V/ch and Imax = 1.7 A, for a maximum power of almost 25 W/ch; I generally listen to 9:30 hours max, with my wife coming & asking me for a lower volumes....I've to say that, while the Quad 34 + 306 that I owned before for 20 years , with the same B&W towers, and at a little lower volume, was going in protection (I had to unlock it using the back button) and also warmed up a bit on the smart front radiator, the Marantz instead was almost cold and never gone + in protection. The Quad was also sounding a little harsh and with harder highs, at these levels, while the Pm 6004 has retained a good liquidity on the mid & highs, which were still confortable...; anyway, in everydays normal cd listening, at 9:30, I get only an output of 1 W/ch max on peaks, more punchy bass and similar mid vs Quad!

Just a few thoughts :cheers:

I suggestyou to test: Nad 326, Mara 6004/5, Denon 720 with your speakers in shop.
Insane test : Marantz Pm 6004 vs Quad 34 + 306 vs Yam AS 500 on B&W 603 floorstanding

----------------------------------------------------​

Yam as 500 in direct comparison with pm 6004 shows more dry, although more diffuse and detailed high frequencies, similar bass punch, but more fatiguing listening overall, for me. I tested this AS 500 for a week at home , but then I changed with Marantz PM 6004 .
Yam AS 500 is a very complete amp, but doesn't meet my preferences for a warm sound with my B&W; is a beautifull vintage looking amp, with a lot of features, but no good vol and tone knobs and a delicate front plate for fingerprints when you touch ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some months ago I did some measures: CD PinkF Dark Side otm - absolutely high volumes ( there were no neighbors! ) , with vol knob at 15 o'clock , (max is 17 hours) and source direct ; in the peaks I digitally tested (average) : Vmax = 14 V/ch and Imax = 1.7 A, for a maximum power of almost 25 W/ch; I generally listen to 9:30 hours max, with my wife coming & asking me for a lower volumes....I've to say that, while the Quad 34 + 306 that I owned before for 20 years , with the same B&W towers, and at a little lower volume, was going in protection (I had to unlock it using the back button) and also warmed up a bit on the smart front radiator, the Marantz instead was almost cold and never gone + in protection. The Quad was also sounding a little harsh and with harder highs, at these levels, while the Pm 6004 has retained a good liquidity on the mid & highs, which were still confortable...; anyway, in everydays normal cd listening, at 9:30, I get only an output of 1 W/ch max on peaks, more punchy bass and similar mid vs Quad!

Just a few thoughts :cheers:

Thanks for your observations :thumbsup:
Very detailed.

My reasoning is that if my speakers are "laid back", I need an amp with a lively sound.

Hi,

Just one penny of my personal suggestion.

As far my listening experience ONKYO is the top in forward sounding then comes Yummy and CA.

Check for Yummy and onkyo for your budget with audition.

Hi,

Just one penny of my personal suggestion.

As far my listening experience ONKYO is the top in forward sounding then comes Yummy and CA.

Check for Yummy and onkyo for your budget with audition.

Thanks man.

I'll check it out if I can.

Edit:
Do you have any specific model that you can recommend?

Last edited:
Called our local Yamaha dealer.
He said he don't have any stereo amplifier in stock coz no one buys them, he only gets them against an order. :(
About the pricing, he says he can give me a 10% discount on its MRP which means the final price would be around 32k.
He's also a dealer of Onkyo but he's not sure about the pricing of the 9030.

Waiting for his response now.(he's supposed to call me back with his final quote for both.)
Do check out the NAD320BEE on sale in the forum if it suits to you.

I don't think it would suit my speakers....I guess!

Last edited:
The dealer is hasn't given me the price yet.

I'm open to used stuff if the seller can do an eBay listing and assume full responsibility including shipping.

Called our local Yamaha dealer and he says the pricing would be 31k for Yamaha and 25k for Onkyo.

I think its a fair price but what you guys think ?
Please reply.

Called up an another dealer just now, he's quoting 30K. :)

EDIT:
Gonna call the first dealer and see if I can reduce the price below 30K lol :D

Last edited:
Called up an another dealer just now, he's quoting 30K. :)

EDIT:
Gonna call the first dealer and see if I can reduce the price below 30K lol :D

---------------------------------------------------------
What's happened to your plan for auditioning Sonodyne's Integrated Amplifier DSA320 ?

If you have already auditioned, post your feedback, please.

---------------------------------------------------------
What's happened to your plan for auditioning Sonodyne's Integrated Amplifier DSA320 ?

If you have already auditioned, post your feedback, please.

Sorry, it didn't work out.
Ran out of time :eek:

why not try marantz pm 6004, the award winner?check the hifi mart ,it was there for 28k

It's supposed to be having a more easy going type of sound but I want something with more energy and drive.
Otherwise, I would have gobbled it up already, its such a steal!!
Also how it looks....just stunning!! ( Marantz 6004).

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back