Can we connect two amplifiers to increase the power output?

Venkyrenga

I am thinking of taking the speakers out from marantz pm7000n and connect it to 'power amp direct in' on pm8006 to increase the power output. And then take the speakers out from pm8006. Will that work?
Or is there any other way?

I am thinking of taking the speakers out from marantz pm7000n and connect it to 'power amp direct in' on pm8006 to increase the power output. And then take the speakers out from pm8006. Will that work?
No. Most likely you will get a distorted sound. Most consumer level amps are designed with input that doesn't exceed 2v RMS. Anything above that will result in clipping. You shouln't be connecting headphone out or speaker out of one amp to Analog inpurt of another AMP. Also there is Physics involved. The speaker out / headphone out are low impedance. The analog input are high impedance. You cannot transfer full energy from a high impedance to low impedance and vice versa.

Also the power output is totally dependent on the final amplication stage (which is mostly power transistors or mosfets) in solid state amps. The output is also dependendent on the power supply. If the power supply can supply 300 Watts you cannot exceed 300 Watts (asuming that your amp is 100% efficient).

Have a single amp with higher power output

In that case I can use the 7000n as a music streamer and use the recorder out to power amp in. Will that work?

Also can you guys suggest me some good amp upgrade over 7000n?
Thanks.

In that case I can use the 7000n as a music streamer and use the recorder out to power amp in. Will that work?
Done this way, volume control on the 7000n will not work and since 8006 is acting as the power amp it's volume control is bypassed so you will have a recipe for disaster if connected this way. Do NOT do this.
Also can you guys suggest me some good amp upgrade over 7000n?
Thanks.
Why do you want an upgrade? What do you feel is lacking?

Last edited:
Done this way, volume control on the 7000n will not work and since 8006 is acting as the power amp it's volume control is bypassed so you will have a recipe for disaster if connected this way. Do NOT do this.

Why do you want an upgrade? What do you feel is lacking?
I am thinking of buying Polk L100 or Kef ls50. It seems that 7000n isn't enough to drive them.

Thats a recipe for disaster. Do not even try it. What do you feel lacking with just using Marantz? You cannot connect 7000n to 8006 as 7000n does not have a pre amp out. Only a Pre Out can be connected to a Power/Main amp input.
LS50 users can give me some input here.
Do you already have these speakers? You are right Marantz cannot drive them to their potential. If you have not got them, then look for speakers that your amp can drive to their potential.

MaSh

Thats a recipe for disaster. Do not even try it. What do you feel lacking with just using Marantz? You cannot connect 7000n to 8006 as 7000n does not have a pre amp out. Only a Pre Out can be connected to a Power/Main amp input.

Do you already have these speakers? You are right Marantz cannot drive them to their potential. If you have not got them, then look for speakers that your amp can drive to their potential.

MaSh
No I don't already have them. I currently have Elac b6.2 hooked to 7000n. I want to upgrade to either ls50 or polk L100. Both are power hungry so I thought of buying pm8006 and connect it to 7000n but seems like it wouldn't work.

No I don't already have them. I currently have Elac b6.2 hooked to 7000n. I want to upgrade to either ls50 or polk L100. Both are power hungry so I thought of buying pm8006 and connect it to 7000n but seems like it wouldn't work.
Yeh you could look at speakers that match your amp better.

MaSh

I have done bridge amplifier connection on my Denon AVR with no issues. This will theoretically double the output power. Practically there will be some losses. Around 70.7% of increased watts can be expected. But not all amplifiers are capable of bridged configuration. You need to checkout for your amplifier. Also you will need amplifiers of the same type and model for bridging.

I have done bridge amplifier connection on my Denon AVR with no issues. This will theoretically double the output power. Practically there will be some losses. Around 70.7% of increased watts can be expected. But not all amplifiers are capable of bridged configuration. You need to checkout for your amplifier. Also you will need amplifiers of the same type and model for bridging.
How does it double the power?
What is the schematic diagram of your Denon bridge system?

How does it double the power?
What is the schematic diagram of your Denon bridge system?
If you have a stereo amplifier you can try this -

-Feed signal to left channel input
- also feed the same signal to right channel input.
- connect the +ve speaker output of left channel to negative speaker output of right channel by a 18awg wire.
- connect the speaker between -ve speaker output of left channel and +ve speaker output of right channel.

Test the above and report at your own risk.

PS: if you find output to be less, try reversing the wires in speaker terminals. As I have done this many years ago, don’t remember the exact wiring topology. I think I connected both the left snd right -ve speaker terminals together and connected the speakers between both +ve terminals.

Last edited:

- connect the +ve speaker output of left channel to negative speaker output of right channel by a 18awg wire.
- connect the speaker between -ve speaker output of left channel and +ve speaker output of right channel.

PS: if you find output to be less, try reversing the wires in speaker terminals. As I have done this many years ago, don’t remember the exact wiring topology. I think I connected both the left snd right -ve speaker terminals together and connected the speakers between both +ve terminals.
if I understood this correctly, you are combining the left and right output channels into a single one and feeding the combined power into single speaker - which means superimposition and thus raising the signal by 3 dB (= double the power).
in which case wouldn't it be safer to have the +ve from left and right combine at the single speaker's +ve terminal and similarly -ve from left and right combine at the single speaker's -ve terminal?

But then this is same as a regular stereo system, what is the different?

if I understood this correctly, you are combining the left and right output channels into a single one and feeding the combined power into single speaker - which means superimposition and thus raising the signal by 3 dB (= double the power).
in which case wouldn't it be safer to have the +ve from left and right combine at the single speaker's +ve terminal and similarly -ve from left and right combine at the single speaker's -ve terminal?

But then this is same as a regular stereo system, what is the different?
You can try out and report. That would not mean bridging though.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS. IT WILL BLOW YOUR AMPLIFIER :eek:

Never Do this unless your amplifier has an output transformer (Most Valve amplifiers have output transformers....

Most Solid State amplifiers (like your Marantz) do not have output transformers.... their speaker -ve is Usually Ground, so connecting the left channel's +ve out to the Right channel's Ground (-ve) will blow the Left channel !

This is NOT How an amplifier is Bridged!

Hope my post is not too late 😓

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back