Candid interview with Amir from Audiosciencereview

So, the audio utopia we are all chasing can be described as:
It measures well, is praised in reviews, and sounds terrific to me
This very rarely happens. And if it does there will always be those that disagree (it’s their right)
If it measures well and you see the measurements, if enough people praise it, if enough reviewers say that it is the bee's knees, your brain automatically will say that it is good and sounds terrific even though it may sound like a turd dropping from the rear of the elephant in the 3 blind men fable. :p

Last edited:
If it measures well and you see the measurements, if enough people praise it, if enough reviewers say that it is the bee's knees, your brain automatically will say that it is good and sounds terrific even though it may sound like a turd dropping from the elephant in the 3 blind men fable. :p

Nail on the head, kind sir.

This is why Harman is popular among some circles.

If it measures well and you see the measurements, if enough people praise it, if enough reviewers say that it is the bee's knees, your brain automatically will say that it is good and sounds terrific even though it may sound like a turd dropping from the rear of the elephant in the 3 blind men fable. :p
And when the blind men hear it drop one of them will say: “did you hear that? It’s rolled off at the top and there is a mid bass dip”
The second: “I don’t agree, let me measure it”
The third: “I am going to google it”
….
Wait: “wasn’t there a fourth? He must be deaf.

We probably need to question our scientific dogmas and treat the world around us as mere mechanistic objects.

We probably need to question our scientific dogmas and treat the world around us as mere mechanistic objects.
Correction:

We probably need to question our scientific dogmas and treat the world around us as more than mere mechanistic objects.

Ah, Rupert Sheldrake! One of my favorites! Do you know that his concept of morphic resonance has been extended to audio too and has its own small cult? To some extent me included. Anything bizarre and out of the world as some see it, I'm in. :)

The trend on this forum on many new threads these days reminds me the plot and characters of ek ruka hua faisla or 12 angry men.

Hi Guys,

Stumbled upon this interview video of Amir from Audiosciencereview on YouTube. It's quite informative and enjoyable.

Thank you for posting this. I'm from the camp that totally believes in being 100% objective. I can totally feel what Amir is saying that the brain is so good at deceiving you that you can feel a costly wine tastes better, a costly cable sounds better and Ripley's 'believe it or not', the last 1 meter of power cord makes more difference than kilometres of shitty noisy cable coming into your house.electrons obeying arrows marked on interconnects (you guessed it - these unidirectional interconnects directing electrons to flow in a particular direction like a traffic policeman).

Recently I replaced my Rs 60 K tube amp with a sub 10k amp from Allo class D amp trouncing class A warm sound of the tube amp. I don't doubt people who hear a difference with cables and such exotic stuff. I have the same problem when it comes to taste of food depending on the geography from where it originates. But, honestly, there is too much of snake oil in the audio industry now which I think wasn't present in before 80s. Being 100% objective is ideal and real, but being subjective a little is being human.

Thank you for posting this. I'm from the camp that totally believes in being 100% objective. I can totally feel what Amir is saying that the brain is so good at deceiving you that you can feel a costly wine tastes better, a costly cable sounds better and Ripley's 'believe it or not', the last 1 meter of power cord makes more difference than kilometres of shitty noisy cable coming into your house.electrons obeying arrows marked on interconnects (you guessed it - these unidirectional interconnects directing electrons to flow in a particular direction like a traffic policeman).

Recently I replaced my Rs 60 K tube amp with a sub 10k amp from Allo class D amp trouncing class A warm sound of the tube amp. I don't doubt people who hear a difference with cables and such exotic stuff. I have the same problem when it comes to taste of food depending on the geography from where it originates. But, honestly, there is too much of snake oil in the audio industry now which I think wasn't present in before 80s. Being 100% objective is ideal and real, but being subjective a little is being human.

Soon objectivists may decide to venture into cooking and tell us what food we should eat and not, what flavor we should like and not, they may also tell us what the original recipe is and how food that does not conform should be thrown out. Before you know it we will be following everything objectivists tell us to do, what's the word for that? It slips my mind :)

Soon objectivists may decide to venture into cooking and tell us what food we should eat and not, what flavor we should like and not, they may also tell us what the original recipe is and how food that does not conform should be thrown out. Before you know it we will be following everything objectivists tell us to do, what's the word for that? It slips my mind :)
Whoah. What a spin!!!. People who are objective will never force an ideology. They will die by the altar for being objective just like Socrates, Copernicus, Galileo and many others for being objective that we are not the centre of the universe. Objective people just present facts. An objective person relies only on hard data. The job of forcing food, what food is cooked in the kitchen, culture, religion, ideology what speaker to buy has always belonged to the subjectivists. The last I know, this world still belongs to the subjectivists but yet are so prone to flare up on the slightest pin prick. Chill. Have a beer or two. That post by Amir has really riled people up.

Whoah. What a spin!!!. People who are objective will never force an ideology. They will die by the altar for being objective just like Socrates, Copernicus, Galileo and many others for being objective that we are not the centre of the universe. Objective people just present facts. An objective person relies only on hard data. The job of forcing food, what food is cooked in the kitchen, culture, religion, ideology what speaker to buy has always belonged to the subjectivists. The last I know, this world still belongs to the subjectivists but yet are so prone to flare up on the slightest pin prick. Chill. Have a beer or two. That post by Amir has really riled people up.

Funny, I find objectivists to be the most forceful and vocal of all. I wonder if Kim Jong Un is an objectivist. Simply a curiosity mind you. Perhaps I need to ask Amir if the beer in my fridge is accurate enough to drink. All IMHO of course, please feel free to be the next Socrates. I am amazed that a philosopher is now an objectivist. You learn something new everyday, you really do! Peace :)

Let me state a simple example. Science will say that a uncompressed flac file is exactly same as its original wav file. Mr Amir also believes flac files and wav files sound same and is ready to even bet. Yet lots of people find that wav files sound better than flacs on a good system. So are all these people being deceived by brain.

Let me state a simple example. Science will say that a uncompressed flac file is exactly same as its original wav file. Mr Amir also believes flac files and wav files sound same and is ready to even bet. Yet lots of people find that wav files sound better than flacs on a good system. So are all these people being deceived by brain.
Honestly, I can't find a difference. Best is to do a double blind test. I have done the same with cables, my various dacs, speakers and amplifiers. Differentiating an amp and speaker is no brainer. No matter how many layers of cloth you put over your eyes, you will always be able to make out the difference between different speaker and amps. Even the position of the speaker makes a difference. But very difficult to make to make the diff between flac, wav, cables, power cords. None of the 3 members of my family can distinguish them. in addition to that, to my parents, everything sounds the same.

Funny, I find objectivists to be the most forceful and vocal of all. I wonder if Kim Jong Un is an objectivist. Simply a curiosity mind you. Perhaps I need to ask Amir if the beer in my fridge is accurate enough to drink. All IMHO of course, please feel free to be the next Socrates. I am amazed that a philosopher is now an objectivist. You learn something new everyday, you really do! Peace :)
Socrates is the first philosopher to have dealt with the moral philosophy of ethics. His most famous student was Plato. Plato's dialogues are among the most comprehensive accounts of Socrates to survive from antiquity, from which Socrates has become renowned for his contributions to the fields of rationalism and ethics. Subjectivists suffer from Socratic ignorance. Now how do you teach subjectivists to be rational? Obviously they will not tolerate Socrates because he is one of the earliest known philosopher to tell his students to be rational and not blindly believe in falsity. He had to be killed by the subjectivists for corrupting the minds of the young in becoming objectivists.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back