Capacitors

Rajiv

Hi,

I am helping a friend recap a vintage Mcintosh Solid State amp.I need two 39,000 mfd 40 volt capacitors.

Looking for makes like BHC Aerovox,Nichicon,Nippon Chemicon,etc.

Are there any good sources in India for these high value capacitors ,or is online purchase from shops abroad the only solution.

Any good Indian makes for high value capacitors?

I saw some "imported" capacitors in these values in the local electronics market(Ritchie St.) but am doubtful of their authenticity .

Regards
Rajiv

That's a difficult value to find - the largest values in reliable makes that I have seen are 18,000 or 22,000uF/50V, Nippon Chemicon or Panasonic. You can use two of those if you have space in the cabinet, otherwise you're probably out of luck.

40000 mfd 50v capacitors are available in Panasonic and Chemicon make in ritchie street, try majestic in athipattan street which is adjacent to ritchie street or Ask Omega in ritchie street..

Last edited:
Hi,

I am helping a friend recap a vintage Mcintosh Solid State amp.I need two 39,000 mfd 40 volt capacitors.

Looking for makes like BHC Aerovox,Nichicon,Nippon Chemicon,etc.

Are there any good sources in India for these high value capacitors ,or is online purchase from shops abroad the only solution.

Any good Indian makes for high value capacitors?

I saw some "imported" capacitors in these values in the local electronics market(Ritchie St.) but am doubtful of their authenticity .

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

Normally 15000, 18000 and 33000 uF capacitors are available in 50v/63V ranges. They are from Nippon, Rubycon, Panasonic and ofcourse Elna if you are lucky. I know of some reliable vendors on ebay. Let me know if you need the names.

Cheers.

@Kanwar
Have you tried those caps? Could you please let me know your experience using those caps ?

i have seen very large screw type alcon caps used in online ups's in several companies(older technology ones with scr rectifier and large capacitor banks), nowadays all gone h.f way doesnot really need those banks . Not sure they got the small low voltage stuff we use for audio linear supplies. their website is not opening properly in my laptop

edit: yes now i saw their catalog, they got 50V stuff

Last edited:
I had a discussion with FM Kanwar regarding these capacitors. This is what he is telling about those caps form his long experience with that.

"Well they are one of the finest a man can get when it comes to transparent sonic signature which is neutral. I have been using them from past 10 years. Alcons have german dielectric which makes it very smooth in highs and clear vocals with ample reserve for bass."

If you still havent found the capacitors the exact value you seek is available at tedss. I can send you the website address if you say.

Meanwhile i need a replacement capacitor for the power supply stage of my yamaha M85 power amp which blasted. Specs are: nichicon CE negative black 33000mf, 56wv, height 70mm, diameter 62.5mm, temperature 85 degrees, terminal type 2 pin pcb mounted pin spacing 25 mm ( dont know mounting nomenclature... Perhaps it is known as ' snap in'). I cant find this capacitor and dont know what variations in mf & wv values are acceptable. Mounting terminals, height & diameter are not variable since it is a tight fit in the chasis with 3 similar sized caps. Desparately need help from anyone in the know.!!

I cant find this capacitor and dont know what variations in mf & wv values are acceptable.

You can replace with any other capacitor if it :

1. Has the same or ANY higher Working Voltage.

2. Physically fits in the available space

3. Has a capacitance value Similar to the original. The Capacitance value is NOT CRITICAL as long as its similar. Most Electrolytic Caps ( Used in Power Supplies) have a tolerance of -20% to +50%.

Thanks guys. Quick question: If unable to procure requisite nichicon negative black capacitor 33000mf, 56 wv, can i combine in parallel 3 caps of 11000mf, 63 wv &place elsewhere within amp? Also the one which burst is part of a pair & total are 4, other pair is 47000mf, 45 wv all four are mounted in a sub frame at power input suplly stage with similar dimensions 62.t dia, 70mm height. Do i need to change all four (3 are ok) or the pair if resort is had to combination in parallel. Also where can i get them?

Yes, you can Certainly replace 1 Cap with 3 Paralleled Caps ( to connect Caps in Parallel, connect all the 3 Positive Wires together electrically and take it to the original Positive Point. Also connect all the 3 Negative Wires together electrically and take it to the original Negative Point.)

3 Caps in parallel are actually BETTER than a single cap of the same value ( lower ESR... but that is another story... if interested ask ;) )

Try to keep the Cap wires short. You mention about locating the Caps elsewhere.... Maybe you can install 2 of the new caps on the upper part of the PCB and 1 new cap attached to the underside of the PCB ? Shorter wires will give better performance, thats all.

If the other caps are OK, No Need To Change them. ( If it ain't broken, don't fix it :cool: ). If a cap is about to fail (explode) in the near future it will begin to bulge.

All the Best !

I'm recapping an old technics tape deck for the heck of it. Replacing the big electrolytics has cleaned up the hum from the output, but the smaller ones in the signal path are still there.
Not really looking for extraordinary fidelity. This is a basic tape deck, though it lacks a bit in the low end as compared to my other decks, thought its coupling capacitors are dying.

I'd used keltron caps for the decoupling/filter caps, but not sure if they are good enough for the signal path. I need all sorts - from 1u (think I'll put film caps there) to a sprinkling of 10uF, 4.7 uF and so on.

The original board has all elna caps. Would whats available locally be enough?

Hello greenhorn,

For an old tape deck, just use whatever caps are easily available. Keltron and others will do Fine.

IMO, you should not go overboard on Capacitor costs by using exortic caps in this project.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back