Car Audio for Hyundai Xcent

Got everything installed today. The initial impression is it sounds amazing, specially the bass. I mean it's tight, and massive. Just the way I like it. Have to check the difference in sound quality with different input sources. Right now, I'm happy with features of the HU, but have to test the difference between AUX and CD etc.
Will post pictures of the installation very soon. And will post a detailed review after a few listens.

Hey,

Firstly, congrats on your purchase. To be honest, the Pioneer HU would have been better even though it had only 2 pre-outs (if you are not going to invest in a Sub in the future). But given the constraints, the Sony would have to do.

As already mentioned, the HU makes a huge difference even though they might fall in the same price range. I remember, when I had my earlier car, it was fitted with a Sony HU and JBL speakers. I had gone to a reputed installer audio installer (EVO) in Bangalore. The owner (satya) told me that by just changing the HU, my current system would sound way better. So I did just that. Got a kenwood HU and no doubt the system sounded way better.

As mentioned in the above post, wiring also makes a major difference. Post some pics after the install is done. Enjoy :)

Were using Amps, when you changed the HU, or running directly from it?
I bought the sony in spite of its bad reputation, because it was feature rich, and economical. The biggest criticism for Sony HU are that the CD goes bad pretty soon. I dont use CDs. I'll be mostly using AUX/USB or Bluetooth. The sony has great compatibility with Android/iOS etc, and taking calls etc are cool features.
Since I'm using an AMP, I wouldn't be concerned of it's power output.
That leaves the DAC. The only thing that's my concern. And I haven't really listened enough to find the difference yet. So, let's see. But so far so good.

I did some more listening yesterday. CDs sound amazing, AUX from iPad sounds pretty good too. There is a slight drop in quality while streaming from Bluetooth. Nothing major, but definitely a difference. But bluetooth streaming is convenient, and I'll using this a lot in the future too.
I felt the rear ovals were over powering the front components, so I did some tinkering in the amp gains, which made a slight difference. To my horror, there was a hissing sound from one of the front tweeters, which disappeared once I moved the Amp back to it's original position.
Most songs sound great. But at a lower volume, in some songs, it feels I only hear the sound from the back, and only at certain parts of the song, I can hear the fronts and the tweeters. I want this to be better balanced. Am I doing something wrong? Both front and back are set to "All Pass" in the Amp. I haven't messed with the frequency.

The tweeters are placed in front, on the A-column. Midwoofers in the door.

I am assuming you have already adjusted with the faders and the tone balance ?

Is it possible in the amp to set gains for the front channels and rear channels seperately. If you can just decrease the gains that are going to the rear channels

Also is there any adjustments done for the crossovers from the amp Or is it done from the HU only ?

I am assuming you have already adjusted with the faders and the tone balance ?

Is it possible in the amp to set gains for the front channels and rear channels seperately. If you can just decrease the gains that are going to the rear channels

Also is there any adjustments done for the crossovers from the amp Or is it done from the HU only ?

Yes, I've tried changing front and rear gains separately, and it did sound a lot better.
I believe the installer didnt touch the crossover settings. Ill have to try some of the HU options as well, haven't tried those.

But make sure to take a note on the default settings ( just write it in a piece of paper ) before you making changes, Even after changing if you don't like something, you can always go back rather than digging around to set it to the old settings.

You know human mind is like a monkey, tend to do something and endup in something and want to go back to what it used to , but no clue :eek: -Atleast i have observed myself like a monkey when it comes to ICE. :D

But make sure to take a note on the default settings ( just write it in a piece of paper ) before you making changes, Even after changing if you don't like something, you can always go back rather than digging around to set it to the old settings.

You know human mind is like a monkey, tend to do something and endup in something and want to go back to what it used to , but no clue :eek: -Atleast i have observed myself like a monkey when it comes to ICE. :D

ya, ive clicked pics of default settings

Thank you guys for your support. I was finally able to tune everything. I'm more or less satisfied with the output now. The Fader did wonders, I set it to +5 front. The vocals are crisp, and the bass was always tight. The sound stage has improved. I've all other parameters to 'Off' on my HU, except for the EQ. The EQ seems to give a crisper sound, which I enjoy. The amp was also set to bass boost of +6db, which I turned off, for rear, and sounds lot more natural now.
I'm feeling satisfied now, but there is always that urge to tinker with the settings, as I listen more. And this is precisely why I got a dedicated system, because I love playing with settings and stuff.

Enjoy man..And do play with the crossovers too.. thats where the holy grail starts..hehe

Do you mean the crossover tonal values. My speakers have -3, 0, +3 db as options.
Or do you mean the High pass/ Low Pass settings on the amp? I have set them to 'All Pass', since I'm not using subs.

am talking about the crossover in the HU, not in amp. There you can set at what freq and above the front comps can play.
Usually we put a 80hz for the low, so that sound doesnt distort, if we dont have a sub.

Rahul did you use the snapdeal install service ? Was it good ?
No, I tried calling several times, didn't work. Then I emailed then and got a response. They finally said, it would take them at least a week before they send someone. So I went ahead to a local installer and got it done.
I didn't wait, because in case there was a problem with any of the equipments, I could still use the 7-day return thing.
Fortunately, the products were all genuine. They worked fine.
The installer was an expert, and I had to see through the whole work. It worked out fine in the end, and I did the tuning myself in the end. There was a problem in the front left speaker wiring. I was losing audio sometimes when I hit a bump (not frequent) or if there was a jerk. Then I just tightened the wires on the Amp again. The problem seems to be have been solved. Hopefully it does not re-occur. I will have to get it checked by the installer once again, if it does.
As far as the sound is concerned, it has exceeded my expectations. :lol:

No, I tried calling several times, didn't work. Then I emailed then and got a response. They finally said, it would take them at least a week before they send someone. So I went ahead to a local installer and got it done.
I didn't wait, because in case there was a problem with any of the equipments, I could still use the 7-day return thing.
Fortunately, the products were all genuine. They worked fine.
The installer was an expert, and I had to see through the whole work. It worked out fine in the end, and I did the tuning myself in the end. There was a problem in the front left speaker wiring. I was losing audio sometimes when I hit a bump (not frequent) or if there was a jerk. Then I just tightened the wires on the Amp again. The problem seems to be have been solved. Hopefully it does not re-occur. I will have to get it checked by the installer once again, if it does.
As far as the sound is concerned, it has exceeded my expectations. :lol:
Thats cool, good to hear that you liked it .. hope you are enjoying it..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back