CAT6 Cable Cabling available in India? Their quality and options besides D link?

crashnburn

CAT6 Cable Cabling available in India? Their quality and options besides D link?

I see the only thing available everywhere around is D Link. Based on my US background and the stuff mentioned on forums there they recommend some other names that are rare to find around here.

Any other options in India and how are D-Link cables actually in terms of quality CAT 6 specs?

This is an excellent article about installing Cat5e, vs Cat 6 or Cat6a. Here's a excerpt, but the article gets into much more detail as to why:

"...people who are paying extra for Cat 6 and 6a assemblies, and who think that they are paying that little extra for the sake of "future proofing," not only are not getting the future-proofing they're paying for but are in many cases getting cables so bad that they may be choking the customer's existing Cat 5e network."

Why Your Cat6/5e Network Cable is Slowing You Down: Interview with Blue Jeans Cable | Audioholics

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/why-your-network-cable-is-slowing-you-down.34071/

For bulk cable, Commscope, Mohawk, Belden. Berk-Tek is ok too. For patch cords, Leviton, Belden, Panduit, Hubbell are all good. I especially like how Belden terminates their RJ45s with clear flex-boots with extra soft guards (alas... only geek points) :oops: There's also Blue Jeans Cable for one-off needs, but IMHO you're better off buying commercial patch cables by the box in bulk.

But yes, like you said, as long as the cable connects up and works to baseline expectations (ie. "it just works"), in most SOHO and even many business cases that's simply good enough. And there's nothing wrong with that. :)

EDIT: The basic benefits of commercial-grade patch is that is comes pre-tested and 100% verified to meet and/or exceed spec (thus why they're individually bagged and sealed), and most typically ISO spec at that, which is the most stringent. I'd say there's also a higher level of assurance you're getting reputable-quality copper conductor with good or better material build. Not so much the case with a good portion of mass-market cheap stuff. YMMV there of course, and it seems Monoprice is a pleasing exception to the rule.

The only cable brand prevailing around here is D-Link. How are their cables?

Hi
You want patch cable or bulk roll ?

If bulk role you can try finolex. They should be making quality stuff

I am using some unbranded cat5 cable from router to last corner of house to have wired connection
Wire is routes from outside and is in no pipe.
It's been 5 years since it's installed and it has given.l no issues even with the heavy rains

Point is any decently made cable should suffice

Belden Cat6 Cables are available.

Miyakawa Drives & Controls Pvt. Ltd.
A-506, Hermes Atrium, Sector 11,
CBD Belapur- 400 614. Navi Mumbai.
+91- 22 27566991/92/93

Im using Schneider Cat7 cable for the cable runs in my house. I was looking for cat6a cables and contacted Schneider distributor in Pune. They said they had a stock of Cat7 cables and Cat6a would take a while to procure.
I went ahead with the Cat7 even though it wasnt listed on the Schneider website. Can confirm that the labelling points to a genuine schneider product - Cat7 SFTP. Paid a total of 19K for a bulk roll of SFTP cat7 cable. Only problem is that the cable is fatter than the regular cables and they do not have rj45 jacks/ plugs for Cat7. Finally sourced Cat7 accessories from Aliexpress - brand Aucas. Quality is rather good for a chinese product. Picked up the rj45 keystone jacks, plugs, wall plate, boots, punchdown tool and cat7 crimper. All delivered without issue and working great.

How are their qualities compared to D link?
Hi
You want patch cable or bulk roll ?

If bulk role you can try finolex. They should be making quality stuff

I am using some unbranded cat5 cable from router to last corner of house to have wired connection
Wire is routes from outside and is in no pipe.
It's been 5 years since it's installed and it has given.l no issues even with the heavy rains

Point is any decently made cable should suffice
Bulk roll. I got CAT6 internals done at the family home more than a decade back (I doubt if even ambani had so much CAT6 in his home at the time).

Belden Cat6 Cables are available.

Miyakawa Drives & Controls Pvt. Ltd.
A-506, Hermes Atrium, Sector 11,
CBD Belapur- 400 614. Navi Mumbai.
+91- 22 27566991/92/93
Thanks. What kind of pricing are they compared to D Link?

Thanks. Did find these on Amazon. Wondering how they compare to D Link?

Im using Schneider Cat7 cable for the cable runs in my house. I was looking for cat6a cables and contacted Schneider distributor in Pune. They said they had a stock of Cat7 cables and Cat6a would take a while to procure.
I went ahead with the Cat7 even though it wasnt listed on the Schneider website. Can confirm that the labelling points to a genuine schneider product - Cat7 SFTP. Paid a total of 19K for a bulk roll of SFTP cat7 cable. Only problem is that the cable is fatter than the regular cables and they do not have rj45 jacks/ plugs for Cat7. Finally sourced Cat7 accessories from Aliexpress - brand Aucas. Quality is rather good for a chinese product. Picked up the rj45 keystone jacks, plugs, wall plate, boots, punchdown tool and cat7 crimper. All delivered without issue and working great.

Thanks for the detailed response. Just to know for any upcoming projects.. Could you share how much was your CAT 7 bulk roll for (305 m???) and how much more pricing was it compared to CAT 6a?

My research showed CAT6 cabling range from 4800 to 5/6000 for D link, Finloex Schneider, etc.

Yeah, I did the technical research on CAT 5e, 6, 6a and 7 and the funky tiny variations in specs and the requirements for proper termination etc. And how and what can make 1G GigE go to 10G on CAT cables.

And in addition shielded cables and termination requirements etc. And interference and grounding and what not.. (ha ha! former geek).

I think I barely have the ability to saturate my GigE network right now, even with a NAS and so on. I am aware that I can push my internal CAT6 GigE to 10G with the right termination etc. and switch (if need be in the future).

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response. Just to know for any upcoming projects.. Could you share how much was your CAT 7 bulk roll for (305 m???) and how much more pricing was it compared to CAT 6a?

My research showed CAT6 cabling range from 4800 to 5/6000 for D link, Finloex Schneider, etc.

Yeah, I did the technical research on CAT 5e, 6, 6a and 7 and the funky tiny variations in specs and the requirements for proper termination etc. And how and what can make 1G GigE go to 10G on CAT cables.

And in addition shielded cables and termination requirements etc. And interference and grounding and what not.. (ha ha! former geek).

I think I barely have the ability to saturate my GigE network right now, even with a NAS and so on. I am aware that I can push my internal CAT6 GigE to 10G with the right termination etc. and switch (if need be in the future).

You are welcome. And why former geek.... Ur post reinforces geekiness:eek:hyeah:, once a geek always a geek;)
I do agree that you will be able to get a 10G rig with cat 6 provided distance limitations of the run are not exceeded. That is where cat6a and cat 7 improve upon cat6. At the end of the day they are all copper conductors in all the cables, some have a few more twists probably slightly better quality copper and a few other gimmicks thrown in and the claim of speeds triple. With Cat7 claims of speeds are a lil over the top and ideally next stop should be fiber. But I believe a cat7a is available overseas though not readily available as it is still not recognized/certified by whosoever is doing that.
Anyways the speed effectively is limited by the weakest link in the chain and more often than not, they end up being the connectors. Cat7 recommends use of gg jacks to reach the next level of speeds, and while those connectors are proprietary and prohibitively expensive, some smart Chinese vendor has released all the rj connectors for Cat7.
Anyways back to the topic... I paid 19000 for a 305m roll of cat7, cat6a I don't have the pricing as Schneider was the only vendor who had cat6a (unavailable at the time of my purchase though) , and since I was getting cat7 didn't check on pricing. Primarily was looking at cat6a stp or at least ftp as at some point I intend to serve video over cat7. Since Cat7 by default comes in Sftp, went ahead with it. It also ensures that I'm future proofed to an extent. Besides once these are laid throughout the house I'm not planning to rip open the ceiling to redo the wiring again, my wife would induce a heart attack in me wirelessly:lol:

You are welcome. And why former geek.... Ur post reinforces geekiness:eek:hyeah:, once a geek always a geek;)
I do agree that you will be able to get a 10G rig with cat 6 provided distance limitations of the run are not exceeded. That is where cat6a and cat 7 improve upon cat6. At the end of the day they are all copper conductors in all the cables, some have a few more twists probably slightly better quality copper and a few other gimmicks thrown in and the claim of speeds triple. With Cat7 claims of speeds are a lil over the top and ideally next stop should be fiber. But I believe a cat7a is available overseas though not readily available as it is still not recognized/certified by whosoever is doing that.
Anyways the speed effectively is limited by the weakest link in the chain and more often than not, they end up being the connectors. Cat7 recommends use of gg jacks to reach the next level of speeds, and while those connectors are proprietary and prohibitively expensive, some smart Chinese vendor has released all the rj connectors for Cat7.
Anyways back to the topic... I paid 19000 for a 305m roll of cat7, cat6a I don't have the pricing as Schneider was the only vendor who had cat6a (unavailable at the time of my purchase though) , and since I was getting cat7 didn't check on pricing. Primarily was looking at cat6a stp or at least ftp as at some point I intend to serve video over cat7. Since Cat7 by default comes in Sftp, went ahead with it. It also ensures that I'm future proofed to an extent. Besides once these are laid throughout the house I'm not planning to rip open the ceiling to redo the wiring again, my wife would induce a heart attack in me wirelessly:lol:

Did you ever get your Termination & Wiring CAT 7 verified after installation? i.e. using one of the fancy analyzers (Not the 8 pair tester)

Ha ha! My dad had a fit when I insisted on getting CAT6 internals done (was working & living mostly in the US back then but knew that Hardline is always better than Wireless), almost a decade (or more) back.

I know that internal wiring (especially in India, is a one time thing). But, I think we ought to use wider/ larger ducts/ ducting to insert stuff if needed (I recently wanted to put some cables from external to central internal point (where my Switch/ NAS - 4 TB now.. sit) and realized that due to corners/ turns it might be not easy.

Was talking to my cousin who works on the Jio back bone and apparently FTTH drop line fiber is now 12 Rs/m - Thats cheaper than CAT6 (20/m) I recently got from a local store - Crazy.

What's preventing fiber everywhere is the cost of the splicing/ termination equipment and skilled people for it as Ethernet cables any wireman can do.

Even for now, I dont have enough of Server/ Client to saturate the 1G Cat6.. so will stay with that.

The next 5 years will be interesting to see if Fiber dropline or CAT 7 start become more commonplace.

PS: Let's keep in touch and if you do visit B-city lets connect :)
PPS: Any thoughts/ suggestions on this one?
http://www.hifivision.com/television/66549-40-43-tv-models-india-hdmi-2-0-4k-60hz.html

Side Note: Are there any other people on here who have a Networked/ NASed their place?

Last edited:
I always use AMP or Krone . Out of the 2 AMP is easily avaliable . Most of the cat 6 cables which are good are stiff , meaning the wires are more solid with thicker diameter copper wire inside them .

The cheaper ones always use alloys for the purpose of costing , but the point is unless one is using a server and server grade network adapters , for the normal household wiring a Dlink is more than enough . The Dlink one is avaliable in 100 Mts also which makes it more useful since households may not require 305 mts . The transfer rate of most desktop CPU , NAS have adapters which show as 1 Gig when connected but at the max one can expect 100 Mb/sec .

The transfer rates are slow because the NIC adapters do not use a dedicated processor , but use CPU cycles to process . It is the same like ac97 based sound card vs a creative or asus sound card . So no point going in for fancy cat 7 cables . For connector terminations I again tend to use AMP or Krone but I also use HCL at times .

On a similar note the 1G switches avaliable cannot switch 1G on all ports . While the connection is 1G the aggregate bandwith of say an 8 port switch may be around 2 G for all ports combined . If a true 1G bandwith switch all ports is needed then only a layer 2 or layer 3 switch can do it . Those switches are not needed for running a household network .

Last edited:
Did you ever get your Termination & Wiring CAT 7 verified after installation? i.e. using one of the fancy analyzers (Not the 8 pair tester)
Not yet. I have laid out 2 runs to each location so as to have a backup system in the event one cable fails for any reason. Will have the entire setup completed only in jun/Jul. Will let you know how it pans out

I know that internal wiring (especially in India, is a one time thing). But, I think we ought to use wider/ larger ducts/ ducting to insert stuff if needed (I recently wanted to put some cables from external to central internal point (where my Switch/ NAS - 4 TB now.. sit) and realized that due to corners/ turns it might be not easy.
For corners in used bends instead of elbows as it is easier to pull or move the wires later if required

Was talking to my cousin who works on the Jio back bone and apparently FTTH drop line fiber is now 12 Rs/m - Thats cheaper than CAT6 (20/m) I recently got from a local store - Crazy.

What's preventing fiber everywhere is the cost of the splicing/ termination equipment and skilled people for it as Ethernet cables any wireman can do.
That is ridiculously affordable. I haven't even delved into fiber honestly.

Even for now, I dont have enough of Server/ Client to saturate the 1G Cat6.. so will stay with that.

The next 5 years will be interesting to see if Fiber dropline or CAT 7 start become more commonplace.
Lol, you would be maxing that out before u know it n then u would upgrade to 10G and soon thereafter thinking, if only I had set up for 40G:eek:hyeah:

PS: Let's keep in touch and if you do visit B-city lets connect :)
Definitely. I do make a trip to Bombay once in a while. Will ping.

Sorry mate, TVs are not my Forte, I still have to start my research on them before picking one up later this year.

Side Note: Are there any other people on here who have a Networked/ NASed their place?
I know Sam9s has NASed his place. He is the NAS guru;).

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back