Catridge upgrade suggestion for Technics SL1700 MK II

Check your record collection. If it comprises old stuff, go for the M44-7. If it comprises new and pristine stuff, go with the Denon. When buying a cart, always run a check on the price of replacement stylus as well :) That is the hidden cost element.

Dear Reuben,

The M 44-7 with a OEM Technics headshell was called Shure M 44-7H. The suffix "H" probably meant the headshell. I got that from JR store in lower Manhattan.

Regards,
Sourav

Yes, you are right, the one with the Technics headshell is packaged as M44-7-H. I got mine from Amazon, delivered with free shipping to my home in Irwine, at the time. In those days, Amazon used to vary the price of most of their products on a daily basis. I watched the site for a week and noted the trend in pricing, then locked on to the purchase, the following week :)

The flow will be like

(a) Technics table +Denon DL-103 > MC phono pre-amp>Step-up transformer>Amp.

(b) Technics table +Denon DL-110 > MC phono pre-amp>Amp.

(c) Technics table +Shure M 44-7 > MM phono pre-amp>Amp.

You may kick start with Shure M 44-7 and then upgrade slowly.

My 2 cents,
Sourav

By Amp you mean integrated amp or power amp? Can I connect the output of an MC / MM / Step up transformer to a pre amp / integrated amp input?

Check your record collection. If it comprises old stuff, go for the M44-7. If it comprises new and pristine stuff, go with the Denon. When buying a cart, always run a check on the price of replacement stylus as well :) That is the hidden cost element.

Plan is to have 2 TT one for new / good condition and second one for the acceptable condition records. I have 2 TT SL1700 MK II and SL2000. Hence planning to get M44-7 and DL 103.

There are multiple listing in ebay for DL 103 and am not able to decide which one. Since some of you have already got it request you to please post the best possible cost and reliable listing.

I rate the Technics (NP) 270C - ii just under my Ortofon 2M Blue within my small but tidy little cart collection. I've found it to be a well detailed and defined cart while still retaining the warmth and wool of 70s lofi hifi. Of course, it all depends on what you match it with. It's currently sitting proudly on my 70s Sansui set up.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back