CD Player for Plinius Amp

Suu

Hi Friends, Normally which brand of CD player gells well with Plinius Amps? My friend has Plini integrated amp (not sure whether 9100 or 9200) & looking for a matching CD player. He listens to all kinds of music. Player should be like very natural sounding, true to tones, lively etc. Suggestions found on net were Plinius CDP, Accuphase, Ayre & Arcam.

Based on your 1st hand experience, I request for suggestions.

Tnks

I once heard the Plinus 9200/CD101 combo playing on a pair of ATC 40. The sound was as beautiful as the built!. Dint investigate more at that time due to the cost factor. So in your friends case, the very obvious thing to do is to carry his amp around and have as many auditions as possible with the shortlisted CDPs of his choice. I would probably stick with the CD101 though.:)

Hi,
I know of somebody using a Plinius integrated with a Marantz 15S1 (or was it 11S1) CDP with Dynaudio Contour (S3.4) floorstanders.

Whats the Price range he is looking at ?

the CDP-Amp 'Synergy" come much much below amp-speaker and speaker room. so any good CDP should be good.

in the choice i would rate Accuphase and Ayre much higher in terms of sophistication of sound (but it comes at a price).

the CDP-Amp 'Synergy" come much much below amp-speaker and speaker room. so any good CDP should be good.

I fully agree with you on this, arj. Any good CDP would do. Here the more important question is the price range and the increment of improvement with price that the listener is willing to accept.

Hi Friends, Normally which brand of CD player gells well with Plinius Amps? My friend has Plini integrated amp (not sure whether 9100 or 9200) & looking for a matching CD player. He listens to all kinds of music. Player should be like very natural sounding, true to tones, lively etc. Suggestions found on net were Plinius CDP, Accuphase, Ayre & Arcam.

Tnks

Buy whatever cdp one likes and one that fits the budget. The cheapest Accuphase is 3.5L while the top of the line arcam is 95K so its quite a spread. If i was willing for that outlay i would buy the accuphase DP400 as its a smoother performer. The Arcam is as good as it gets at the price point but can sometimes be a little heavy handed even when the music does not demand it, otherwise a superb cdp with sacd playback.
In fact i did not like the plinius cdp a great deal and have not heard any of the Ayre so cant comment.
Try the Marantz SA 11S2 too. It may work very well and is available in grey about 1.1/ 1.25L
Rgds

The Arcam cd-17 FMJ around 50k should work well with the combo.
I know someone who had an Arcam FMJ player with a Plinius amplifier before he moved onto separate DAC/Transport. He was quite happy with the Unit. I have heard it couple of times. It sounded good.

Buy whatever cdp one likes and one that fits the budget. The cheapest Accuphase is 3.5L while the top of the line arcam is 95K so its quite a spread. If i was willing for that outlay i would buy the accuphase DP400 as its a smoother performer. The Arcam is as good as it gets at the price point but can sometimes be a little heavy handed even when the music does not demand it, otherwise a superb cdp with sacd playback.
In fact i did not like the plinius cdp a great deal and have not heard any of the Ayre so cant comment.
Try the Marantz SA 11S2 too. It may work very well and is available in grey about 1.1/ 1.25L
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar,
Would you rate the Marantz SA 11S2 above the Arcam CD37 FMJ ?
Heavy handed....Can you elaborate ?

Hi Dinyaar,
Would you rate the Marantz SA 11S2 above the Arcam CD37 FMJ ?
Heavy handed....Can you elaborate ?

Personally its a tough call. The Arcam has tremendous LF detail and has a monster 'thump' while being reasonable articulate over the rest of the freq spectrum whereas the marantz is superb in the top end but could do with some bass control as it seems a bit 'over the place' with certain music.
Build of the Marantz is superior IMO and the option of balanced outs is important to me. I would probably go marantz for a cdp if i was buying.
Both of the above are SACD players while the CD 17 is only RBCD.

I have the CD192 and the CD37 is much cleaner.
Rgds

does not demand it, otherwise a superb cdp with sacd playback.

Ayre sound is similiar to the Accuphase house sound..very rich and smooth. cannot comment on it side by side but the Ayre is a bit more neutral (or less warm/dry etc depending which system you play it with !). excellent build and high quaity for its price.

However much I like the Accuphase i am not going to put that kind of money in a cdp, so if the Ayre is similar and reasonable i would like to hear it.
Who distributes Ayre? Mumbai availability?
Thanks in advance
Rgds

Hey! What is the rest of the set up? Is there any thing lacking ( sound wise) in your friends set up?

@ Dinyaar considering the plinus would you still go for a marantz?
Cheers.

Tnks

Hey! What is the rest of the set up? Is there any thing lacking ( sound wise) in your friends set up?

@ Dinyaar considering the plinus would you still go for a marantz?
Cheers.

Hi Nirav,
Personally i dont see why not. Once the amp + speakers are in place the cdps can all add a different flavour. Yes i would try a marantz with any amp.
Now this Plinius cdp is also a first for the co (a la BRYSTON BCD 1) and has mixed reviews. I heard it and it sounded good but since all the components in the chain were 'new' to my ears i just could not have an opinion of each. The cdp had no display and tiny lights that lit up to indicate the track No and that was a pain plus from what i remember there was no play button too, one had to use the remote. Lastly it costs about 3L so i would naturally prefer the tried and tested Accuphase cdps if i were spending 3L and above.
The Bryston cdp is supposed to be good too and much cheaper. It will be a neutral performer too and should be equally well built.
Marantz has excelled at cdps for ages and are IMO a safer bet than these two first timers.
Rgds

Last edited:
@ dinyaar i agree.
I've heard the Plinus9200 with it's cdp a nos of times & never found the plinus to my liking.

My question was for selection between the marantz & arcam as i feel the arcam would add some exitement to set up. But of course i've not heard the arcam & marantz as extensively as you. So my question was pertaining to synergy.
Cheers.

What I find in Marantz is the fluid nature of its performance. Over the years I have auditioned and owned many cd players. In my experience the Marantz reference series let me listen to music unfatigued for a very very long time. That is one of the reason I stick with them.

Dear All, thanks for the responses. He has not audiotioned any of the brands I mentioned. It was just some info he found thru' net. He preferred to go for used ones. But, I sugested to go for (affordable) new one. I think Arcam might suit his budget. Earlier he used some Marantz (old model, I don't remember), but now want to try diff brand which should sound well with Plini amp. The budget is close to a lakh.

Thanks

However much I like the Accuphase i am not going to put that kind of money in a cdp, so if the Ayre is similar and reasonable i would like to hear it.
Who distributes Ayre? Mumbai availability?
Thanks in advance
Rgds

this is where the problem starts :(

Murali who had posted here had an Ayre CDP. Singapore has an Ayre dealer..so if you do travel there you can get a demo.

Hi Sq Wave, his budget is not that much. As I found it's around a lakh. Any well maintained pc is avaible, he's ready to pick. Are you familer with Arcam models & their prices in India? If the prices are comparable to S'Pore pricing, he would like to pick it from India dealer.

Dear Odyssey, thanks for the info. Saw the Ad. It's less than a year old, but 2owners already!. Any idea why the present owner selling it off. Due to mismatch or not according to his taste? Anyway I'll pass on this to my friend, if pricing is ok he will pursue further.

Thank you once again,

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back