Best budget Amp for Dali ikon 6

Manjog

Hi there,
I initially thought of buying a good AVR and floorstanders and gradually set up a 5.1 HT system. Considering my usage ratio (70:30 for music : movies), and as advised by forum members, i started looking for a pure stereo setup (with initial budget of 1 to 1.2 L). After my initial reasearch on the net and this forum and also keeping in view of my budget, i shortlisted the following amps and speakers(3/2.5 way).

(a) Dali ikon 6
(b) MA RX6/RS6
(c) Marantz PM 7003/8003
(d) Nad C355

Serving in the Armed Forces, I am presently posted to Bagdogra near Siliguri (West Bengal); not the place for hifi audio market. So I visited Kolkata and auditioned all the available stuff in this city. (very limited options available).

Firstly, I auditioned ikon 6 with CA 550A with CD player CA 550C at SKS traders. I had not carried my CDs so I listened to the available ones (Eagles and Dil Se). Being the first of the kind of experience, I felt it was good initially, but then the amp vol had to kept at 12 o clock to enjoy the music. The mid range was excellent, Highs were good however, slightly less on the bass. Carried on more research on the net and visited again with own CDs (Bon Jovi, Eagles, Bryan Adams, Dil Se, Dire Straits etc) and this time tried the same speakers with CA 740C, Arcam fmj A28 and Arcam Diva A90. None could satisfy me. With Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams stuff, the SQ and bass was absolutely lacking with CA 740, SQ was good with Fmj A28 but bass was absolutely flat. Diva A90 (priced at 70K) sounded good, however, in the small demo room, the vol had to set more than 50% to enjoy the pleasant Bass for rock music (effort on the amp was high).
Conclusion: IMO, CA and Arcam may not be the right kind of amps for Dali ikon 6 for all genres of music. Arcam +ikon 6 good for Jazz and instrumental.

Disappointed I went to PROMISES (deals with Onkyo B7W and Nad) and auditioned B&W 683 with the only available Nad C375. The bass was too high for music and caused listening fatigue at flat setting of amp (but a very powerful amp drove the 683 effortlessly). Combo not at all for music.

I also auditioned B7W603 with Nad C325 at Digital Aqoustics. (old stuff at sell-out price just 70% of my budget). But again fatigue due at excess bass even at 30% setting of vol and flat bass & treble. Again not ideal for music.
Conclusion: IMHO, Nad and B&W not the right combinatin for music.

Lastly, I visited Pro Fx. Mr Srikanth (a very enterprising manager) arranged for a demo of a day old Denon PMA 1510 (140w at 4 ohms) & CDP 710 with Kef iQ90 (3 way speakers) at one of the customers place. So far the best to my ears for all genres of music; incidentally thats my taste.

There being no more options available in Kolkata, I request the forum members to help me out by suggesting the following:
(a) Best budget amp for Dali ikon 6 amp.
(b) Place where I can audition ikon 6 with a Marantz or Nad in Kolkata/Delhi region (dont mind going to Delhi to quench my thirst).
(c) Whether the Denon 1510+710CDP and iQ90 combo @1.5 lakhs (willing to stretch my budget for SQ)is worth the budget? And ur comments on this set up.

Help me out audiophiles!

Hello Mate,
If you do not mind a used piece, a friend of mine is selling his mint condition Marantz Reference PM-15S1.
It can pass of as a new one, its that good.
You can demo them in Delhi.. do get CDs of the songs you like and I can arrange for the audition.

Regards,
Jitu

Hello Mate,
If you do not mind a used piece, a friend of mine is selling his mint condition Marantz Reference PM-15S1.
It can pass of as a new one, its that good.
You can demo them in Delhi.. do get CDs of the songs you like and I can arrange for the audition.

Regards,
Jitu

How much is it?

cheers

jitu, if my guess is right, this piece will be as good as new, and up for a very reasonable price. Op would be lucky to grab it!

I am actually tempted to pick it up....
I have no idea how it compares to my Arcam A32. I wanted to get the Marantz home and do an A-B test, but the cosmetic condition is so pristine that I am lil scared I would cause scratch/ding just to test it... sigh..

OP:

You need to audition RX6/RS6 also. Try to partner them with A28/A38 and I think you will like it - superb bass, midrange, and treble. If possible audition RS6 with Arcam.

:)

jitubisht:
Thanx. I would love to have a demo on the Marantz PM-15S1. I would be in Delhi on 16 Oct 10( Saturday). Hope u can arrange a demo for me. But with which speakers?

vinod_david
MA speakers are on my mind too. But not available in Kolkata. Can u suggest me a place in Delhi/Chandigarh where I can audition Rs6/Rx6 with either Marantz or Arcam?

I am going to be frank for a change....

I personally feel that the Dali Ikon 6 is nowhere near the Quad 22L2 - in the same price band, and to my ears, pairs quite well with a wide range of amps.

The monitor audio speakers - both RS and Rx are great as well. The nwer RX's are killer though!

No flames please.... as this is my humble opinion.

The Marantz amp mentioned, is a steal. The OP would do well to GRAB it before it disappears.

Hi Manjog,
From your conclusions it appears that you prefer neutral sound. Considering that you shouldn't keep Dali Ikon6 in your short list. General opinion considers them to be "forward" sounding... its no surprise that they sounded lacking in bass even with a slightly "warm" amp like Arcam.

Your shortlisted, MA RS6 is alreday a good starting point. Try auditioning it with Marantz amp like 7003. "RS6 + Marantz" ought to sound sweet and neutral, without sounding analytical. Vinod David may know how it sounds.

Regds,
Sonosphere

My view is that speakers and amps are a combo-a wrong combo and you dont like it, a right combo and you love it. Accordingly do invest some time auditioning equipment, it's worth the time you spend.

I am going to be frank for a change....

I personally feel that the Dali Ikon 6 is nowhere near the Quad 22L2 - in the same price band, and to my ears, pairs quite well with a wide range of amps.

The monitor audio speakers - both RS and Rx are great as well. The nwer RX's are killer though!

No flames please.... as this is my humble opinion.

The Marantz amp mentioned, is a steal. The OP would do well to GRAB it before it disappears.

Having taken Dali ikon 6 out from my list( already auditioned). Can u suggest me amps for MA RS/RX 6 and Quad 22L2 (not auditioned at all)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back