CD Player suggestions - display related

hstejas

Hi Guys,
I recently bought a Marantz PM5004 and QAcoustics 2020i for a stereo setup.
Sounds awesome :yahoo:
Im currently using DVD players to play my audio cds and mp3s from a USB drive.
My problem is that to navigate in the DVD player, I need to turn on the TV to actually browse and play songs. This is quite cumbersome.
I was wondering if it would make sense from a usability perspective to invest in a dedicated CDP like Marantz, Denon etc as the cost involved is quite high :sad:
I guess there is not doubt about the quality increase from a DVD player which is reason no 1. But I'm also considering the usability aspect mainly.
I do have a couple of iPods at my place which also has music.
I'm actually considering a TEAC CDP650 from the US which seems to a sweet deal as it also has iPod compatibility, and very decent specs.
However, I'm not sure if browsing the mp3 files on these sort of CDPs are easy.
Bottom line - I do not want to use my TV to actually browse through files every time.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

-Regards,
Tejas

Last edited:
Browsing the files without display - I think that would be a challenge in almost all kinds of CDPs. Hence the ipod is always convenient in my opinion.

I may be wrong, but just an opinion assuming we have an average CDP.
mp3 song played via that cdp vs same song via ipod.
--> Via cdp it may sound more cleaner, but from ipod it sounds more musical in the long run.

Use a laptop or PC or media player and a DAC. You can control with Android or Apple phone or tab. Will work out cheaper and far more user friendly than a good CD player with display.
There are several threads with lot of information. Visit some local FMs who are having PC or media based players. See from their signatures.
If you are ok for used stuff, there is a decent laptop for sale on the forum in Bangalore itself. DACs also come up for sale frequently.

Oh okie. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
But somehow the PC, media player, DAC seems even cumbersome. Will occupy a lot of space. This setup is for the bedroom actually.
Hence decided on a CDP.
@Amit - I didn't understand how directly from the iPod can sound more musical than CDP.
The CDP would have a better DAC than iPod most surely right?
I mean reading the reviews of TEAC, it has quite a good dac apparently.
I did read another thread in the forum about the TEAC CDP. Seems to be good.

You are thinking of regular desktop computers. You can have a music PC or media player with a dac smaller than a cd player! Check out Cubox and Zotac. Check out pc builds with Antec ISK110 or ISK310 cabinets. Or the Cooler Master mini 210. There is a ISK310 build for sale in Bangalore. Go check it out. Or just get a 10" atom laptop. More than enough for music playback. Then get a USB DAC some of which are no bigger than a pen drive! I am not sure but I think the Antec 310 and the CM 210 will take additional sound card so no need for DAC! Today CD players are more cumbersome than music PC. I have used CD player for many years and now changing to pc. Do some research before you decide.

@hstejas
Yes, agree with you. CDP would have a better DAC than ipod.

I was able to incidentally compare for a very short time only. The CDP was a small pioneer and not an expensive one. (that is what the shopkeeper told). Initially the cdp sounded cleaner but I felt something missing compared to via ipod. This might be due to the fact that the cdp was not an expensive one and the DAC of cdp was not better than the ipod's dac.

hmmm... i find it the other way around :)

rgds

Yes, you are absolutely right in the total process of just inserting and playing as against ripping/downloading, software installing/tweaking, etc, etc. But once you are past that, there should not be any major issues. That is also why I think OP should get in touch with local FMs having PC/Media player based setups and see how it feels.
Right there, on my mind, was the original issue of display. Reading it on a CD player would be far more cumbersome than on a TV display. Nothing like having it on a phone or tab in your hand.

Another advantage of PC and media player is the flexibility of playing multiple discs, playlists, etc, or just some number that comes to the mind at the moment, all of which may not be possible with a CD player.
The OP will need to weigh all this and decide what works for him.

Partially agree with you @Naturelover(sorry i didn't catch your name).
Thing is, I already have a media player sort of setup for the hall.
I have a NAS drive connected to my airport extreme. Thats being read by an Apple tv2. I have a couple of iPods and iPads and iPhone through which I can airplay.
And of course the ATV is connected to my Denon AVR.
Thing is for the bedroom I do not want something which would need the TV to be turned on just to play music.
I did think of buying an Airport Express for streaming, as it would automatically fit into my ecosystem, but again, the DAC in it isn't that great.
So I figured a CDP with an iPod connectivity would be better.
I do have a couple(around 25) audio CDs and a 160 Gig iPod Classic.
So the TEAC CDP seemed like a better fit.

-Regards,
Tejas

Partially agree with you @Naturelover(sorry i didn't catch your name).
Thing is, I already have a media player sort of setup for the hall.
I have a NAS drive connected to my airport extreme. Thats being read by an Apple tv2. I have a couple of iPods and iPads and iPhone through which I can airplay.
And of course the ATV is connected to my Denon AVR.
Thing is for the bedroom I do not want something which would need the TV to be turned on just to play music.
I did think of buying an Airport Express for streaming, as it would automatically fit into my ecosystem, but again, the DAC in it isn't that great.
So I figured a CDP with an iPod connectivity would be better.
I do have a couple(around 25) audio CDs and a 160 Gig iPod Classic.
So the TEAC CDP seemed like a better fit.

-Regards,
Tejas

I read somewhere that the Airport express's 3.5mm out also acts like a optical out. So why not try that option and get a good DAC and playback.

@Manniraj - Yes. I thought of the AE actually. I actually do have an Apple TV2. Its very convenient. But since I also have a few Audio CDs, thought this might be a better option.
Although looks like any decent CDP with a USB port will run into 30k easily :-(

@joeMathew - Thanks. But thats out of my budget :-(

I finally bought the TEAC CDP-650. Not a great one, but it does seem VFM as it has a USB port and iPod support as well. Thanks everyone.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back