Celestion Ditton 15 speakers

wishihadtubes

Picked up a pair of Celestion Ditton 15 bookshelf speakers in pretty ok condition today for about Rs 2,000. The cabinets have a few nicks and scratches and can be fixed with polishing.
Some sort of nasty foam that was used to protect the speakers (placed inside the cloth grills) have disintegrated and become a fine powder that was coating the speakers and front baffle. Have done some cleaning but proceeding carefully as I don't want to damage the cones.
These speakers were made between 1966 and 1976 by Celestion though I have no idea when this pair was manufactured. As for the sound - pretty good bass extension (thanks to the passive radiators at the bottom) though the highs are little too much and too bright for my liking.
Also the binding posts at the back are pretty low quality though the crossovers seem to be in very good condition.
Found these links on these speakers:
http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/January 1968/112/808867
http://flippingearaudiobsession.blogspot.com/2008/11/legendary-british-sound.html

Attachments

• DSC03652.jpg
    DSC03652.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC03653.jpg
    DSC03653.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hi Hemant bhai
Yup, these are from my favourite dealer in the flea market in Islamabad. In fact, he kept them aside for me knowing I would be interested.
There were two pairs of vintage Wharfedale speakers at the market yestd and I narrowly missed a real vintage Rotel amplifier which was sold in front of me to someone who clearly knew nothing about what he was buying for just Rs 750.
Cheers

Inshallah!
I heard people visiting Singapore,US,UK,Dubai and other european countries but Pakistan...

I really envy you..BTW you may get other fav stuff like Nuclear warheads ,rocket launchers too there??:)))

I know ppl from other countries but Pak? I just know Musharraf and Zardari but unfortunatly they don't know me!!

Hemant bhai,
My job brought me to Pakistan. The best part of my stint here has been picking up all this vintage equipment and turntables. BTW, an interview i did with Zardari in 2008 ultimately led to the breakdown of his relations with Musharraf.
Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back