center channel speakers ?

balajeem

Hello,

I have Denon AVR 1306 , left and right speakers - Klipsch Reference Bookshelf series. Surround, Center speakers are local made, yamaha subwoofer

1. When I play a DVD, the center channel doesn't produce the dialogues properly - left and right speakers are good. Is it that it could be only due to local speakers ?

2. If I buy a good Center channel speaker, I expect that it would be able to produce the sound even at low volumes properly. Is this a right assumption ?

3. I feel that I am unable to listen to music continuously because I get headache after listening for 30 - 45 mins. - The question may be strange but just thought of checking with experts here - Is it that it could be to due to high volume or improper placement of speakers and or quality of speakers or improper placement of sub ?

4. Recommendation for center channel is appreciated - 75W/RMS is my Denon AVR 1306 is the rating. I wsa told of Paradigm that's costing 14K, I wanted to get Klipsch in Chennai but it seems there are no dealers - Is it so ? Any other good center channel speakers recommendation is also welcome.

Balajee, before you start spending money. Do a simple thing. Just replace the centre channel speaker with one of the left or right Klipsch speakers your are happy with. Listen to it for a little while. If you can hear the dialogues well, your current centre channel speaker is suspect. Else there could be something wrong with you AVR settings. You can try changing relative sound level of the centre channel and see what happens.

If you are getting a headache after 30 mins or so, either your volumes are very high, or you system is distorting the sound too much. It could be ear fatigue leading to a headache.

Couple of things you could do. One is to reduce the volume to about 60dB as measured on an SPL. Second, reduce the time you spend in front of the system to about 15 to 20 minutes, so that your headache does not come. then slowly increase the amount of time you spend listening to music. Third, see if you can sit in a way that gives you a resting position for your head. Many times it is neck strain that leads to a headache. Place a pillow behind you back and rest you head on it. If this works, you have to find a couch that has a head rest.

Cheers

Last edited:
Venkatcr,

Thanks much for your reply.

>>You can try changing relative sound level of the centre channel and see >>what happens.

I increased it to +5dB when compared to left and right (their levels were 0dB).

I will try on the headache related you have mentioned. Thanks for your inputs.

Only when the centre channel level was increased to +5db it was somewhat audible. But for front left and right, I didn't increase it was very good even at low level. For centre, surround I had to increase them to +5dB to make it realy audible. I know they are local speakers but centre channel was a real flop. Surround is ok. I think buying Klipsch centre is the only way out. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know.
Not sure if there is a dealer in Chennai for Klipsch.

Only when the centre channel level was increased to +5db it was somewhat audible. But for front left and right, I didn't increase it was very good even at low level. For centre, surround I had to increase them to +5dB to make it realy audible. I know they are local speakers but centre channel was a real flop. Surround is ok. I think buying Klipsch centre is the only way out. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know.
Not sure if there is a dealer in Chennai for Klipsch.

The audiopeople on G.N Chetty road, deal with Klipsch.

Welcome to The Audio People : Chennai Premiere high - end hi-fi Shop

If you are getting a headache after 30 mins or so, either your volumes are very high, or you system is distorting the sound too much. It could be ear fatigue leading to a headache.

Cheers

Could the headache be bcos the klipsch are too bright ?

Check sub crossover,selecting >120 may give feeling of centre whispering.
Spk cables, DVD discs ,all that matters.

speaker cable - they aren't of high quality for centre. Just like I bought local speakers, they are also of local .

dvds - movies of local dvd, music of standard one such as SONY.

The ones used for Klipsch are of good nature - bought from audio people , chennai during buying Klipsch - don't remember the cost now.

If Klipsch are too bright, what speakers go well with Denon AVR 1306. I am ok if I can get a set for front left,right, centre so that I can move Klipsch to surround. But that would be my last option.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Balajee , You first upgrade should be the center channel, remember that 50% of the Movies sound is coming from the Center , Go for a very good center from the same company .If this is done 70% of your problem will be solved. Then upgrade the surround to Klipsch. If you feel the speakers are very harsh( It should be ) , then adjust the freq in the receiver.

>>then adjust the freq in the receiver.
can you please elaborate ? Sorry I didn't get you.

Thanks for your suggestion of buying a good centre channel from Klipsch.
Will try that as well.

I think your receiver has the option center equalizer , you can try to change the settings in that , apart from that there are DB level , distance etc etc, try to change these settings and this may help you to get the quality you are looking for.

Cheers.

>>then adjust the freq in the receiver.
can you please elaborate ? Sorry I didn't get you.

Thanks for your suggestion of buying a good centre channel from Klipsch.
Will try that as well.

I mean, crossover setting in AVR.
I use 80 OR 100Hz.
Its good you are upgrading centre.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back