Centre Channel Speaker Suggestion

JrM1

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my centre channel, at present, I am using a Micca MB42X-C for this. Looking for an upgrade under 25k.

Any help and suggestion are much appreciated.

Below is my current setup:
Yamaha YHT-196(HTR-2064) AVR.
JBL Stage A170 Tower as the Front channel
Yamaha Satelite speakers as Surround. Sometimes I also use my Micca MB42x bookshelf as the surround too.
Room size: 11 x19 feet. Seating position: 8 to 10 feet away from speakers.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Cheers!!!

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my centre channel, at present, I am using a Micca MB42X-C for this. Looking for an upgrade under 25k.

Yamaha Satelite speakers as Surround. Sometimes I also use my Micca MB42x bookshelf as the surround too.

considering your room size, the AVR will be best served by a matching centre - something from the Stage series centre like 125, If it is just one person listening at a time...
Does you Yammie have room correction?
Regards

considering your room size, the AVR will be best served by a matching centre - something from the Stage series centre like 125, If it is just one person listening at a time...
Does you Yammie have room correction?
Regards
Thanks k-pad but sadly my avr don't have room correction.

Also, I have considered stage series center but saw some bad reviews online, mostly regarding its narrow beam width horizontally. Any truth in that.

Last edited:
Hi,

The center speaker and the subwoofer are the main speakers who do most of the job when watching movies and hence its essential these 2 are the best available within your budget and requirements. The rest of the speakers for a movie just fill the surround and presence effects. Most would keep the Front and Center as same brand and same model. I have done the same in the past, sometimes even a mix and match.

Look for a center speaker which can output most of the frequencies between 20hz to 20khz. A 3 way center speaker or a 2.5 way speaker would be the most ideal one depending on the available space for placement and budget. See for speaker with a high sensitivity level. Look for LCR type.

Read reviews / see you tube videos if you can't audition.....all the best

Hi,

How's the output of your front towers? What's the shape of your room? If it's a rectangle, then try experimenting Without Center. Mark center channel absent in your receiver. The signal will be sent to your front speakers. Check how that sounds to you.

MaSh

The center speaker and the subwoofer are the main speakers who do most of the job when watching movies and hence its essential these 2 are the best available within your budget and requirements. The rest of the speakers for a movie just fill the surround and presence effects. Most would keep the Front and Center as same brand and same model. I have done the same in the past, sometimes even a mix and match.

Look for a center speaker which can output most of the frequencies between 20hz to 20khz. A 3 way center speaker or a 2.5 way speaker would be the most ideal one depending on the available space for placement and budget. See for speaker with a high sensitivity level. Look for LCR type.

Read reviews / see you tube videos if you can't audition.....all the best
Thanks Efernand1 for this insightful info. Does it really matter to have matching center channel with front speakers? 8f I am planning to use a different brand then what are the things I need to take care?

How's the output of your front towers? What's the shape of your room? If it's a rectangle, then try experimenting Without Center. Mark center channel absent in your receiver. The signal will be sent to your front speakers. Check how that sounds to you.

MaSh
Thanks Mash, I have a rectangular room, its 19x11.

The set up is in longer side of room and I usually seat 8 to 10 feet away from speakers.

Adding the snap of my room, this will give you a better idea. I usually move the yellow chair to center for listening purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_101836.jpg
    IMG_20220909_101836.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20220909_105436.jpg
    IMG_20220909_105436.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Why not consider center from same series with min 5in drivers? It will match well with front.
That was my initial plan but then saw an online review which says the stage series centre is not that good.

Also, I will move on to a new front speaker pair in a year or two, but not planning to do so for the centre.

Last edited:
Thanks Mash, I have a rectangular room, its 19x11.

The set up is in longer side of room and I usually seat 8 to 10 feet away from speakers.

Adding the snap of my room, this will give you a better idea. I usually move the yellow chair to center for listening purpose.
Thars perfect. Set center speaker to absent in receiver and experiment. Costs nothing. Keep the towers equidistant from the tv. They will form a phantom center.

MaSh

Thars perfect. Set center speaker to absent in receiver and experiment. Costs nothing. Keep the towers equidistant from the tv. They will form a phantom center.

MaSh
Thanks again MaSh, I will try that. So does this mean we can skip the centre completely and rely on the front pair to do the job?

And about equidistance from TV, I love to do that, but my space and the fixed TV unit are the major hurdles in achieving so. Not sure how to do that other than completely building a new TV unit(which I will but not immediately).

Thanks again MaSh, I will try that. So does this mean we can skip the centre completely and rely on the front pair to do the job?

And about equidistance from TV, I love to do that, but my space and the fixed TV unit are the major hurdles in achieving so. Not sure how to do that other than completely building a new TV unit(which I will but not immediately).
Yes. I have never had a center speaker for many years now. No issues of matching or panning of sound. The receiver will handle all that. Center channel becomes important when you have to anchor the sound to the center of the screen due to non rectangular seating. Without a center someone sitting on the right will not hear the left speaker and vice versa. Hence a Center is important in that case for all to hear the vocals coming from the screen irrespective of where they sit.

From the pic your speakers are already seeming equidistant from tv. So it should be fine.

MaSh

Yes. I have never had a center speaker for many years now. No issues of matching or panning of sound. The receiver will handle all that. Center channel becomes important when you have to anchor the sound to the center of the screen due to non rectangular seating. Without a center someone sitting on the right will not hear the left speaker and vice versa. Hence a Center is important in that case for all to hear the vocals coming from the screen irrespective of where they sit.

From the pic your speakers are already seeming equidistant from tv. So it should be fine.

MaSh
Great to know, let me try this. Thanks

Thanks Efernand1 for this insightful info. Does it really matter to have matching center channel with front speakers? 8f I am planning to use a different brand then what are the things I need to take care?

Its not necessary that the Center and Front need to be of same brand. Ensure the speaker you select performs maximum frequencies from the spectrum, it should have high sensitivity so even the lowest power input will still give out crisp clear vocals / dialogues. It should fit in the area to plan to place it and OfCourse your budget.

Thanks efernand1.

I am now considering between
1. Polk Signature Elite ES30
2. Q Acoustics 3090Ci

On paper both looks similar wrt sensitivity and impedance. But drivers are smaller in Q.

Have you experienced any of these. Do you have any idea which one will be better?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back