Change the AMP section of AVR

sunilraj

Do any one tried to change/upgrade the AMP section of an AVR?
I have a used Sony STR DH700 AVR, quite a features in it but amp is below ordinary. My Stereo chipamp out-performs this AVR in every aspect. I am thinking to change the electronics of the AMP section with my own design, but reusing the Power Supply and possibly the board. Do I make sense here?
Any one have experience in this?

I recently got my onkyo receiver modded by an onkyo employee. I asked him to get the front l/r pre-out from avr, and then connected it to the hk stereo amp. Output was low, but I was able to manage by increasing vol both on stereo amp as well as avr. You may try the same. This way, AVR amps would work if you need.

I recently got my onkyo receiver modded by an onkyo employee. I asked him to get the front l/r pre-out from avr, and then connected it to the hk stereo amp. Output was low, but I was able to manage by increasing vol both on stereo amp as well as avr. You may try the same. This way, AVR amps would work if you need.

Good idea, I need only mains and centre channel. Did you tap the signals from pre section or isolated it completely from amp.

didn't quite understand your question. I asked the person to find the point where the signal enters the power module, and take a tap from there.

Good idea, I need only mains and centre channel. Did you tap the signals from pre section or isolated it completely from amp.

didn't quite understand your question. I asked the person to find the point where the signal enters the power module, and take a tap from there.

Its very easy,there is a ribben connector which connects Digital board to amp section.There you can tap it.

You think the avr amp section is bad...

The preamp section is even worse :D

If you want good sound, just sell it and pick up an integrated. Better still, build your own chip power amp and use it with some TVC to save cost. It will be like removing a blanket between you and the music :)

alternatively you can buy a completely bilt 5.1 channel power amp from a member here who wants to sell his DIY cretion
people whove heard it have liked it

i think the seller is in banglore too
search the for sale section

sq_wave - the idea is not to use pre-amp for music. This is the most convenient method to use single set of speakers with 2 sets of amps.
The pre-amp, while watching movies, will go to amp section of integrated, spealer wires from integrated only need to go speakers.
While all music sources would connect directly to int. amp, and avr would be shut.

You think the avr amp section is bad...

The preamp section is even worse :D

If you want good sound, just sell it and pick up an integrated. Better still, build your own chip power amp and use it with some TVC to save cost. It will be like removing a blanket between you and the music :)

I am confused, do the audio signal from pre-amp section is below par amp section! Sony has STK audio power IC driving darlington output transistors in the power amp section which offcourse induce distortion to pre-amp source.:mad:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back