Changing my HT set up to Stereo Need Help to decide Speakers, Amp

jagdish_p

Hi,
I am currently having a surround system comprising of Mirage Omni FS 550, C 150 and Rear 150 connected to Rx V 667. These are good speakers providing good Bass and enhance the Movie experience.
I was using the Omni 550 Floor Standers (1- 6.5 for Bass, 1-6.5 for mid, 1 Tweeter for High, 3 Way crossover) connected to Cambridge 650 A for listening to music.

Off late the change bug has caught me as I feel the need for musical speakers for a stereo set up and are detailed even at low volumes. I do not intend to connect a Woofer.

I Initially auditioned a few Book shelves assuming that these will be better suited for my need to play at low volumes and then changed my opinion and included Floor Standers also after listening to them. My room is not dedicated and is 20 X18 Living room with doors / windows all around. Type of music Varied both English Pop, Disco, Indian Classical Tabla, Veena, Filmi etc.

Following are my impressions. (I am no audiophile and cannot give technical descriptions)

Also since I was not sure about what I want (The confusion continues) I auditioned varied mix of speakers.

I) The speakers I really liked:

a) Tannoy DC6T
b) MA GX100 ( I heard the GX50 also but did not find them to be in the very good category)

II) Other speakers which are good ( Considering the Price )

1) Aviano 2 - BS
2) Mezzo 2 BS
3) Tannoy Mercury V1 BS
4) KEF Q300

III) Dint Like

1) PSB Image T5
2) B&W 685
3) Heco Floor standers
The auditions were done over a period of two months with different set ups and source.
So my impressions can be all skewed

Given the above I am veering towards finally selecting Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE

I have also been told that the below are comparable to Tannoys

1) Dali IKon 6 Mk2
2) PSB Image T6

My queries are

a) Will the Tannoy DC6TSE provide a substantial upgrade over my existing set up of Mirage Omni 550 Floor standers?
b) Has anyone compared Tannoy DC6T vs. Dali Ikon Mk2 Vs PSB Image T6? Is it worth wile to wait and audition them given that they are not available in Hyderabad- or should I go ahead and finalize on the Tannoys.
c) Finally is it worth the additional spend on Tannoy DC 6T SE compared to DC6T? The SE are supposed to have improved drivers and crossovers

I am willing to change the Amp also if required

Budget: Speakers approx. 80K

Amp Approx 30 K

I know that the above questions are very specific and may not have ready answers. But it will reassuring to know that I am not making a blunder.

Thanks

Mirage speakers are fine as home theatre fronts and for music it is not as good as the Tannoy DC6T SEs. So if you are liking the sound signature of the Tannoys go ahead with them. Do not rush to change your amplifier now. First get the Tannoys, hook them with your existing CA amp and check the performance for a week or so. Still if you find the matching is not good or if you are not completely satisfied then start looking for a suitable amplifier for the Tannoys ... All the best :)

I've heard PSB Image T6 and KEF Q700. Both of them are good if you appreciate great imaging, mids, and warm highs. Ikon 6 is slightly below these two.
I've yet to audition Q900 (which I may actually buy) coz it has bigger drivers specially to compensate the q700's lacking bass.

Last edited:
Try to audition with your CA Amp and then take a call.

I auditioned MS Avaino and Monitor Audio BX2 with the CA 650a and i fet BX2 was a better combination for CA amp as compared to MS Avaino.
Again your ears may like something else. Dont have idea abt Tannoys.

A new amp in range of 30k may not be able to drive the floor standers. better you pair the speakers with your current amp. A new amp which can drive floorstanders may be around 50k or more. you have to look for nad c356bee, marantz pm7004/8004 or beyond. Only amp that can drive floor standers in 30k range i can think of is yamaha AS500 or AS700.

Regards, Amit

Thanks for all the responses,
Regarding Amp Wattage requirement.
My understanding is that though the Tannoy DC6t SE are rated at Continuous power handling 100 Watts RMS, the recommended Amp power is 20-200W RMS - which means a low power Amp also will suffice.

I prefer listening at low volumes and rarely go above the 11 O clock position in my existing set up.

I started my search for Book Shelves as I intially thought that they will be better sounding at Low volumes. However I found the DC6T - FS better then DC 6 BS at same sound levels.

Is my observation correct or should I stick to Book shelves only?

I think you should try balance your budget between FS and amp.

80 k for speakers and 30k for amp does not seem correct.

Check out the EPOS ELAN/EPIC series speakers with Creek destiny amp. Slightly over your budget , but definitely musical.

Thanks Kittu. Point well taken.
I am flexible on the Amp budget and will take a call on it after I listen to the speakers with my existing set up.
My bigger worry now is on the Volume levels at which the floor Standers need to be played. Will they be good at low levels or am I better off with Book Shelves?

You can go for elan 15 as kittu suggested. I've recently replaced my ms aviano2 and upgraded to elan 15 for my ca 650 combo. After approx.60 hours running in, the elan 15 is producing nice detailed clean sound with volume at 8'o clock.

sdg

Every speaker has itz own traits depending on the partnering amp.... So no speaker is perfect... :)

Check the Sonodyne Sonus range speakers... Sonus 2605 V3 FS reatials around 27K...They are around 89db efficiency & 3 Way speakers....Easy load for a modest receiver like your's..

I have heard the Sonus 2605 with Yamaha receiver many times....Very good match....

Yamaha receivers are perceived to be on the neutral/natural sounding receivers..... Same with Sonodyne Sonus, they are also neutral....But may sound a lil bright depending on the source material.....

Give them a try (Audition)... You may like them...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back