Charsur CD quality - What is your experience?

Audiophile20

Interesting experience ... in the last 2 weeks, I have bought about 30+ sets of Carnatic Vocals released by CHARSUR. Amazing recordings when they work, but the I have problems with discs in at least 12+ sets where 1 or 2 CDs are unreadable or the CDs skip.

I have bought the 2000 and 2002 sets and no problems. I am wondering if the quality has gone bad over the past few years?

I have contacted CHASUR and they have offered to replace the defective CDs. Thank you CHASUR. But, this is going to take time and I am not looking forward to the exercise.

I am curious if others have similar experince or or is it just my luck? Anyway some of these are packaged as far back as 2005. I love good vocal and have invested into a very nice system, geared for classical music.

I also bought some DVDs and the sound is in 96/24 DTS. And the playback is awesome!

Would it not be great, if some of the classical masters MLV, Maharajapuram Santhanam, MS, Chembai and others were starting off now ... wow! can you imagine the music we will be enjoy today?

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

I have two bad CD sets, 575/- and 375/- . One is where the original recording is bad the other is where the mastering is bad. I lost the bill for both so I could not return them to the shop.

Wonder if I can return them directly to Charsur?

I now look carefully and avoid purchasing any CD that has the word "re-mastered".

One CD I have simply has a bad assortment of tracks extracted from a live performance - the lack of continuity destroys the spiritual atmosphere created in a kutcheri - for the cd listener.

Cheers

When the company started, tape was still the prime medium, and it used to annoy me that their CDs were always 60 minutes in duration: we paid CD price for a cassette's worth of music!

I don't buy much pre-recorded music these days: I go to see it live instead! However I did buy a Charsur CD very recently (78 minutes :)) and it is fine. This is a recording of a 2008 concert.

The artist is Amrutha Venkatesh. Audiophile20, I know what you mean: I would have loved to have experienced those days and those names, but I do think that there are youngsters today that will be the great names of tomorrow too. Two that I am backing for great futures are Amrutha Venkatesh and V Sumitra.

Gobble, those assortment tracks are fine for newcomers to get a taste, but that is all.

I have a number of albums from Charsur and I have not faced any issues. I actually use Maya as a reference CD for auditioning.

Cheers

Gobble, i tried to get the Ramnad Krishnan nonesuch record from local music stores, but was not available, so got a lossless version from somewhere and it sounds great. The placement of instruments is the best from any carnatic recording i've heard and yet read somewhere the CD remaster version is poor compared to the original LP.

Great article! Now to get get CD version of their original masters .... :licklips:

I will research the labels and try to locate if any have been transferred to CD format for current offerings.

Cheers

Gobble, i tried to get the Ramnad Krishnan nonesuch record from local music stores, but was not available, so got a lossless version from somewhere and it sounds great. The placement of instruments is the best from any carnatic recording i've heard and yet read somewhere the CD remaster version is poor compared to the original LP.

I think this will require searching internationally on the Internet. One cant expect local shops to stock it. :)

Now you are sending me on a treasure hunt ...

cheers

Charsur physical quality can be a letdown at times.

I have bought Vatsalyam three times from them. Each one of the CD has a problem and does not play the last song.

I do have problems with a few other CDs skipping songs as well.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back