Banned
Banned
Hi friends,

I am looking to buy a HTIB for playing 5.1 content with 40 inch LED TV:

My sources:

1. HD channels with 5.1 Dolby sound from HD STB
2. 1080p 5.1Ch Movies from internet via USB

Budget: 15,000 INR

I know Onkyo, Yamaha will be great but out of budget.
Kindly suggest me whats best in this budget

Thanks.

I think for all mass market products you would not find an HDMI input that can carry multiple channels of audio. However if your STB (or your TV for that matter) can output 5.1 over coaxial or optical then there is a possibility to carry forward the read surround from STB / TV to HTiB. Which STB do you have and which TV model?

EDIT: correction, the one which vinay posted indeed have 2 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output which should solve your purpose. However for 5 - 6 K more you can get a Yamaha.

Last edited:
Thanks both.

Can Yamaha YHT 196 play videos directly from USB drive? I think not - its just a AVReceiver not player?

Even Sony IV 3000 is little out of budget at 19-20K. No cheaper options?

Those 5.1 DVD HT systems incapable of doing it?

Yamaha is just AVR, but if you are building an HT I suggest you build it in parts so that you can enjoy it for years without upgrading.

Sony DAV-TZ215 is a NO, only one HDMI and no additional inputs to feed STB audio through it. Philips one can be considered provided your Set Top Box outputs 5.1 over Optical.

Thanks. I had almost forgotten that I'll need 2 HDMI ports.

Phillips one has very less codec support via USB - most common now-a-days is MP4-AVC but only MP4-simple is supported by Phillips.

Looked at other DTH specific advertised HT from LG, but again MP4-AVC support is not mentioned. Any views on it?

LG DH6230S Technical Specifications | LG Electronics IN

Thanks. I had almost forgotten that I'll need 2 HDMI ports.

Phillips one has very less codec support via USB - most common now-a-days is MP4-AVC but only MP4-simple is supported by Phillips.

Looked at other DTH specific advertised HT from LG, but again MP4-AVC support is not mentioned. Any views on it?

LG DH6230S Technical Specifications | LG Electronics IN

This LG is in similar boat as the philips with 1 HDMI out only and one optical in, first get me the following
1. What is your max budget?
2. Which DTH do you have?
3. Do you have a PC / Laptop with HDMI out? If yes what is the config?
4. What is the exact model of your TV?
5. What is the majority of sources you want to play among VCD, DVD / Blu Ray , USB downloaded content?

1. For Audio max budget is 15k
2. Right now I have Local GTPL SD digital STB, but I will shift to HD - Airtel/Tatasky
3. No. Old Laptop has VGA
4. I am yet to buy a TV - 40 inch Phillips or Videocon
5. Mostly movies/tv downloaded from internet.

Tata Sky HD STB support 5.1 over HDMI and earlier they used to support 5.1 over coaxial cable also. I am not certain about Airtel HD. So in my opinion the first Sony option seemed to be the best bet in lowest cost for you. Please wait to get some more budget and then plunge into this. Otherwise if you go ahead and purchase the ones that do not have multiple HDMI or limited USB playback support in future you will end up upgrading or at times even buying a dedicated media player for superior usb media playback for various formats (since your source is internet).

Another option is Buy a lower cost 40 incher TV and utilize the budget on buying an AVR (like Denon, Yamaha, etc) and two stereo speakers for the time being and later on upgrade by adding more speakers (center and surrounds).

Otherwise another option is you to buy a low cost Sony Blu Ray player that supports USB playback and then you can add another 10K for buying a separate 5.1 speaker package like this Amazon.in: Buy Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906 Online at Low Prices in India | Logitech Reviews & Ratings and connect manually. Might fit in your budget too. You will need to connect HDMI out of BD Player to TV and the optical out to the speaker package.

Don't Go with Logitech Z906 system.It's sounds good as it is THX certified.But its a very unstable system.It have 2 year replacement warranty in india.I purchased from Flipkart 1 year 3 month ago.But it stopped working after 11 month of use.They replace with new product.After use of 1 month again the system stop working.This time i got my money back.I found in logitech forum and Flipkart Z906 review that lot's of user have same problem within 1 or 1.5 year.Also its a unrepairable system.If anything wrong after 2 year warranty then you should threw it in dustbin.The Z906 have same common auto shut down and control pod failure issue.Every user change it within 2 year warranty.Logitech didnot give any kind of support after warranty period.So better for go with another product.Please raise your budget little and buy Sony HT iv300.It have DTS-HDMA and Tru-HD decoder which logitech z906 have not.Good Luck.

Thanks both. Z906 is out of budget too @20k and this not including 6k for BDP

I think Sony IV 300 can be my best bet. I want to demo it but not available in my town.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back