Cheap trick that worked!

jenson

Hi all, as some of you may know, im in the process of moving, ehcne thinking of ways to setup my listening room in such a way that it can be customized moved/used in future.

in my current setup, I have a 42 inch LCD in between speakers which are placed 2+feet from rear, 3 feet from side wall and 7 feet between them..

happened to look at those light Jaipur razai's with some kinda Australian wool and voila! decided to try it out!

I placed the single razai folded in one half and put it on the LCD (which is 1 feet from rear wall), completely covering it. results were pretty surprising and amazing to say the least.

Bass sounded tighter, sounds became much less cluttered, I could hear so much more detail!! in one case where I playing a bass heavy track from Gorillaz, my mobile charger on rear wall was vibrating just about, once I removed the razai, it went ballistic!! which just physically reaffirmed I was not hallucinating! real happy with this make shift arrangement, I think ill design a plan circling this idea, shud server my immediate purpose with no major dent, in the end, whenever I decide to scrap or move, we always would have razai :) in which case, don't be surprised if you find me selling razai on this forum in near future!

If you are into music more than TV/movies, then move the TV altogether from between the speakers (maybe to another room itself).

Use your TV in another location and use the built in speakers if needed.

Hi all, as some of you may know, im in the process of moving, ehcne thinking of ways to setup my listening room in such a way that it can be customized moved/used in future.

in my current setup, I have a 42 inch LCD in between speakers which are placed 2+feet from rear, 3 feet from side wall and 7 feet between them..

happened to look at those light Jaipur razai's with some kinda Australian wool and voila! decided to try it out!

I placed the single razai folded in one half and put it on the LCD (which is 1 feet from rear wall), completely covering it. results were pretty surprising and amazing to say the least.

Bass sounded tighter, sounds became much less cluttered, I could hear so much more detail!! in one case where I playing a bass heavy track from Gorillaz, my mobile charger on rear wall was vibrating just about, once I removed the razai, it went ballistic!! which just physically reaffirmed I was not hallucinating! real happy with this make shift arrangement, I think ill design a plan circling this idea, shud server my immediate purpose with no major dent, in the end, whenever I decide to scrap or move, we always would have razai :) in which case, don't be surprised if you find me selling razai on this forum in near future!

Sir,did I understand you that ,you covered the TV with Australian TV and the sound improved?Do you know how it happened?Any pic is appreciated.

he put a blanket on the wall mounted TV and the sound improved.

it does actually.

mpw

it does actually.

mpw

ummm.....confused, blanket on TV for improving sound quality, are not the vents on the TV meant for heat dissipation blocked

the blanket on the TV minimizes / reduces the sound reflections from the tv screen

rgds

ummm.....confused, blanket on TV for improving sound quality, are not the vents on the TV meant for heat dissipation blocked

To further clarify -
Covering the TV with a blanket when the TV is not being used ! The speakers being used only for music.

it does actually.

mpw

To further clarify -
Covering the TV with a blanket when the TV is not being used ! The speakers being used only for music.

Thanks guys, correct. :)

I'm sorry I didn't explain it clearly enough..

all of these efforts are preps for my new flat. experiment mentioned in this thread have been undertaken in our current home, where my bedroom doubles up as my listening/movie room.

I have no intention to use this blanket over a TV method, that's not the idea, it was just a convenient thing to implement. I'm planning to move TV into a different room when we shift to new flat.

Jaipur razai provides me with a cost effective, baby friendly environment. and I can gift away this in future when not required. btw - the idea also came from a video that I saw on acoustic carpets, where someone recommended it needs to be thick enough, but not as thick where one wont be able to blow air thru.

I cannot comment on what frequencies does it block et al...but I intend to use this in different corners in listening room along with front/rear wall as well. just intend to tame bass a little.

You may be only altering the frequencies by muffling it. It may sound different due to the same reason. Don't confuse it with increase clarity, bass getting clearer etc.

Check the treble, you may hear a reduction in them and the vocal clarity also reduced.

The only way to take a quantum leap in sound clarity is by throwing a few grand into the equipment. Leave the 'razai' for the kids.

When we were in school we once visited a music shop which used earthen pots as speaker boxes and it was giving really good bass as judged by us wide eyed newbies....we went 'wooooow' and kept talking about it for a few months !! Now we know...

Hi Sachin, as mentioned before -" cannot comment on what frequencies does it block et al"

what I felt was - reduced bass tension/clutter, clearer imaging. definitely better than what I was listening before. I did try to see if I was missing out on lets say a "fuller sound", but no, I felt that fuller sound was hiding lot of small details which was overpowered by clutter.

again, this by no means may be accurate "technically", but it seems to tackle bass related clutter/tension well...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back