cheapest way to make dumb TV smart - but not for prime video or netflix

arnprasad

HI,

I got a spare dumb TV lying unused. With the prime day sale coming up, I wanted to make it smart and I got 4 options - (a) Fire TV stick (b) Chromecast (c) Mi 4K box (d) Raspberry PI mini PC.

More than wanting to watch prime video or netflix, I want the following if possible but below 5K.

(a) Ability to take wireless keyboard and mouse for websurfing
(b) Ability to take a USB stick with video files in it and play it for no internet video playing
(c) Ability to take webcam say for kids online classes - I have the Mi TV Webcam.
(d) Ability to do basic browsing...using wireless keyboard and mouse

FireTV stick is already advertized as going on sale next week, but am sure it cant do most of above things. Mi 4K box is back in stock. Not sure if I can get a prebuilt Pi computer for less than 5K.

Do let me know if I have any options. One option could be that I can run a long HDMI cable from a desktop in another room to this TV. But then how do I control the desktop?

HI,

I got a spare dumb TV lying unused. With the prime day sale coming up, I wanted to make it smart and I got 4 options - (a) Fire TV stick (b) Chromecast (c) Mi 4K box (d) Raspberry PI mini PC.

More than wanting to watch prime video or netflix, I want the following if possible but below 5K.

(a) Ability to take wireless keyboard and mouse for websurfing
(b) Ability to take a USB stick with video files in it and play it for no internet video playing
(c) Ability to take webcam say for kids online classes - I have the Mi TV Webcam.
(d) Ability to do basic browsing...using wireless keyboard and mouse

FireTV stick is already advertized as going on sale next week, but am sure it cant do most of above things. Mi 4K box is back in stock. Not sure if I can get a prebuilt Pi computer for less than 5K.

Do let me know if I have any options. One option could be that I can run a long HDMI cable from a desktop in another room to this TV. But then how do I control the desktop?
Forget raspberry pi, I have it, it’s extremely bad for video playback on any OS.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back