check out the specs of this great 5.1 speaker package and then compare with others

dmann

i want you guys to check this 5.1 setup from mardaunt short i.e. the genie and compare it to the other good rated 5.1 systems like the paradigm cinema ct110,q acoustics 1010i.deftech pro cinema series and others from kef,klipsch,polk etc.
i have compared it to all of them and the specs of the genie is above all of them with their 4inch mid range drivers and 1 inch aluminium dome tweeter for satellites and 200 watt powered subwoofer.i mean in this price range they offer the best specs of all its competitors.
i have heard this system along with ca 340 amp of cambridge audio and it sounded great to me.the 5.1 system is available for 60k amd the amp for 20k.
i dont have the option of auditioning other 5.1 systems i mentioned above so cant really compare but going from the specs and actually listening the genie i find it the best bet among all others.
i want to buy this system but only after some views from the members here.
so check this link and give your views

Genie / Products / Mordaunt Short
thanks.

Re: check out the specs of this great 5.1 speaker package and then compare with other

Though the price bands could be the same, the comparison is all wrong and incomplete. The QA, for example, are bookshelf speakers while the MS are Sub-Sats. There are 3 or four models in the Deftech Pro Cinema.

Specs by themselves have no value. You have to listen to the speakers to hear the difference. And the CA 340 is a very low powered amp to strain or push any of these speaker sets.

Cheers

Re: check out the specs of this great 5.1 speaker package and then compare with other

i a, talking about the top of the line of the deftechs and paradigms.comparing to all of them the genies have better specs.
the dealer told me ca340r would be enough to drive the genies and the recievers from cambridge audio give true rated power but have less features then others from denon yamaha etc..that is what the dealer told me and he deals with denon too.
being a good friend of mine he advised me this setup.he always prefers camridge audio receivers over denon and yamaha because he has experience with both and says the that cambridge receivers have very good quality and some of the features which they lack are of no use.
here is the link for the ca 340
Cambridge Audio Azur 340R technical specifications - from the experts at whathifi.com
thanks

i a, talking about the top of the line of the deftechs and paradigms.comparing to all of them the genies have better specs.
the dealer told me ca340r would be enough to drive the genies and the recievers from cambridge audio give true rated power but have less features then others from denon yamaha etc..that is what the dealer told me and he deals with denon too.
being a good friend of mine he advised me this setup.he always prefers camridge audio receivers over denon and yamaha because he has experience with both and says the that cambridge receivers have very good quality and some of the features which they lack are of no use.
here is the link for the ca 340
Cambridge Audio Azur 340R technical specifications - from the experts at whathifi.com
thanks

thanks for the link
BTW must be old model as this receiver is not equipped with HD audio decoders

thanks for the link
BTW must be old model as this receiver is not equipped with HD audio decoders

Ya it is an old model but acc to the dealer it is the best choice as the hd audio content is also limited.
Any views on the genie speakers and its competitors anyone?

Ya it is an old model but acc to the dealer it is the best choice as the hd audio content is also limited.
Any views on the genie speakers and its competitors anyone?

Dealer is Offloading old stock. Same trick is used bt Reliance Digital...
3 Year back there were some dealrers who said FULL HD IS NOT NECESSARY :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

BTW if the dealer is not speciality one he may not aware of HD audio

Dealer is Offloading old stock. Same trick is used bt Reliance Digital...
3 Year back there were some dealrers who said FULL HD IS NOT NECESSARY :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

BTW if the dealer is not speciality one he may not aware of HD audio

Then i may buy some other rec from denon or yamaha if this is the case.
What about the speakers.they are also an old model but sound great.

Speaker technology haven;t change much ...sam about 2 channel amps
But AVR tech is changing by leaps and bounds.

Any take on the genie speakers.do some system hve better specs in this price range.just check out the genies in the link given in the first post.
Thanks

When you say better specs, what are you looking at - frequency range, input power, sensitivity...?

As venkat has said, it is hard to buy a speaker based on specifications. You can probably buy avr based on it, provided the specifications are correct.

You may be better off asking which is the better sounding speaker set rather than specs, but the views would be subjective.

When you say better specs, what are you looking at - frequency range, input power, sensitivity...?

As venkat has said, it is hard to buy a speaker based on specifications. You can probably buy avr based on it, provided the specifications are correct.

You may be better off asking which is the better sounding speaker set rather than specs, but the views would be subjective.

ya i am comparing all these tech specs.the major diff is the size of drivers with the genies having 4 inch nidbass drivers and 1 inch tweeter for the satellites while the rest of them have smaller drivers.
I know sound doesnt entirely depend on size but atleast it has to be considered.
I am surprised of the fact that noone on this forum have discussed about this system inspite of it sounding great with a decent price and brilliant build quality.
Can someone who have heard this genie along with the paradigms and deftechs please give some review.
Thanks

Can anyone give some reviews.any genie owners here?

I am not sure why you find the genie better in specs
The Deftech procinema 1000 and Q1010i are bookshelves with much better specs (and more expensive I guess) and bigger so ignoring them.

The Genie's specs are
Genie 402 Satellite
Sensitivity 86dB
Frequency response 95Hz 20kHz
Nominal impedance 4 8 Ohms
Drive units 102mm (4") aluminium 2nd generation CPC woofer, 25mm (1") aluminium dome tweeter
Crossover Damped 2nd order
Recommended amplifier power 15 100 watts

The Deftech procinema 800 specs are
Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; One 4-1/2" BDSS bass/midrange drivers; One 4-1/2" pressure coupled bass radiator
Frequency Response :57 Hz 30 kHz
Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
Sensitivity :89 dB
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 150 watts
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :100 Hz

The Paradigm Cinema 110 specs are
Design 3-driver, 2-way acoustic suspension,
mineral-filled polymer enclosure, MagneShield
Crossover 3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2.0 kHz
High-Frequency Driver 25-mm (1 in) PTD dome
Bass / Midrange Drivers Two 115-mm (4-1/2 in) ICP cones
Low-Frequency Extension* 80 Hz (DIN)
Frequency Response:
On-Axis 2 dB from 120 Hz - 20 kHz
30 Off-Axis 2 dB from 120 Hz - 15 kHz

Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 90 dB / 87 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 100 watts
Maximum Input Power 70 watts
Impedance Compatible with 8 ohms

I am not sure why you find the genie better in specs
The Deftech procinema 1000 and Q1010i are bookshelves with much better specs (and more expensive I guess) and bigger so ignoring them.

The Genie's specs are
Genie 402 Satellite
Sensitivity 86dB
Frequency response 95Hz 20kHz
Nominal impedance 4 8 Ohms
Drive units 102mm (4") aluminium 2nd generation CPC woofer, 25mm (1") aluminium dome tweeter
Crossover Damped 2nd order
Recommended amplifier power 15 100 watts

The Deftech procinema 800 specs are
Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; One 4-1/2" BDSS bass/midrange drivers; One 4-1/2" pressure coupled bass radiator
Frequency Response :57 Hz 30 kHz
Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
Sensitivity :89 dB
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 150 watts
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :100 Hz

The Paradigm Cinema 110 specs are
Design 3-driver, 2-way acoustic suspension,
mineral-filled polymer enclosure, MagneShield
Crossover 3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2.0 kHz
High-Frequency Driver 25-mm (1 in) PTD dome
Bass / Midrange Drivers Two 115-mm (4-1/2 in) ICP cones
Low-Frequency Extension* 80 Hz (DIN)
Frequency Response:
On-Axis 2 dB from 120 Hz - 20 kHz
30 Off-Axis 2 dB from 120 Hz - 15 kHz

Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 90 dB / 87 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 100 watts
Maximum Input Power 70 watts
Impedance Compatible with 8 ohms

Ok i agree these have somewhat better specs but they are also expensive than the genies.
Can you please give there price too of this paradigm and q acoustics you mentioned.

The genie after negotiation will be for 50k.
More comments are welcome.
Thanks

The Qacoustics were in the 50k range but check with mridul in the forum as he is the dealer for them.

I am not sure of the pricing of paradigms and deftechs. You can check with KEI who are the distributor of paradigms and part of this forum for the pricing.

Ok i agree these have somewhat better specs but they are also expensive than the genies.
Can you please give there price too of this paradigm and q acoustics you mentioned.

The genie after negotiation will be for 50k.
More comments are welcome.
Thanks

Paradigm 110 is 42 to 44k / QA 1010 package retails around 50k

I think the Genie has been discontinued!

ya it is discontinued by mordaunt short but some of them are available with the dealers.only few are left.that is why some discount is also available but not a very heavy one.
i need more suggestions guys.

Why not audition the Wharfedale Moviestar 70+, available in Delhi ?

It is one of the few which is agreeably excellent for music as well as movies! Should be available @ 25 - 30 k.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back