Choppy Video frames when playong movie through USB on Panasonic 2014 series

akush

Hi All,

While watching downloaded movies on my new Panasonic 50" 3D TV through USB, I am observing certain frame jitter or say choppy.
The movie file format is 1080p, mp4 or MKV files.
While there is no issue with the audio jitter or any sync issue, its just that...lets say that when the movie camera or scene is panning horizontally I see certain frames being choppy.
I have tried different USB drives, SANDISK and WD 2TB USB 3.0.
The same movie is playing fine on my ASUS Tab or Phone. No frame distortion or Jitter or choppiness.
I have tested playing Blu ray movie through Samsung blu ray player, all seems to be good. So I know there is no issue with the TV.
But could be some setting on the menu which needs to be checked or the File format or anything related to the frame / reframe rate.
I hope I was able to get the issue statement clear here. Any suggestion on what may be the cause?

Hmm....Not sure bout any TV, but in my BDP, it happens only when i turn on the forced 24 frames per second playback option. So even if original source does not have, it does something to the source to output 24 FPS. this option causes exactly the same problem- motion jitter in panning shots. So i always keep it turned off. Just check of there is anything like that on ur TV.

Hmm....Not sure bout any TV, but in my BDP, it happens only when i turn on the forced 24 frames per second playback option. So even if original source does not have, it does something to the source to output 24 FPS. this option causes exactly the same problem- motion jitter in panning shots. So i always keep it turned off. Just check of there is anything like that on ur TV.

Thanks for the input, I will check on the Picture Settings...I think I saw some setting where it saud "Overscan" or something...
but whatever I have explored so far in the picture menu, it did not had any upfront setting to control frame rates....

BTW the TV model is Panasonic, TH-50AS670D.

Hi All,

While watching downloaded movies on my new Panasonic 50" 3D TV through USB, I am observing certain frame jitter or say choppy.
The movie file format is 1080p, mp4 or MKV files.
While there is no issue with the audio jitter or any sync issue, its just that...lets say that when the movie camera or scene is panning horizontally I see certain frames being choppy.
I have tried different USB drives, SANDISK and WD 2TB USB 3.0.
The same movie is playing fine on my ASUS Tab or Phone. No frame distortion or Jitter or choppiness.
I have tested playing Blu ray movie through Samsung blu ray player, all seems to be good. So I know there is no issue with the TV.
But could be some setting on the menu which needs to be checked or the File format or anything related to the frame / reframe rate.
I hope I was able to get the issue statement clear here. Any suggestion on what may be the cause?

Hi, not just your TV. All Leds have this problem. All the panning shots have this issue In the LEDS. Heck, even if you watch those scenes in theater you will see the same effect in digital projectors.

Btw, what is the native refresh rate of your panel ? Also try using the Motion flow/Clear motion rate or what ever interpolation technique in your TV.

to understand better why this happens, please check the following link.

What is Motion Blur, Judder reduction, Motion Lag and Game Lag?
60Hz vs. 120Hz vs. 240Hz vs. 480Hz - LCD Response Rate

This is the reason I bough a TV specifically with 200 HZ native refresh rate panel and interpolated rate of 800 Hz with backlight scanning.

Try modifying the motion smoothening setting in the following menu and provide feedback.

P1090674-motion-smoother.jpg

This is my Panasonic model TH 50AS670D...the feature list says 1200Hz Backlight Scanning Intelligent Frame Creation.Thats the reason I went for this model as compared to AS630 or 610 which had only 100Hz.
For some reason i am unable to view motion smoother option in picture menu. What i have is...Noise REDUCTION, MPEG REMASTER, INTELLIGENT FRAME CREATION. For some reason ADVANCE option is grayed out. Trying to explore how to enable it and see if can see that option.

This is my Panasonic model TH 50AS670D...the feature list says 1200Hz Backlight Scanning Intelligent Frame Creation.Thats the reason I went for this model as compared to AS630 or 610 which had only 100Hz.
For some reason i am unable to view motion smoother option in picture menu. What i have is...Noise REDUCTION, MPEG REMASTER, INTELLIGENT FRAME CREATION. For some reason ADVANCE option is grayed out. Trying to explore how to enable it and see if can see that option.

What is the picture mode you are using ? Please keep the picture mode to General or say cinema and try the advanced options. In Certain picture modes, the advanced options are greyed out. Like in Game mode Etc.

Also, the settings you do for one source, stays to that particular source only. At least in my TV. ie if you want different custom settings for STB and USB source, it can be tuned once and the TV remembers it.

Ensure you have some General picture mode and try again.

P1090678-picture-mode.jpg

BTW which TV you have?

950A :eek:hyeah:

i think, "INTELLIGENT FRAME CREATION" might do what motion smoother can

@gurujee...Yepp ... i have disabled it and tried watching the same clip...i believe i saw some level of improvement after turning that off. Still some judder does pops up..

Any improvement on the picture quality. I am thinking of buying the 55AS670 model. Can you brief up on the other options of this model. Since I am buying this to watch movies I am interested to know about your expierence

I am inclined to say YES. There are other factors to be considered, the downloaded movie file format (should not be an issue), the frame rate and other technical parameters...after tweaking the settings for the downloaded files or say playing through USB picture settings, I did see a difference with almost no jutter or choppy frames. Watched downloaded Avatar 3D...it played well. The colors on this model or say series are more natural. Thats my view and opinion. Just one note on techs visiting from service center for demo....they are not good. Nothing more to add.

One more...if you play movies through proper Bluray player then you wont get any such jutter issues. It will be awesome :).

One more...if you play movies through proper Bluray player then you wont get any such jutter issues. It will be awesome :).

Nope. Sorry to burst your bubble.You will still get it...Its inherent to LCDs. The only thing you will reduce is the strain of the TV in decoding the format.

Ohkay...thanks for the input. Yet to do that test...
About the dark shades at the corners...so thats also common to all LCDs?

Ohkay...thanks for the input. Yet to do that test...
About the dark shades at the corners...so thats also common to all LCDs?

Certain degree of varying brightness across the screen is to be noticed. But I am yet to see an LCD which is dark in corners. On the contrary, the TVs I have seen are bright in corners(flashing)

Can you post some pics ? Please download some Black, White, Various shades of Grey HD pics and view them in your TV. You can also use calibration slides to calibrate the TV. It will help to some extent.

Flashing and clouding will be visible when you are viewing a dark scene or dark picture in dark and DSE will be visible when you are seeing a white screen.

I am not sure whether your TV is BACK LIT or EDGE LIT. But until now, all currently generations LCD Tvs are prone to varying amount of Flashing, clouding and DSE or Grey uniformity variations. No TV panel will be perfect and will have at least any one of the above problem.

My Tv has Clouding and Minor DSE. But its visible only during total dark scenes and when drowsing respectively.

Last edited:
Its not completely dark... I would say lightest shade of grey...and only visible if there is an ad with white background. I have not played or say tried advanced menu to adjust picture etc. Though I will explore and test with some calibration images as soon as I get some spare time. I think this one is a LED backlit.

Its not completely dark... I would say lightest shade of grey...and only visible if there is an ad with white background. I have not played or say tried advanced menu to adjust picture etc. Though I will explore and test with some calibration images as soon as I get some spare time. I think this one is a LED backlit.

If its white, then load a complete white picture and view it, I think you are referring to DSE as corners being dark I guess.

Will test this out and share a snapshot of my unit on how it looks. Thanks for the article. I hope DSE is not so bad on panasonic.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back