compatibility of Onkyo TX NR 686 with Taga Harmony 606SE

grk

Hi! All

Iam a novice with regard to home theater stuff. Need suggestions and inputs

Iam planning to buy Onkyo TX NR 686 from USA. The specs Onkyo state that compatible with 4 ohms speakers. Where as Taga Harmony are 6 ohms. Are they compatible?

In addition need inputs regarding Onkyo SKH 410 Atmos speakers
regards

You can add Polk rc-60i ceiling instead onkyo skh modules unless you cant use Ceiling modules you can go with onkyo and little bit moderate ones if you have a budget elac and Dali

You can consider Taga harmony in-ceiling speakers to match the floor level speakers.

Please note that Taga 606 SE is a 5.0 speaker package, you need to buy subwoofer separately.

I wouldn't recommend buying Receiver from US, firstly you will need a step down transformer to convert voltage to 110.
You may not get support in India, or the service center may charge more or you will have to look at unauthorized service centers

Onkyo purchased Pioneer. Recently D&M Holdings (owners of Denon and Marantz) purchased Onkyo. So the future roadmap of Onkyo receivers are not clear.

I recommend buying Denon or Marantz or Yamaha receivers locally

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 11.19.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 11.19.30 PM.png
    587.7 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the suggestions
The price difference between India and USA is huge.
I have got the AVR for 250$. With regards to warranty , yes it's risk one has to take while buying from outside. Iam hopeful that it lasts more than a year( official warranty in India)
The room size is only 10' X 15' and i do not want to fix ceiling speakers right now as it is an apartment
Thinking of buying Yamaha Sub locally along with Taga.
Onkyo Atmos is also damn cheaper is USA. almost 1/3 price.

Last edited:
Recently D&M Holdings (owners of Denon and Marantz) purchased Onkyo. So the future roadmap of Onkyo receivers are not clear.

I think the acquisition didn't go thru.. https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-terminates-acquisition-of-pioneer-onkyo

The price difference between India and USA is huge.

Onkyo Atmos is also damn cheaper is USA. almost 1/3 price.

US IS the place to buy hi-fi at pretty cheap prices..

I have got the AVR for 250$. With regards to warranty , yes it's risk one has to take while buying from outside. Iam hopeful that it lasts more than a year( official warranty in India)

Just incase some issue with AVR pops-up in the future, retain the original bill.. Onkyo India would like to see if you have purchased from any of their international distributor, and if so they accept for servicing only after checking the bill.. Happened to me.. Keep the bill handy..

I think the acquisition didn't go thru.. https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-terminates-acquisition-of-pioneer-onkyo
US IS the place to buy hi-fi at pretty cheap prices..
Just incase some issue with AVR pops-up in the future, retain the original bill.. Onkyo India would like to see if you have purchased from any of their international distributor, and if so they accept for servicing only after checking the bill.. Happened to me.. Keep the bill handy..

Thanks for the reply
Bought it from Best buy during black friday sale. Its yet to reach India. Will be reaching around December 2019/January 2020. It will be with original bill as it has to go through customs.

Same AVR quoted price in India is 67K.

Thought of buying speakers also. Resisted due to weight and customs:D

Any idea about internal power selector switch in Onkyo AVR's ( 110V/230V)

Any Suggestions about good step down transformer manufacturer

Hi,

I got onkyo tx nr686 from the US and got it rewired from Gurgaon. So, it works with indian power specification. But due to the frequency difference there is a very very low hum that you can feel when nothing is playing.

Pulkit

Hi,

I got onkyo tx nr686 from the US and got it rewired from Gurgaon. So, it works with indian power specification. But due to the frequency difference there is a very very low hum that you can feel when nothing is playing.

Pulkit
I think it is a risk to tinker with the internals on a new equipment, instead step down transformer should be a safe bet.

How much did it cost and pls share some details of what exactly was the modification?
Hi,

Think it was around 3-4k. I didn't actually ask him what he did. But he told me step down or rewire. He told me both would bring in a little hum. I chose rewiring to save space.

Any good brand for step down transformer?

What should be the ideal frequency range for a sub woofer( minimum and maximum)

Any idea of the quality of monoprice sub woofers

Thanks for the reply
Bought it from Best buy during black friday sale. Its yet to reach India. Will be reaching around December 2019/January 2020. It will be with original bill as it has to go through customs.

Same AVR quoted price in India is 67K.

Thought of buying speakers also. Resisted due to weight and customs:D

Any idea about internal power selector switch in Onkyo AVR's ( 110V/230V)

Any Suggestions about good step down transformer manufacturer
Go with Maxine step down transformer... my Step down works still for more than 8 years..

Hi,

Think it was around 3-4k. I didn't actually ask him what he did. But he told me step down or rewire. He told me both would bring in a little hum. I chose rewiring to save space.
With step down transformer i never heard hum sound .. purchased amp from USA..
Keep in mind the wattage also matches your input voltage as per your amp specifications...

When i purchased an step down first time , it was not matching wattage requirements of my avr.. so my amp used to trip sometimes or have heard some wierd sound from speakers..etc. then i went ans checked with my amp manual and got it replaced with corrrect step down,. Then it works like a charm..no issues.

Received the AVR.
Bought mediabridge 14AWG OFC cable from USA. 100' price is around 35$.

Monoprice gold plated banana plugs 20 pairs @ 24$

Purchased 1.5kv Maxine isolation stepdown transformer for 8071/- with proper GST bill in Bangalore

Coming speakers taga 606 SE not available with hifimart right now

Received the AVR.
Bought mediabridge 14AWG OFC cable from USA. 100' price is around 35$.

Monoprice gold plated banana plugs 20 pairs @ 24$

Purchased 1.5kv Maxine isolation stepdown transformer for 8071/- with proper GST bill in Bangalore

Coming speakers taga 606 SE not available with hifimart right now
Try Taga Harmony 606E from Next Hifi. I got good prices on Platinum series.

AV Zone Delhi is based in Chitranjan Park. I had a talk today regarding my own requirements. They seem to work across India including Bangalore Hyd. etc.

The father (Sanjeev Arora) and son (Pratham Arora) seemed very nice to talk to and were not pushy at all, gave good time on phone and explained. They are distributors in North India for some big brands including Onkyo. Decent pricing. Can give you their personal nos. if you want.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back