Computer audio output through home theater speakers

Rdoc

I recently built my own desktop which has motherboard 5.1 speaker outputs and a video card w/ a HDMI out. I have a flat panel LCD TV w/ three HDMI inputs. I also have a five year old home theater by philips that only has one HDMI output that goes to my TV, and no HDMI input. Right now, computer HDMI goes out goes to my TV, and audio then goes out of the TV to the home theater via TV stereo out. The only way to listen to 5.1 movie or music output from my computer is with the TV on (TV volume all the way off), set to computer HDMI in, then via stereo out to the home theater. By the way, I do get 5.1 sound when playing movies on the computer. Is there a switching system that can change speaker input from home theater outputs to computer 5.1 outputs? Or is there a better way to configure my system given the limitations of my home theater system( which I cannot afford to replace right now)? I may have worded this somewhat awkwardly and for that I apologize.

Last edited:
Just connect the 5.1 outputs of the motherboard directly to the hometheater rca inputs(assuming there is one) and HDMI from motherboard to tv. Mute the tv and listen directly from HT.

Default sound device should be realtek (motherboard output).

Check the Home Theater specs. If it has a SPDIF coaxial or optical input then connecting the PC is very easy.

5.1 out on your computer motherboard is digital or is it analogue? Does your home theater have digital inputs? Your best bet is to see if your home theater has digital inputs and computer a digital output. If that's the case, let the TV remain connected as is and just use a 3.5 mono to RCA cable to hook up your computer motherboard's digital out to digital input on your home theater.

If you have trouble explaining what you have, just take two clear pictures of back sides of your computer and home theater. It will easily allow us to know what you have and how best you could use it.

You may not get true 5.1 sound from Philips HTiB unless it has digital input.
Which is the Philips system? Model no?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back