Computer Speakers

jjoyz

I had been using an old sony hifi system with my computer until it broke down..So I'm in the search for new computer speakers..
Budget is 20-25k
Music - Rock and metal ranging from early 80s to more modern stuff
I have a smallish room..
I'm confused whether to go for active speakers say the
A5 or the
Aktimate Mini(If I can stretch my budget..although I don't know how much it sells for now)

OR take the other route (amp + bookshelves) that can fit within my budget say Norge + wharfedale...

Although room is small but space is not a problem..I need what will sound the best..for me in my budget..
It'll be used for 80% music and 20% movies and games..
Looking for a stereo setup..

Currently I use the nuforce uDAC and the ATH M50 headphones for my music..
I like the warm sounding signature of my headphones..
Not looking for a new dac..might upgrade in future but not now..

I mostly have mp3's ranging from 192kbps to 320kbps and i like loud music
Kindly suggest what would be best..I might be going to Delhi this monday so will visit Bass n Treble in Dwarka if I decide to go for the amp + bookshelves

Also, kindly suggest some more setups within my budget

I know this might have been answered before(I've searched) but I couldnt decide so I made a new thread..

I hope I didnt miss out any required information..Thank you all :)

Yes, there are lots of threads on speakers for computer systems, but I think when we talk about computer speakers we visualise sitting at a desk, with speakers on the desk. If you are wanting to use your speakers as more general room-filling speakers, then it maybe becomes a bit less relevant that the computer is your source.

Bass and treble at Dwarka might be closed, that is what I was told by Sumit of their Gurgaon showroom,therefore visit their Gurgaon showroom

Theres a new distributor for Aktimate, I have posted their details in the main Aktimate threads and I think they have the micro for 24k or so. Its worth a look

Thank you all for the replies..
@ Thad E Ginathom I will be using the speakers both for 'sitting on a desk' and for general room filling purpose..
@musicbee yes, the A5 are definitely a great option..still confused whether to go for these or take the other route(amp+bookshelves) *if* I can increase my budget..
@ umeshdhingra thanks for the information..I contacted Bass n Treble and they too suggested that I visit their Gurgaon store
@ bottle..Ya the minis are not in stock but the micros are available..I'll keep those in mind

@ jjoyz: venkatesh ramaswamy [[email protected]] quoted me Rs. 27k for micro and offered me discounted price of Rs. 24k for the same. Since it is in Bangalore so audition would be a problem.

I don't know which one fares better : Aktimate Micro or A5.

Have you considered this: Scansonic MiniMate Hi-Fi System

I am yet to read some reviews about the same.

@musicbee yes, the A5 are definitely a great option..still confused whether to go for these or take the other route(amp+bookshelves) *if* I can increase my budget..

If you can increase the budget (or save up) then amp + BS/FS is always a better option. But this hobby has no end to it. You will probably look to upgrade again in a year.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back