Confessions of a reviewer

Santy

Interesting read...
6moons industry features: 2L

Is stereo adequate to recreate the same experience of being in the centre of such a performance?
2L-090A_souvenir_4.jpg

(picture from the same article)

Should we really discard a 5 or 7 channel recording which might be able to give the experience of being in the centre of such a performance:
Aao Balma - A.R Rahman, Padmabhushan Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan - Coke Studio @ MTV Season 3 - YouTube

stage_zpsb67e677b.jpg

Having said that, I think I understand that not many of the audience would get to occupy such a central listening position of such a stage. Music I suppose has to come from the front in most performances; may be that's the reason multi-channel SACD or DVD-A did not gain popularity, other reasons being complications in mastering and expensive to have same quality multi channel gear viz-a-viz two channel.

A good read though.

I have actually sat in the center of the an orchestra (Chicago Philharmonic..) during a workshop at an offsite..and i rpefer a soundstage in the front.

thats why bot a headphone and a 5.1 music feels very uncomfortable. For Music, I definitely prefer a not so great soundstage in front to a good soundstage around :)

In both cases you will never get a grasp of what is happening if sit in the center. If you do, the instruments in the same line as your ears will be loud and the rest will sound diffuse in comparison.

A seat in the front is the best for a balanced sound.

In the first picture, a micro phone which is omni directional will be used to record and they will capture the sound in a balanced way.

However, what sounds best ( multi or stereo) depends how it is recorded. In theory multi-channel can be used very effectively to record and reproduce. But in practice, there are many demons to overcome if you do multi-channel.

Love this comment :

" Since hifi has progressed from monophonic to stereophonic playback, audiophiles have been pursuing their own fantasized sonic illusion. It has come to a state where this illusion is so real that in some peoples mind it has actually replaced the real thing. When fake is prettier than real, most people take it for real. And a stereo illusion can be so real that you become totally immersed in the music it has re-packaged. On one condition you must be seated in the so-called throne position. A few inches outside the sweet spot will throw off the balance of golden hifi rules and the music becomes unlistenable. "

I too prefer a laid back 3D soundstage infront of me, rather than all around me.
I have few multi-channel hi-resolution audio files (very few) and I don't really enjoy the multi-channel as compared to their 2-channel counterparts.

So, music for me is still 2-channel stereo.

Back