Confused which one to buy between QLED, OLED and LED TV

bitanshudas

Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a new TV this year and my budget is around 1.5 L. I am currently using an iffalcon K2A 55" LED TV and I am looking to upgrade. After weeks of research I have narrowed down to 4 TVs
1. Samsung Q80R ( QLED 2019 model, price around 1.8L)
2. LG OLED C8 (2018 model, price around 1.4L)
3. Sony X900F (2018 model, 1.2L)
4. Sony A8F (2018 model, 1.8L)

I use my TV for mainly : 1. watching Netflix and other OTTs
2. Gaming
3. Watching Sports

I am a little confused on buying an OLED since i watch hours of sports (cricket and football mainly) at a stretch and OLEDs are susceptible to burn in in case of static images (the scoreboad ticker or the channel logo).
I thought Q80R was best for my usage but then its price is almost same as Sony A8F which is a great TV (and probably my dream OLED TV). Also the prices I mentioned are from Amazon. Are the prices generally cheaper in retail stores?
Also what is the best time to buy TV when the prices are least (both online and retail)?

If you are into gaming, long hours of sports and news, stay away from OLEDs.
While nothing may happen to the TV itself, you'll go mad worrying about burn-in.
Diwali is the best time to buy TV, if you can wait.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a new TV this year and my budget is around 1.5 L. I am currently using an iffalcon K2A 55" LED TV and I am looking to upgrade. After weeks of research I have narrowed down to 4 TVs

I use my TV for mainly : 1. watching Netflix and other OTTs
2. Gaming
3. Watching Sports

I am a little confused on buying an OLED since i watch hours of sports (cricket and football mainly) at a stretch and OLEDs are susceptible to burn in in case of static images (the scoreboad ticker or the channel logo).
I thought Q80R was best for my usage but then its price is almost same as Sony A8F which is a great TV (and probably my dream OLED TV). Also the prices I mentioned are from Amazon. Are the prices generally cheaper in retail stores?
Also what is the best time to buy TV when the prices are least (both online and retail)?
I recently bought an OLED and am very satisfied. But seeing your use case you could look at the Q80R or x900f (vfm) . Retail stores are cheaper , just play your cards right.
Visit 2-3 stores to get the best price.

Unless your source is pristine 4k discs, don't bother. Just pick up what suits your budget. I have an OLED, I can see critical differences only with immaculate 4k transfers like Planet Earth 2. If your staple viewing is sitcoms and the like, just pick up a something that fits your budget.

Unless your source is pristine 4k discs, don't bother. Just pick up what suits your budget. I have an OLED, I can see critical differences only with immaculate 4k transfers like Planet Earth 2. If your staple viewing is sitcoms and the like, just pick up a something that fits your budget.
A very honest opinion. We hardly use the things we buy, to their fullest extent. And yet, we need the best there is.

Hi

As everyone said stay away from OLED. I had gone to buy Sony A8F with knowledge of burn in issue but on the spot changed my mind and bought Sony 9000F. It's a very good product. Very good color and contrast. As far as upscaling, I have not seen any upscaling being done to SD content. 4k and HD are nice to view. Common issue with all the flat screen tvs baring Sony OLEDs with additional woofers, all suffer from poor sound re production.

To overcome this I am using Sony ST 5000 soundbar and for me this is unbeatable combo.

Go for QLED or LED at the moment until OLED is rationalized.

Showroom floor is not the ideal place to compare, but we don’t have any other options. I watch a lot of 4K disc content as well as Netflix and the HDR/Dolby Vision make you love the OLED. The reference quality discs have jaw dropping PQ.
Have heard great reviews about x900f as well.

If you are into gaming, long hours of sports and news, stay away from OLEDs.
While nothing may happen to the TV itself, you'll go mad worrying about burn-in.
Diwali is the best time to buy TV, if you can wait.
Cheers,
Raghu
I played PUBG xbox one for the last 6 months 2 hours almost everyday on my B7 oled. The game has HUD and lot of other static elements. But the tv is used by my wife and me for watching Netflix also every other day for some series. The burn in occurs if watch only the same contents without changing it for months.

Gaming on it is really good in game mode with very little input lag compared to most TVs at its price. I considered this also while buying because I wanted to game on a bigger screen like I used to on my monitor.

For a short while I had a ps4 slim and even with non hdr games the contrast makes some games super stunning on it. For example uncharted 4s opening sequence (will be there on youtube for sure) makes us feel we are inside the game. I played the same on a lgs 2018 model 49 inch lcd, not sure the model and it was relatively nowhere comparable to the oled. Everything was washed out. OLED can produce more shadow details in grey but color accuracy is not good as a oled. If u want absolutely neutral color on a display as possible, oled now or wait for micro led (need to see how it performs)

I played PUBG xbox one for the last 6 months 2 hours almost everyday on my B7 oled. The game has HUD and lot of other static elements. But the tv is used by my wife and me for watching Netflix also every other day for some series. The burn in occurs if watch only the same contents without changing it for months.

Gaming on it is really good in game mode with very little input lag compared to most TVs at its price. I considered this also while buying because I wanted to game on a bigger screen like I used to on my monitor.

For a short while I had a ps4 slim and even with non hdr games the contrast makes some games super stunning on it. For example uncharted 4s opening sequence (will be there on youtube for sure) makes us feel we are inside the game. I played the same on a lgs 2018 model 49 inch lcd, not sure the model and it was relatively nowhere comparable to the oled. Everything was washed out. OLED can produce more shadow details in grey but color accuracy is not good as a oled. If u want absolutely neutral color on a display as possible, oled now or wait for micro led (need to see how it performs)
How is the upscaling of SD content on B7?

Has anyone watched GOT battle of winterfell episode on OLED ? Hows the brightness in that episode?

I have read that for HDR , 1000 nits brightness is required but the OLEDs hv 700 nits max brightness only ?

Hi

As everyone said stay away from OLED. I had gone to buy Sony A8F with knowledge of burn in issue but on the spot changed my mind and bought Sony 9000F. It's a very good product. Very good color and contrast. As far as upscaling, I have not seen any upscaling being done to SD content. 4k and HD are nice to view. Common issue with all the flat screen tvs baring Sony OLEDs with additional woofers, all suffer from poor sound re production.

To overcome this I am using Sony ST 5000 soundbar and for me this is unbeatable combo.

Go for QLED or LED at the moment until OLED is rationalized.
How is the upscaling of SD content on B7?
I don't have a setup box. I use it only for gaming, blu Ray's and streaming services like Netflix and Amazon prime. So no idea if anything is getting upscaled here.

I don't have a setup box. I use it only for gaming, blu Ray's and streaming services like Netflix and Amazon prime. So no idea if anything is getting upscaled here.
Well most of the time, i dont watch SD content too. Just looking at upscaling, gives the idea of the processor of the TV. So upscaling isnt a necessity but a luxury to have.

And anyways, any TV i buy will be better at anything than my current one (using iffalcon k2a currently)

Also has anyone compared the picture quality between C8 and B8? C8 is 15-20k expensive and has better processor (A9 compared to A7)

Has anyone watched GOT battle of winterfell episode on OLED ? Hows the brightness in that episode?

I have read that for HDR , 1000 nits brightness is required but the OLEDs hv 700 nits max brightness only ?
1000 nits is standard but to say that means the OLED lights must be set to 100 for that. In my dark room I never could watch anything above 30 percent of its peak right ess. Once in a while a blast of light is ok, but watching hdr continuously gives me a headache.

With oled, the point at which the light starts matter.

If u look at a light source in a perfect dark room and in a slightly lighted room which one would be more poping? The OLED light pops more in every situation. Unless u have very very a bright room almost like watching it outdoors 1000 nits is not much of a criteria other than for marketing.

1000 nits is standard but to say that means the OLED lights must be set to 100 for that. In my dark room I never could watch anything above 30 percent of its peak right ess. Once in a while a blast of light is ok, but watching hdr continuously gives me a headache.

With oled, the point at which the light starts matter.

If u look at a light source in a perfect dark room and in a slightly lighted room which one would be more poping? The OLED light pops more in every situation. Unless u have very very a bright room almost like watching it outdoors 1000 nits is not much of a criteria other than for marketing.
Thanks. Thats a great info

Also has anyone compared the picture quality between C8 and B8? C8 is 15-20k expensive and has better processor (A9 compared to A7)
There is a difference between my b7 and b8 not sure between b8 and c8. Between b7 and c7 the motion processing is ebttered.

When I bought mine, the difference between b7 and c7 was the sound. On pic quality ground there were absolutely same.

X900F is out of stock everywhere. The newer 2019 model is X9500G which is available for around 1.6K.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back