Confused - Yamaha 475 from Canada and more.....

locopoco

Hi All,

I am a newbie (and a complete novice).... both to the forum and to the audiophile genre.

I have been contemplating for some time to have a better listening experience but was always confused on where to start.

Discovered hifi vision and was completely blown by the depth of knowledge of the members. I guess it is the place where i can get the best advice.

Requirement: Actually i listen to a bit of everything - old Hindi Songs, new ones, English pop, some rock n gazals.

My living room is about 150sqft, but i may move onto a bigger apartment with the living room size of abt 300sqft.

Due to budgetary constraints (and since the room size is also small) - i am thinking of getting bookshelves with an av receiver.

Now, the urgency is that I am in Canada and would be coming back next tuesday. I am thinking of picking a AV receiver from Canada.

I am considering the Yamaha 475 - which is available for $400 here. I will have to buy a step down transformer with that. I am a little wary of the transformer stuff. D

Do you think it makes sense?

I am confused on the bookshelves - would love to have your suggestions.

Would really love to hear your views on the receiver and suggestions on bookshelves.....however, I have only 3-4 days to make my purchase and hence would be grateful for a fast response.

Thnx in advance, guys !!

I wouldn't suggest you to buy AVR from Canada, the price is good but there will be warranty issues in India if any. You can buy RX-V473 @31K in India, 475 is costing almost same with supply from Canada. So it's all up to you what you prefer.

Hi Prepress,

I guess you are right...... I am also in two minds on picking up an AVR from Canada.

I reckon, will pick up the avr from Mumbai only.

My other confusion is regarding the overall set - up I am contemplating.

Will bookshelves go well.....i mean, can i and should i ignore the sub - my usage is almost like 100% music, atleast for now. Ideally with the AVR + speaker set-up, i do not want to cross the 40 - 45k budget.

Which bookshelves will go well - i have heard polk(RTIA1 for 17k) & kef in Mumbai (was frankly very impressed with KEF although they retailed for 27k)

I have heard good things about wharfedale diamond 10.1.

Should I look at getting a older model avr and better speakers?

Mumbai members,

Can you pl suggest me shops where i can hear and experience avrs and speaker set-ups.

cheers,

locopoco

Hi Prepress,

I guess you are right...... I am also in two minds on picking up an AVR from Canada.

I reckon, will pick up the avr from Mumbai only.

My other confusion is regarding the overall set - up I am contemplating.

Will bookshelves go well.....i mean, can i and should i ignore the sub - my usage is almost like 100% music, atleast for now. Ideally with the AVR + speaker set-up, i do not want to cross the 40 - 45k budget.

Which bookshelves will go well - i have heard polk(RTIA1 for 17k) & kef in Mumbai (was frankly very impressed with KEF although they retailed for 27k)

I have heard good things about wharfedale diamond 10.1.

Should I look at getting a older model avr and better speakers?

Mumbai members,

Can you pl suggest me shops where i can hear and experience avrs and speaker set-ups.

cheers,

locopoco

If your usage is 100% music and that too with only two front speakers an AVR is an absolute NO. You should consider buying the 475 AVR only if you plan to switch to a 5.1 surround system at a future date. Else a stereo Amp will give you better Sound quality compared to an AVR for the same cost.

Look for a stereo Amplifier and yes good Book shelves will suffice for a 150 Sq Ft room if you have budgetary constraints.

I am not sure about the Canadian market but some of the equipment is available at 30 to 40% discount in the USA when you compare with the Indian prices. You need to make a choice based on the equipment shortlisted by you.

+1, Also if you are 100% in Music then you should buy Integrated Amplifier instead of AVR. But if you want Movies:Music both then you can consider for AVR.
With bookshelf speakers you will need subwoofer (now or later), or you can go with good Floor standers + Integrated Amp if you increase your budget a bit.

If your usage is 100% music and that too with only two front speakers an AVR is an absolute NO. You should consider buying the 475 AVR only if you plan to switch to a 5.1 surround system at a future date. Else a stereo Amp will give you better Sound quality compared to an AVR for the same cost.

Look for a stereo Amplifier and yes good Book shelves will suffice for a 150 Sq Ft room if you have budgetary constraints.

I am not sure about the Canadian market but some of the equipment is available at 30 to 40% discount in the USA when you compare with the Indian prices. You need to make a choice based on the equipment shortlisted by you.

Thanx guys for your response....

To begin with, it will be mostly music, but movies will definitely follow albeit a bit later. That is why I was more keen on an avr.

Canada is not as friendly as USA in terms of pricing though definitely much better than India. However, with their taxes and having to buy a step down voltage transformer somehow decreases their desirability. For instance, a Denon 1513 retails for $250...... Now about 12 percent tax plus another 2k INR odd for the transformer and warranty/guarantee issues - I thought it better to buy an avr from India only.

I am planning a sub at a later date when money allows and frankly I thought for a 150sqft room, and music use, I could ignore the sub for the moment.

I am not sure if I am thinking right...... Would love to hear your views.

For my requirements, between floor standing and bookshelves, which would be a better choice....can you pl recommend some speaker set - ups.

Cheers,

Locopoco

Since you are planning to upgrade from a 2.0 set up to am 5.1 at a later date you can start with an AVR and book shelf speakers. You can always shift the BS to surround and add towers to the front.

Since you are in Mumbai you will have plenty of options to audition.

Some good speakers

1) Aviano 2 - BS
2) Mezzo 2 BS
3) Tannoy Mercury V1 BS
4) KEF Q300
5)Dali - ikon / sensor/ lector
6) PSB image
7) Tannoy V 1 or DC
8) q acoustic 20

Last edited:
mZjt

Guys,

Thanks for your advice...... I have been contemplating and reading a lot of other threads. Frankly, I am sorta more confused than ever.

I figure, my usage is going to be about 80 percent music and rest movies....I am not that big a movie buff and hence am doing a rethink on the avr.

Jagdish and other members had suggested going in for a stereo amp....my thought is as long as the Stereo amp delivers a superior listening experience and an acceptable movie experience, I am perfectly cool with that.

Now, whatever research I did was on avrs....my knowledge on stereo amps is extremely limited. So, again some questions:

1. Pl suggest some good amplifiers? - I am looking at playing music primarily from my I-pod and phone/USB. Would prefer an amp with Bluetooth and wireless streaming capabilities.

2. What is the speaker set- up that I should look at......... I understand in an 5.1 avr one finally has to add the surrounds and sub etc.....for an amp, my understanding is I would need only a L & R.....I ain't sure on the sub - would request enlightenment from the members.

I would be extremely happy if I can squeeze the entire amp + speaker setup in 40k.....

Guess, I should change the subject of this thread.....am flying down tomorrow and no longer looking at Yamaha 475 :)

Cheers,

Locopoco

Hi

I was facing a similar dilemma, i want a similar setup for a smaller room in the same price range. When i went out and auditioned a few systems i realized that nothing can compare to a good stereo amp, bookshelves and a good DAC, taking into account your music source is good, like flacs or audio cds(if quality of sound is what you are looking for).

i personally liked the nad 315bee and psb alpha b1 combo as i like a warmer sound.
the marantz 5004 or 6004 are also good amps but i still havent found a great speaker set for them.

try out a couple of combinations and see what works for you.
if your not a big movie buff u can see movies on such a setup or headphones or could add on a subwoofer later on if u require one.

+1 NAD and Marantz Amps are rated highly in the budget range.

An amp with a sub out will be a good option if you plan to add sub later for movies.

Do not look for blue tooth/ streaming capabilities in an Amp. For that you will have to get a separate media player/ airport express
Also a DAC is required if you want good sound quality.

However managing all the above with in 50 k might be difficult.

If you are open to pre owned and have the time and patience you get good buying opportunities in the for sale section of this forum

me too.I would be extremely happy if I can squeeze the entire amp + speaker setup in 40k
mZjt

Thanx Raghav & Jagdish.....

Couple of questions:

1.) Do i require a DAC with a stereo amp? Would it not be better to go with the speakers and amp and later add the DAC depending on need and budget.

Raghav, in your experience - how much has been the impact of DAC on the SQ.

2.) Jagdish, the basic idea behind looking for an amp with wireless streaming capability (inbuilt or supported) was to be future proof. Right now, i will not be using it. But in future, for steaming music or movies - i thought an amp which has this capability would be preferable.

I have just come back to Mumbai. Plan to audition some amp and speakers over the next couple of weeks.

Whatever i have read here on HFV, the general view has been to first identify the speakers and then go for the amp. I am not so sure.....should I first identify speakers?

cheers,

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back