Connecting Rythmik L12 with stereo power amplifier

amit_s

Hi,

I am planning to add Rythmik L12 sub in my stereo setup, can it be connected with speaker level output of power amp just like REL subs? I see Line-in RCA terminals on it back but not sure of there use. What is the best way to integrate it?

Hi,

I am planning to add Rythmik L12 sub in my stereo setup, can it be connected with speaker level output of power amp just like REL subs? I see Line-in RCA terminals on it back but not sure of there use. What is the best way to integrate it?
your amp should have preouts to connect to the subwoofer.

Hi,

Post a pic of the back plate. FMs can then suggest what is the best method.
Before this, read up the manual and check if hi-level/speaker-level connect is even present.
Cheers,
Raghu

Line-in RCA terminals on it back but not sure of there use.

They are for what they are supposed to be, to connect line in cables. Does your power amp have a line out for sub? If it does, it should be a straight forward connection with L12.

Find detailed L12 review here :

They are for what they are supposed to be, to connect line in cables. Does your power amp have a line out for sub? If it does, it should be a straight forward connection with L12.

Find detailed L12 review here :

I have a dac connected with single ended RCA cables to my DIY power amp. Power amp is very simple, just RCA in and speaker terminals out.

I had read some articles, especially by REL that high level inputs from speaker terminals provide better integration as there is no delay between signal sent to speakers and subwoofers, so wanted to check if someone has used it with Rythmik and comment on it.

From whatever I read till now, I think Rythmik recommends the other way, that is to connect subwoofer with pre-amp outputs. I guess I will have to split output of dac for amplifier and sub or buy a minidsp.

Talk to Santosh from ProSonics, they are authorised dealer for Rythmik in India. PM me if you need his number.

From your description, it does look like that you need to split the output from dac to get either a preout or line out for Rythmik

Last edited:
Talk to Santosh from ProSonics, they are authorised dealer for Rythmik in India. PM me if you need his number.

From your description, it does look like that you need to split the output from dac to get either a preout or line out for Rythmik
Can you pm me his number?

I have a dac connected with single ended RCA cables to my DIY power amp. Power amp is very simple, just RCA in and speaker terminals out.

I had read some articles, especially by REL that high level inputs from speaker terminals provide better integration as there is no delay between signal sent to speakers and subwoofers, so wanted to check if someone has used it with Rythmik and comment on it.

From whatever I read till now, I think Rythmik recommends the other way, that is to connect subwoofer with pre-amp outputs. I guess I will have to split output of dac for amplifier and sub or buy a minidsp.

Rythmik subwoofers have integration as perfect as high level inputs with LFE/Line-In. below is the technical explanations to clear doubts from Rythmik.

"We don’t have speaker level inputs. We expect the customers to use RCA. There are REL recommendation that speaker level inputs is the best connection method. You can debunk those claims because of several reasons:

1) Amplifiers such as tube amp has low damping factor meaning the amplifier output is very dependent on the speaker impedance of front speakers which is not a constant. That is the reason why tube power amp normally is associated with sloppy bass. In this case use the speaker level inputs also makes our sub sound sloppy.

2) No front speakers want to be labelled as bass-shy or tell customers in straight face that the front speakers need a subwoofer. So there is a common practice to stretch the bass response that is called bump-before-rolloff. If you check the speaker measurement plots of all speakers reviewed by Stereophile, I dare to say 95% of the speakers reviewed by it has this trait. The problem with this is the bass sounds like one-note. It is very exciting only in the first few minutes of listening. The only way to get rid of that is via a crossover/bass management. That can only be done with RCA/XLR connections.

3) When one uses speaker level inputs, the subwoofer plays a very narrow range. When customers adjust the sub level up and down, it only adjust a very small frequency band, not much of an adjustment in practice. If one uses RCA inputs and some crossover or bass management, the sub level adjustment is more effective.

4) Most class-D amps have differential outputs in that black terminal is not true ground. If a customer connects that to speaker level using 2 wires connection, it is going to fry the subwoofer amps.

So in our newer models, we begin to do away with speaker level inputs"

Would like to mention that I had done exactly as in point 4). Class D Nuprime STA9 + Dynaudio M20 BS + SVS SB1000. The 2.1 setup was heavenly to me and did not fry the sub amp. On the same note, I wonder why sub manufacturers do not warn the users about using a class D amp.

Rythmik subwoofers have integration as perfect as high level inputs with LFE/Line-In. below is the technical explanations to clear doubts from Rythmik.
....Most class-D amps have differential outputs in that black terminal is not true ground. If a customer connects that to speaker level using 2 wires connection, it is going to fry the subwoofer amps.
Pls share the source URL or details.

<snip>
"We don’t have speaker level inputs. We expect the customers to use RCA. There are REL recommendation that speaker level inputs is the best connection method. You can debunk those claims because of several reasons:
<snip>

It is surprising that a well known company like Rythmik would openly trash or "debunk" another company's claims.
True or false, I don't know, but that's not how it is, normally. Anyways, each OEM has their space to play in.

Cheers,
Raghu

You can connect the preamp to the sub using a pair of RCA and connect the Sub's HPF out to your power amp, again using another pair of RCA. That's how I'm using mine.

The only drawback I find is, you need to do some level-matching of the sub with speakers whenever you need to increase the speaker volume significantly; like late night listening.

You can connect the preamp to the sub using a pair of RCA and connect the Sub's HPF out to your power amp, again using another pair of RCA. That's how I'm using mine.

The only drawback I find is, you need to do some level-matching of the sub with speakers whenever you need to increase the speaker volume significantly; like late night listening.
I didn't see HPF out in any of the Rythmik L12 pics I found online. Which model you are using?

It is surprising that a well known company like Rythmik would openly trash or "debunk" another company's claims.
True or false, I don't know, but that's not how it is, normally. Anyways, each OEM has their space to play in.

Cheers,
Raghu
I thing the OP said that it was an email conversation and not an open post.

Would like to mention that I had done exactly as in point 4). Class D Nuprime STA9 + Dynaudio M20 BS + SVS SB1000. The 2.1 setup was heavenly to me and did not fry the sub amp. On the same note, I wonder why sub manufacturers do not warn the users about using a class D amp.
When I was using a REL SW with a Class D amp (Primare i32), I was advised by REL on the way to connect the 4 pole output to the amp. If I recall correctly, Class D amps send some Current along with the signal (Voltage?) to the SW. This, over time can damage the SW amplifier circuit and may manifest as a hum, loud pop sounds or a fried silence.
I think there is a YouTube video on this from REL.

I agree, SW manufacturers should warn and guide buyers about this specifically.

if you split ahead of the preamp, you will have level issues. you have to change volume controls independently for the the subs and mains.

If you dont have a pre amp out where you can run a Y cable, your best bet would be to make a padded cable using resistors which taps your loudspeaker out and feeds the input of your amp. the value of the resistors would depend on the output of you amp, impedance of your main speakers and the input sensitivity of the sub amp.

the link above says pretty much the same thing

I have a same situation like you, have a tube IA without sub output and a L12 .
Rythmik tech team recommended a SPEAKER LEVEL to LINE LEVEL ADAPTER/CONVERTER like below;

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back