Convert a LG 2 door refrigerator into a HiFi Rack

mbhangui

Our LG 335 liter refrigerator breathed it's last :sad:, last week. The compressor doesn't start and in few minutes a bi-metallic strip cuts of the supply when it gets hot. The el-cheapo kind of person :eek: I am and not getting anything in exchange, I think it will be a criminal waste of giving this to the local Radhi Wala. So I have taken an exploratory glance at the innards and contemplating if it can be used as an HiFI rack for my music room which I am going to start work on shortly. Following are the pros and cons

Pros
===

1. There is a good silent fan in the freezer section that circulates air between the top and the bottom section. This fan will help in circulating the hot air passed out by the AV equipments :eek:

2. Totally there are 6 sections (two in the freezer) and 4 sections in the bottom section. Each of these section can accommodate an AV equipment.

3. Both the doors can be removed easily (not sure if the doors can be used for something else)

4. By using refrigerator, I will save on buying a hifi rack and will be my contribution towards lessening global warming by using this as a passive device

5. There is a nice sankyo timer (used for defrosting) at the back which I can re-purpose for something.

6. One more nice fan for cooling the copper tubes can be re-purposed for something else.

Cons
====

1. The compressor needs to be removed so that the weight can be considerably lessened. Looks like I will have to break/cut the copper tubes. Not sure how to dispose the refrigerant. Is the refrigerant a gas or liquid.

2. I will have to do some drilling so that i can pass a cable to get electrical power inside

3. Not sure how the whole setup will look like. Any ideas of decorating it?

Guys!! Need your ideas. Is it a totally foolish idea? How can this be pulled off as a good hifi rack?

Last edited:
as far as i remember...you have lot of gear which could be racked up; maynot be a foolish idea..but would certainly need lot of effort and investment i would imagine...like making it acoustically dead, fixing racks, managing cables et al..

as far as i remember...you have lot of gear which could be racked up; maynot be a foolish idea..but would certainly need lot of effort and investment i would imagine...like making it acoustically dead, fixing racks, managing cables et al..

The biggest challenge for me is to remove the compressor. I can cut the copper tubes but that would let the refrigerant escape. Not sure if the refrigerant is liquid or gas at room temperatures. This is a 2000 model and as far as my knowledge goes, manufacturers had stopped using freon gas by that time.

The biggest challenge for me is to remove the compressor. I can cut the copper tubes but that would let the refrigerant escape. Not sure if the refrigerant is liquid or gas at room temperatures. This is a 2000 model and as far as my knowledge goes, manufacturers had stopped using freon gas by that time.

Refrigerant are allways GAS.

The el-cheapo kind of person :eek: I am and not getting anything in exchange, I think it will be a criminal waste of giving this to the local Radhi Wala. So I have taken an exploratory glance at the innards and contemplating if it can be used as an HiFI rack for my music room which I am going to start work on shortly.

I am keen to see the outcome of this Project.

Out here in London, we get to see at least 1 household every single day park a fridge by the side of their dustbin/s on the pavement every night, waiting for London City Council dudes to come & pick it up next morning & be done with it.

London would love to see good use of junked-out stuff back at home for Audio.. :yahoo: .. :clapping:

Local refrigeration/AC shop should be able to strip the fridge to bare cabinets for you. Should not cost more than 1k.

maybe next would be using fridge for a speaker cabinet. Open the fridge and you get a open baffle, close it to get a sealed/ ported box :D

maybe next would be using fridge for a speaker cabinet. Open the fridge and you get a open baffle, close it to get a sealed/ ported box :D

Seriously that sound like a good idea. All refrigerators have good amount of thermal insulation on the sides and the back. Now these insulation material do have sound insulation too.:)

We Indians never throw anything, not packing material. So how we can dispose such a big item? I am watching what is outcome. May be after removing compressor and electric stuff open the back and add mesh/net to that opened surface, stuff all the sides with some damping material. Then it could be used for the purpose. Door with locks to hide everything.

Without any major modifications, i thought the refrigerator can be used as a wardrobe for keeping some clothes and books.

Can't wait to see the final outcome of this very ambitious project! Would love to see it with all the hi-fi equip neatly stacked inside!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back